PDA

View Full Version : QuEsTiOn

Sean H
30th Dec 2005, 17:19
Can you do your atpl exams whenever you want? say with someone who has just got their ppl and has 60hrs TT?Is it better to do this and then do the CPL/MEIR ?

What is a JAR25 aircraft?

Charlie Zulu
30th Dec 2005, 18:34
You must have the theory examinations passed before the flight courses.

As you are looking to obtain a JAA CPL/IR ME then you will need the JAA ATPL exams passed (or JAA CPL and IR exams) before you start the courses.

The only requirement to enter the exam room is to be a holder of an ICAO PPL.

A JAR 25 aircraft is otherwise known as a Performance Class "A" aircraft. It covers the regulations required for Jet aircraft, no matter the size and Multi Engine Turbo Prop aeroplanes with maximum seating of more than 9 passengers or greater than 5700 kg MTOM.

JAR23 covers piston powered aeroplanes and turbo prop aeroplanes with 9 seats or less and a weight less than 5700 kgs.

They are similar to the FAR23/FAR25 regulations in the USA.

Sean H
30th Dec 2005, 20:35
Thanks. So after I have my PPL got. Where do I go to do the exams? What books will I use? the trever thom ppl books , will they do? How long is the atpl exams valid for? like how does it work compared to the ppl exams were once their all complete your given 24months to do your ppl skill test. is this the same with atpl and is their an atpl skills test?

thanks

AIRWAY
30th Dec 2005, 20:40
You can go to an approved school, sometimes you see their banners advertising their product here @ PPRuNe... or try a search, using pprune search engine and you will notice quite a few topics regarding ATPL exams/study... PPL books will not do for ATPL theory...

powdermonkey
30th Dec 2005, 21:20
There are 14 ATPL exams to sit, and you must do them with an approved FTO, who will sign you off to actually sit the exams after having done gound school with them. You may do this this by distance learning, for which you will study usually 7 subjects, followed by 2 weeks ground school then the sign off to sit the 7, then you do the same for the next 7. During your study time, you must complete on-line exams ( progress tests ), or you can do it full time and not having done it this way, I am not sure what it involves, but generally means you get through them quicker, having the benefit of teachers explaining the material to you.....as opposed to you slogging it out at home! once you have completed the ATPLs, ( you have 18 months to finish, with 4 attempts per subject from the day of your first sitting), then you generaly have do go and do some hour building to get you to the stage when you can start your 25hr CPL course ( you will need 70hrs pilot in command time ). Then you will do your multi engine, multi instrument rating, night rating and multi crew course. You may change the order of these however....
It is tough going, but step by step you can get there!
Best of luck
:ok

Sean H
30th Dec 2005, 23:09
So how much would the ATPL exams cost me?
And also as to a rough Idea , how much would the 25hr CPL course cost? and a MEIR? MCC? B737NG type rating?

Just give me sum rough figures ?

thanks,

Deano777
30th Dec 2005, 23:57
Modular about £2000. plus £840 for the exam fees, plus accomodation & expenses x 2 at the exam venue and your 2 week brush up, which I would say would be anywhere between £400 - £600 for each mod.

Hr building to take you from 60hrs to 150hrs, lets say £100p/h, thats £9,000 (cheaper if you look for packages or go abroad)

25hr CPL about £4500 with £690 test fee and the aircraft solo hire for a couple of hrs so another £240 ish.

MER £1800 - £2000

IR £11,000 - £13,000 with £690 test fee & about 2hrs solo hire on twin, add another £500 give or take.

MCC anywhere between £2000 & £6000 dependant on where and with whom you want to take it with.

737SSTR £20,000 give or take.

You do the sums

Dean

Oh

And thats provided you obtain 1st time passes in everything, good luck :)