PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe's New Format

Clive
1st Jan 2006, 06:20
Thanks Danny and Co. Great little prezzie for 2006.

The new format for our forum looks great and very easy to navigate around.

And it's all free !!!

Thanks again, and here's hoping 2006 is bigger on rumours and less on personal attacks.

Good luck to all in this place.

I'm tipping an even better year for aviation and a market place that should be a lot better for the professional aircraft pilot.

RomeoAlfa
1st Jan 2006, 07:05
Needs for improvement.
If I want to download the whole thread,what the tool?

Hobo
1st Jan 2006, 07:10
Haven't been on line for a while, is this a new format? Where's the Home page, and how will Danny make money, there don't appear to be any adverts.

The Voice
1st Jan 2006, 07:35
oohah .. another new look for the sand pit!

(I see we're back to the counting of posts as well .. ):uhoh: and more emoti-thingies!! :rolleyes:

rescue 1
1st Jan 2006, 07:43
Thanks to the Pprune team. Nice clean and fresh look.

Great job!!

Woomera
1st Jan 2006, 08:19
Yes, I wondered if I'd come through the wrong door!

:rolleyes:

Woomera

farrari
1st Jan 2006, 08:30
Sorry W, but you are getting like Casa, If it is not broken fix it any way, the old format for me was eaiser to look at and read.

amos2
1st Jan 2006, 08:54
So, this new thingy look...

and all the new thingy things...

achieves what?

and how do we work 'em?

Where's the Ops manual? :confused:

steinycans
1st Jan 2006, 09:27
Where's the Ops manual?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq

Draven
1st Jan 2006, 10:07
I like the new format :} :ok:

Like all new things it takes time to adjust.

Draven

Towering Q
1st Jan 2006, 14:01
Great new format.

How do I become a "registered user" instead of "just another number"?

Towering Q
1st Jan 2006, 14:03
Disregard that question...it just happened.:\

Jungmeister
1st Jan 2006, 23:03
How does one achieve "Rep Power" and what does it mean?

Why are we all "Off the scale"?

:confused:

At last a spell checker! How do we get people to use it?

Ridley
1st Jan 2006, 23:14
Chat and Email are now back online under the Quick Links at the top of the page.

Ridley

Team Player
2nd Jan 2006, 03:40
It`s only vBulletin - no big deal.

NAMPS
2nd Jan 2006, 03:45
Looks pretty funky. Obviously a few more functions that I'll have to check out.

OzExpat
2nd Jan 2006, 05:16
Thought that my browser had taken me to the wrong place yesterday, when I found that I had to sign in all over again! :o And then the bloody thing didn't want to accept me password! :o Dunno how that happened but, with thanks to a UK-based Admin, I'm obviously back in business and trying to learn how to fly this new-look-and-feel board.

Now all I gotta do is educate the browser to use me password properly... :o

OzExpat
2nd Jan 2006, 05:19
Thought that my browser had taken me to the wrong place yesterday, when I found that I had to sign in all over again! :o And then the bloody thing didn't want to accept me password! :o Dunno how that happened but, with thanks to a UK-based Admin, I'm obviously back in business and trying to learn how to fly this new-look-and-feel board.

And now I see that I gotta make sure to wait 60 seconds between posts... sheesh!

Zigzag
2nd Jan 2006, 09:43
Anyone else having trouble using the "search" function?

NAMPS
2nd Jan 2006, 09:54

And now I see that I gotta make sure to wait 60 seconds between posts... sheesh!

Hey OzExpat, hope you didn't try to use emoticons, otherwise you might have to add that to your list!! :p

Keg
2nd Jan 2006, 09:59
Hmmm. Funky stuff. Anyone konw what the 'rep power' is in the top right hand of the 'profile' of each person that posts? Is it anything to do with the 'add to reputation' button that is in the middle of the 'post number' and 'report bad posts' icon just above it?

I've just used the 'quick reply' so I hope it works! :eek:

Jungmeister
2nd Jan 2006, 10:05
I asked the same question earlier. You've got more than me. It must be something to do with the number of posts. That makes sense doesn't it!
J

Keg
2nd Jan 2006, 10:12
Dunno but both of us are 'off the scale'! ;) :p

VH-Cheer Up
2nd Jan 2006, 10:39
Just discovered... If someone likes your post, they can click on the scales and add to your 'reputation".

Try it... click on my post!

VHCU

Jungmeister
2nd Jan 2006, 10:44
There you are VH. I just gave you one. Guess what? I can't add one to my own!

NAMPS
2nd Jan 2006, 10:49
I thought "Rep Power" indicated how many bicep curls you could do:}

Don't worry jungmeister, I'll help you out with your reputation:ok:

P|_azbot
2nd Jan 2006, 12:13
Add an option to only display your selected forums when u log in. I only look at 3 or 4 but the list has 40 or so. You should be able to select what u want to view via profile. It is not hard, I have done it on other forums I have adminned.

