View Full Version : employment for a new CPL(H)

elpirata
30th Mar 2000, 00:33
Can any users enlighten me as to the prospects for overseas employment as a helicopter pilot with a new CAA CPL-H if they had for example 800 hours total + instructor rating, if they had a new B206 rating but all there flying had been on the R22/R44.

I do not really understand the mechanics of using a CAA CPL overseas i.e. do you have to do an air law exam in the country in which you wish to work and effectively convert to a foreign licence or can you use your CAA licence freestanding.

I am particularly interested in doing pleasure flying in the carribean or something like that.

I would welcome any helpful info or contact names/addresses etc.

nonegov
31st Mar 2000, 15:15
I am no expert but it seems there is a shortage of tour pilots available in Hawaii.
You could try contacting a few of the operators there and see if they would be prepaired to sponser you for a Work Visa.
You would have no problem converting to a US licence. I used to instruct in the US it usually took 4-8 hours in the R22 ($170/hr)
to prepare for the flight test ($250), you need a medical, (can be done in the UK, $60)
and the ground exam (can be done in the UK, $50).
There are no type ratings in the US. your licence will cover all helicopter types. Tour operators usually use the AS350 (Astar).
Off the top of my head the operators there are: "Blue Hawiian helicopters" "Maun Kea Helicopters" "Hawaii helicopters" "Sunshine helicopters" -Directory assistance my find the others for you.
email me if I can help further
Good Luck!

------------------

212man
1st Apr 2000, 00:03
Try http://justhelicopters.com They have an excellent jobs page, often with exactly what you are looking for.