PDA

View Full Version : Emirates Airlines experiences going home for X Mass

outhouse
29th Dec 2005, 11:01
Trying to get home for the festive season from Doha the other night on the 3.45 PM flight to Paris through Dubai. Travelling First Class, arrived at the desk at 12.00 expecting to be booked and then an easy drift round duty free and a pleasant relax in the lounge. WRONG, fog in Dubai, and no booking staff available as all had been sent home.
The aircraft on the 3.45 service was still trying to depart Doha for the 23.00 Dubai service it seemed, this information came from a very nice Qatar Airways lady passing the book in desk and trying to avoid questions from about 180 odd passengers milling around the desk at 1 in the morning.
It seems I was lucky; I had the carpet by the first and club class-booking desk to lie on for 5 hours as we all eagerly waited for information.
As first in the line I was lucky! The first and club would be booked on the 09.00 the rest on the 15.00 flight if seats available and we would be booked onto onward flights. Still no booking staff available, a rather dim chap from the handling agency (Qatar Airways) started the procedure for first and club, 40 minutes later I had a boarding pass for the first leg and an assurance I was booked on the Paris leg and to collect my pass at the transit desk at Dubai. After 3 hours in the lounge a chap 5 behind me in the line at the desk arrived having just managed to be booked onto the flight. All not proceeding well and the police making sure no trouble was able start at the desks for the SLF who still waited at the desks.
Feeling that all was not as it seemed decided to check onward booking using a contact phone number I had from a previous trip. NO onward booking and flight from Doha delayed, expected arrival in Dubai giving 20 minutes to reach later Paris flight.
At this point I lost my cool and contacted the Emirates Airlines manager direct, suddenly we had book in staff available in the lounge, boarding tickets and the illusion of some organisation.
As expected the flights were really good and the girls gave really good service, arrived Paris 7 hours late incurring a hotel bill for 200 odd euros and 40 to change my booking on the TGV the next day.
Please, never believe information given in circumstances like above always check, if you have information of interest pass on to fellow travellers (all other passenger onward bookings had not been confirmed). Insist on confirmation to onward bookings in writing. NEVER rely on transit availability quickly at Dubai you can stand in the queue for ages and still not get a result and still miss you onward flight.
In passing had a really good festive time at home and expecting!!! Some good service on flights in the New Year.
outhouse