PDA

View Full Version : Flying the 737

lgt
30th Dec 2005, 21:52
Hi mates,

I am a 190 TT and I´m considering a 737 TR. I know it sound a bit tricky with just 190 hours
I would any 737 pilot to tell me if it would be very difficult to pass the Type Rating, concretely the simulator exam and t&g´s.

Thanks!!

flash8
31st Dec 2005, 12:56
With 190TT I assume you are fresh off an ICAO CPL/IR(ME) - just make sure you have a good scan as well as instrument skills in general. I don't know if I could have done it at 190TT but it won't be an easy ride (no pun intended).

Assuming its an EFIS a/c (simplisticly anything other than a -200) you might want to invest in something like the Aerowinx 744 simulator.

OK, its a Honeywell FMC emulation (similar to the Smiths though) and the PFD, MCP etc are a little different, but its a great intro to Boeing EFIS and Systems in general and normal/abnormal procedures.

Buy a copy of Bulfers 737 Cockpit Companion as well.

lgt
31st Dec 2005, 13:11
Thanks for your response!

Which equippment would I need to fly the 737?
What headsets would you recomend me (those fitting 737 CL and NG plugs)?
Thanks!

RYR-738-JOCKEY
31st Dec 2005, 15:32
It is an advantage to have experience, but there are those who regard totaltime as experience. 5000 hours in a Caravan would not give an individual a better potential for this TR. But 200 hrs MCC, IFR in a B200 would. As I see it, it comes down to your ability to quickly adapt a huge amount of information. The theory is not very complex, but you will need to memorise alot. I see the manuals like an encyclopaedia. There are important info in each sentence. The simulator part is divided in two. First you will learn the normal procedures, here you will learn what to do and when to do it. The second part is the non-normal/emergency part. This is the hard part. For this part you have to know the theory well, and the normal procedures. If you're lagging behind, this can be hell.
If you are current with your IFR skills, remember the ATPL theory well, and have good MCC skills, you will have a much better potential than an "experienced" guy (in the sence of loads of hours). It's a tough course but most guys who start will also finish it.

Fish Out of Water
31st Dec 2005, 18:23
You'll love it and find it no bother. I was 150hrs when I did mine, as were my some of my friends.

It's actually quite an advantage to be low houred as you don't develop habits and take them onto different a/c types. Plus as is already mentioned your scan rate is pretty high compared to most. Done a few thousand hours since and never looked back, enjoy it.

flash8
21st Jan 2006, 17:24
So you entered a 737 TR course with 150TT, am I right?
If so, what licence and ratings did you hold?
Just curious here really...

count dingleberry
22nd Jan 2006, 08:27
As long as you have your CPL with ME/IR and MCC you will be just fine.
I've done "time" in a 737 simulator with a guy who had about 3000 hrs TT(I had 270hrs TT), mostly from single day VFR instructing, and believe me, in the SIM both of us were like newborn babies....:ok: (there was a lot of crying and screaming for mommy going on in there)

p.s. I go to the gym

count d.

flash8
22nd Jan 2006, 08:48
OK, I'm not au fait with JAR stuff but 150TT and you have a Multi IR CPL, so I assume that it was integrated and not modular (not knowing a lot about the UK system but an educated guess)... I am aware of the entry requirements for the TR (after all I fly the 737 :) ) I was just surprised I guess about the 150TT... isn't that less than ICAO licence issue requirements?

When did this come in? Recently? I am kinda hazy about JAR, but have vague memories before training in the States/Canada of the CAA Integrated and Self-Improver Routes, the integrated as far as I recall was 200hr (this was late 90's).

scroggs
22nd Jan 2006, 12:09
By the time I had 300 hours, I had 'type ratings' (and instrument ratings) on two versions of the Jet Provost, the Hawk, The Hunter, the Jeststream and the C130 Hercules. I also had some experience in the Lightning. The difficulty of a type rating is not so much related to your flying hours as to the quality of your training to date and the amount of work you are prepared to put into your training.

Don't worry about your hours. If you've decided to pay for and work towards a type rating, give it all the effort you can. That's the crucial factor.

Scroggs

flash8
25th Jan 2006, 13:22
Scroggs, I'm sure the Military system is great, and you seemed to have done an impressive amount of flying at that 300 mark... and your point of Quality vs Quantity I'm in total agreement with... but onto the Civil stuff here....

I'm still curious about the 150TT, am I to assume a JAR-FCL CPL IR (A) is a total of 150TT to issuance? This can't be the case viz-a-viz ICAO.

If not how could one start a 737 TR with 150TT?

Is this the Skills test?

This is the third time I have asked this question now... its nagging me!

Nimbus5
25th Jan 2006, 15:03
The absolute minimum hours possible for a JAR Integrated course are 195 plus the skills test hours flown. Most FTOs include 5-10% more than this as very few students can pass the skills test with JAR minimum hours.

JAR Modular requires 150 hours to commence the CPL and 200 for CPL License issue. Some of those last 50 hours are earned on the CPL course and the remaining are usually knocked out during the IR and then the MCC adds even more.

I can only assume lgt is not licensed under the JAR system as he would not have a CPL/IR/MCC with only 190TT.

If there is a TRTO willing to take him on with 190TT under JAR they are probably breaking a few rules regarding pre-requisites for a TR! 100 hours PIC, ME, IR and MCC are training pre-requisites for an MPA Type Rating (Sec F4.1, page 14 - 2006 LASORS)

Nimbus5
25th Jan 2006, 15:11
May have to eat the above words already!

Header above this section says "Pre-requisite Conditions For Training".

Fine print in very next paragraph says "An applicant for the first type rating for a MPA shall provide evidence that the following requirements have been met.

It then goes on to list what I posted above. So the question is, when you sign up for a TR course, are you at that moment applying for a Type Rating, or is the application something you submit to the CAA/JAA after completing the TR course and when you meet the minima (which theoretically could be acheived after the TR course)?

I for one think it would be foolish to take such an approach and would prefer to meet the pr-requisites befor estarting a TR. Sheesh, it would be difficult enough even with 250 hours and CPL/ME/IR/MCC!!!