PDA

View Full Version : C-Span Interview of Commander of AbuGhraib Prison Commander

SASless
31st Dec 2005, 15:21
This came to me by e-mail a little while ago....might be interesting viewing.

CSPAN had retired Colonel and prominent military reformer Douglas Macgregor interview Janis Karpinski, former U.S. Army Reserve BG, about her book, "One Woman's Army: The Commanding General of Abu Ghraib Tells Her Story".

The interview will be telecast on Saturday, 31 December at 8 PM Eastern and Sunday on 1 January at 6PM and 9PM EST.

The first 30 minute segment is interesting, but the second 30 minute segment is down right explosive.

Two's in
31st Dec 2005, 18:03
SASless,

She was on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart the other week, very brief appearance to push the book, but nevertheless had no problems stating that everyone above her in the chain (and she is a 1*) was either aware of, or complicit in, the issues regarding the treatment of prisoners. Now the "she would say that, wouldn't she" crowd may have a point here, but she clearly has large cajones for someone in that position. She gets my vote.

brickhistory
31st Dec 2005, 18:11
quote:
(and she is a 1*)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAS a 1*.

Even if those above her knew of the stupidity by some of the MPs at the prison, and I am not buying all of that argument, her publicly stated defense is "I didn't know."

One heckofuva commander I'd say.......................deserved her court martial and subsequent demotion. She is NOT and cannot claim to be a general officer anymore.

BTW, have not seen any more on the BA army commander who authorized the freeing of two of his men from an Iraqi jail. I wholeheartedly support his decision. Has there been any more news/fall out? From the thread at the time, most thought he'd be canned. Any words?

SASless
31st Dec 2005, 18:28
Now Whoa!

She said she did not know but all those above her did know?

I would assume things have not changed since I was in the Army but that would be an iron clad cinch for getting your hind end handed to you!

I also remember that the commander was responsible even if they did not actually know of something. That was called Command Responsiblity. You owned the show...good or bad whether it was your action or in-action that caused the situtation.