PDA

View Full Version : world jobs?

mover
14th Sep 1999, 13:30
There has been lots of talk about flying helicopters on the Northsea and this does not look very hopeful indeed.
Does anyone know how job opportunities are in the rest of the world? Surely there most be a future for helicopterpilots somewhere!

Chip Lite
18th Sep 1999, 00:31
Not really!

dedhed
18th Sep 1999, 06:07
Helicopters---forget it,and get
a life.

tip path plane
18th Sep 1999, 14:44
Do you really think its that bad fellas, here in Australia there are always jobs advertised, however, experienced pilots only need apply. So that must make an opening somewhere along the feeding chain, i just cant seem to get that first bite.
Is the helo scene going under i think not. i certainly wont be giving up looking and im confident that i will find that first job soon..or am i still dreaming?
more an observation than a question.
cheers

mover
18th Sep 1999, 15:28
Well thanks Chip Lite and dedhed, I feel a lot better now!

Just kidding guys, I appreciate your honesty.

Would anyone care to comment on this article: http://www.heli.com/fall.html titled 'Anticipated Lack of Qualified Commercial Helicopter Pilots in the Future' from the Fall 1998 issue of Rotor?

SPLATR
18th Sep 1999, 17:48
I reckon the Australian scene is worth watching because if the oil price keeps wher eit is or goes up more, then the offshore scene will become a little healthier. Matter of supply and demand. Military here is paying very well at the moment so I would expect the supply of twin turbine experience to become less and while demand is low right now, there may be a glimmer of light in the future.

------------------
hmmmmm....what next?

barsandstars
19th Sep 1999, 05:19
If you are single things are not that bad, but I must say look very carefuly if you are married and have a family to support.
A guy to send your CV to is justhelicopters.com
Otherwise, it's the bloody obvious, ie. a huge phone bill phoning all those chief pilots and ops managers and basically sounding them out and making yourself known.
Good luck.

George Semel
21st Sep 1999, 05:25
Gee after 10 years of applying, I interviewed with Rocky Mountian Helicopters last week. I interviewed for an EMS position, flying a BK-117. I have no Multinengine Helicopter time. All of my time is in Bell 206's and Bell 47's. The gulf here in the states has been very dry do to low oil and gas prices. As for that Flight School's idea that there is a shortage of Helicopter Pilots is suspect at best. There is a shortage of guys with previous OAS/USFS cards for forrest/fire work. I belive that there will be a shortage of pilots in general, in the next ten to fifteen years. Its the insurance and the customer that more or less set the pilot experience level. You can't get a job in the gulf anymore with out an instrument rating, never mind the little fact is that 9 times out of 10 you end up in a 206 or A-star, VFR. The customer wants the instrument rating and a lot of guys don't have one or can afford to get one. I'm more or less lucky, I fly both fixed and rotor wing so having a job flying has never been much of a problem. On of the big things that did come up in the interview was the fact that Military Guys don't have enough flight time comming out of the service. As for my chances, I figure around a 30% chance of being offered the job. I don't know how it is in Europe or the rest of the world, but here in the States, the Rotor jobs are few and far between and we have a lot of avation here.