PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties upgrading my RAM

M1900
29th Dec 2005, 16:15
I am trying to increase the RAM on my PC with not much success. It is a Dell Dimension XPS T series built in 2000 with a Pentium 3 processor (700 MHz) and 128mb of RAM. There are 2 spare memory slots and, according to crucial.com and powerleap.com system scans, the machine can take a total of 768Mhz of RAM.

I have tried 2 different recommended 256mb memory cards (SDRAM, DIMM, PC100, non-parity etc etc), and neither will allow the machine to start up.

With each card I get the following message.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32\Drivers\pci.sys

Taking out the 256Mb card and with only the original 128Mb card, the machine starts fine. So for some reason, the machine doesn't like the new 256Mb card.

Has anyone seen this before, or knows what is happening?
More importantly, is there anything I can do to fix it and get this card working in the machine?

effortless
29th Dec 2005, 16:34
It would help to know your OS. It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem as you get Windows error mesage. Go to set up at start up and make sure that you have enabled the necesary bios instructions. Usually pressing delete at boot will get you there. I cannot tell you off hand which page to go to but you will learn more if you browse it on your own. Once you are sure that the memory is recognised in BIOS, use your Win setup disc to restore the file.

Microsoft bumpf here. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=330181)

M1900
29th Dec 2005, 16:41
My operating system is Windows XP (Home), and I think Service Pack 2 has been loaded.

DaveO'Leary
29th Dec 2005, 17:01
DIMMs must be 168-pin unbuffered. DDR DIMMS must be 184-pin unbuff.

good luck

effortless
29th Dec 2005, 17:06
The first thing that you must check is that you are using the correct RAM. I believe that the T series uses PC133, SDRAM.

BlueEagle
29th Dec 2005, 22:20
I upgraded my Dell Dimension 8100 from 256 to 512 but I had to get the RAM from Dell. Crucial said it was upgradeable but they couldn't supply.

Conan the Librarian
29th Dec 2005, 22:29
Best bet, is to take the existing Ram out and walk it down to the local supplier and get them to supply the same sort.

Conan

Saab Dastard
29th Dec 2005, 22:48
I suggest that you use the KINGSTON RAM configuration tool - I recently upgraded a Dell Dimension 4100 for my brother-in-law and went from 128 to 512 sweet as a nut! Sourced Kingston RAM via ebuyer.co.uk

Also went from Windows ME to XP and trebled the HD capacity, but that's another story.

You should be able to find the Dell part number on the module you've got, then check the same part against what Kingston says the OEM part number is, then buy the next size up. Doesn't always work, though, as OEM part numbers and upgrade / replacement part numbers are often different.

SD

GrumpyOldFart
30th Dec 2005, 00:45
Had a similar problem when I upgraded my P3/500 (also 2000 vintage) - can't remember the exact error message, but although I was promised PC133 RAM would be backward-compatible, turned out my machine needed PC100 - absolutely trouble-free when that was rectified (even with Win98!). Might be worth double-checking.

moleslayer
30th Dec 2005, 09:27
I'm not sure this will be of much help M1900...........but........

I have exactly the same machine as you, even built same year, and I have this week fitted 2 x 256MB cards into the spare slots giving 640MB.

The cards came from crucial and are :-

256MB 168-PIN DIMM 32x64 SDRAM UNBUFF PC100 LOW PROFILE

CT32M64S4D8E.16LTG

(That's taken straight off the celophane card cover)

All I did was click them in, started up and followed the on-screen wizard instructions. No probs.
Not much help to you I know, but at least you know it is poss.

The missing file you quoted is not on my machine either !!

moley.