Lord Snot
2nd Jan 2006, 14:37
Rep power?? Funky??

New format??

WTF are you guys talking about?

What's been changed??And it's all free !!!You'll find yourself banned for that sorta talk....

outhouse
2nd Jan 2006, 14:49
Like the new layout for the New Year and well done. I must try and improve my rating, I take it a zero indicates that I am not posting enough? I will try and improve my involvement in the coming year.
outhouse

amos2
3rd Jan 2006, 03:00
Well, I can post a reply using Netscape or Internet Explorer but not Opera!

Wot's going on? :confused:

OzExpat
3rd Jan 2006, 06:20
No NAMPS... that'd be silly eh? :}

Tigger4Me
3rd Jan 2006, 06:34
Anyone else having trouble using the "search" function?

Yes. It's not working at all for me.

drshmoo
3rd Jan 2006, 08:18
What does the rep power mean and the little green square below it? the new look is great, happy flying

Shmoo

amos2
3rd Jan 2006, 08:41
I suspect our questions are not being answered 'cause Woomera can't operate the new system either!

Then again he might be on holidays! :8

BEagle
3rd Jan 2006, 09:02
It seems that the 'reputation' thing has been binned. And a good thing too. Well done, team!

Woomera
3rd Jan 2006, 09:12
From what I can understand, rep = street cred. Fully sik:E

Those of you who are having trouble logging in, ie apparent password rejection: I'm no Einstein, but I went through heaps of settings, including the firewall. The problem I found was the old link in Favourites was causing the problem.

Delete the link, and manually load the website through the address line, and re-save it to your favourites...Fixed (for me, at least).

Amos2, we've never heard of Opera. So who cares? If it works with Netscape or the other one, why not use it?:} Why do you need 3 browsers anyway?:} :}

Woomera (Eastern States)

Keg
3rd Jan 2006, 10:05
Looks like ubb code doesn't work in the sig block either! :p

FlyLowCost
3rd Jan 2006, 10:07
Why the search tool doesn't work??

Vacant Towers
3rd Jan 2006, 10:24
The Woom is having trouble with his "favorites" link, I am having trouble when I try to reply to a thread, the thing comes back with the sign in box as if I hadn't signed in originally.

If this reply goes through then I do believe that either I have been thread banned elsewhere or there are little green men inside my computer.

Don't ya just love computers and their strange software

VT

PS I changed my 'favourites' link as well!

amos2
3rd Jan 2006, 10:45
The new search system is red hot! ;)

ravan
3rd Jan 2006, 10:45
At the risk of seeming computer illiterate ("wot's that you say, I am"), why do some posts come up wider than the rest even if there have been no pictures appended? It makes them harder to read.

amos2
4th Jan 2006, 07:57
Ain't this a typical example of the "dumbing down" of aviation today?...

and even on pprune!...

new system, new procedures, new problems, answers required...

answers forthcoming?...

nah!...who gives a stuff?

Come on, pprune moderators, get your act together...

some examples of efficiency required here!!! :{

Pinky the pilot
4th Jan 2006, 08:20
Still trying to sort it out m'self! Everything crashed the second time I logged on. Noted the number of posts had returned the first time but now they seem to have disappeared!:confused:
Rep power?? As a certain former Queensland pollie was known to have said........."Please explain?'' (somebody!!)

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Chadzat
4th Jan 2006, 08:46
hey where did the amount of posts people have disapear to? It was good to see if someone was a noob or not. :}

Keg
4th Jan 2006, 12:09
Any news on the search function that a couple of people have mentioned already? I just tried to search by username and got nothing back. :(

outhouse
4th Jan 2006, 13:49
Yes Keg, my search function has gone tits up, but I am sure that its only a minor hick up in the new lay out. Generally I think it’s a nice visual change for the New Year and that the ongoing bugs will be sorted soon.
outhouse

biton
11th Jan 2006, 01:45
just a quick question for woomera. Is there any way possible that previous posts dated before the format change-over can be pulled up? I am trying to search for some info but realised that the posts only go back as far as December 2005.

Woomera
11th Jan 2006, 02:00
biton

Ummmmm, eeeerrrm yes and no. :p !

For the record Danny and the IT gurus had to load through 32 upgrades of the original product to get to this stage as it is not posible to start from the latest version.

Over 24 hours during the New Year eve/daytime to minimise the disruption to PPRuNers
It is a powerful bit of kit.

But they are still tinkering under the bonnet with a number of functions all of which will enhance tour experience.

That means some (search for example) will be turned off for the moment until they recode the PPRuNe specific thingies. All this done voluntarily and around our normal day job commitments .:ok:

Please be patient the fault is not in your set, normal transmission will be resumed shortly.:eek:

SkySista
11th Jan 2006, 02:09
Ah good, I thought the iffy search thingy was just me... =)

Good work guys!