PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled tasks and passwords

Onan the Clumsy
27th Dec 2005, 12:36
Yesterday I set up a series of nightly backup tasks using NTBACKUP and when I checked this morning, this morning's hadn't run. I tried to manually kick it off, but no joy there either.

When I looked later, it said "The scheduled task did not run because no user account password was entered".

I checked the properties box for the task and under Run As, it has my account...but my account doesn't HAVE a password.

Any ideas anyone?

===

wtf? I set up another account and gave the account a password. I then changed the task to use that account and provided that password and it worked :confused:

Do I HAVE to use a password protected account to run a scheduled task?

Onan the Clumsy
28th Dec 2005, 12:19
Interesting, because I found a Knowledge Base article (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/agent_change_schedule.mspx) that said exactly the opposite, namely that passwords were NOT required :confused:
You can change or set a new password by selecting the Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish check box on the final page of the wizard. Passwords are not required.

Yours is obviously the more correct of the two :(

Because I didn't want a pw on my account, I have to create a second one that then appears on my Welcome screen. I did find this (http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBQ/tip8400/rh8453.htm) as a way to hide the account, though it seems a little involved. The ASP.NET account gets hidden, so it must be possible.

Keygrip
16th Mar 2006, 13:53
Well - the power of the "Search" function. Onan has asked exactly my question, and I too was told that you don't need passwords (and I certainly don't want one).

Did anybody get any further? My desktop PC runs 24/7, my laptop plugged in when I need it.

Use laptop to run as an alarm clock when I'm on the road (hotels) and it wakes me with nice music - but means that I (currently) have to have a password - which means I have to enter it every time I power up. Not good.

Repeat of paragraph 2. Did anybody get any further?

TightSlot
16th Mar 2006, 14:31
Does your PC have a screen saver that requires a password to return to the main screen once it has started in - No idea if this would operate at a lower level, but it crossed my mind as a maybe?

BOAC
16th Mar 2006, 14:40
I certainly always have to fill in the (2) password boxes to get sched b/up to run. I guess for a 'no p/word' account 2 'enters' would suffice?

Conan the Librarian
16th Mar 2006, 15:58
I reckon it should work if the machine is logged onto the main Administrator account of XP. You can create other accounts with administrator rights of course, but if you are on the main account then it shouldn't cough.

Conan