View Full Version : 500 Hour Jobs and what pay should you be getting (Australia)

Ray McCooney
27th Dec 2005, 02:02
G'day,

I joined the industry at the end 04, now having spent just over a year flying tourist around and clocking up 504 hours I would like to try and find another job for the next tourist season.

The people I have met in the industry all seem to say that with 500 hours other helicopter operators will look at you for employment.

Why is this?
I dont consider 500 alot of hours Infact I really am still learning the very basics of my trade. So why do operators like this figure?

I would really like to do another season in the tourism flights side of things with maybe some other charter/aerial work. Which operators are the ones to approach and how many hours a year should you average. I dont want to leave the job I'm in to go and fly less somewhere else!

I clocked up 391 hours this season, is that above or below the average?

My last question is how much should I be getting paid, again what's the average out there for this type of work?
I should add that I know I am lucky to have a job in the industry but I really want to fly more and build up my experience, However if nothing better comes along I will be happy to stay with the company I am with.

I really dont know very many other pilots that are working hence the questions. Thanks in advance for any repies.

BigMike
27th Dec 2005, 07:19
Ray, why do you wont to leave? Stick with the company you are at until you have done 2 years, and then start looking around. It is a good thing to stay for a reasonble time with each employer to show some commitment, especially if they have given you some training or ratings along the way.

Pay, check out the award at the afap.org.au site: http://afap.org.au/files/AV8BANS5GE/Heli%20GA%20AFAP.pdf

391 hours is not bad for your first year. Hours depends on the job. 500 hours is good, but 1000 is much better. Stay where you are until have that.

Dont be in a big hurry. The grass is not always greener on the other side believe me.

Hilico
27th Dec 2005, 08:55
Could the 500-hour bar be some insurance requirement? Actuaries do that kind of thing.

Ray McCooney
27th Dec 2005, 09:38
Thanks for the replies,
Big Mike the only reason I want to leave is to fly more. In the tourist side of things there is alot of sitting around doing nothing, you can only clean the helicopter so many times in one day!
The two year commitment is actually what i had in mind when I got the job in the first place but the limited friends I have tell me they are almost maxing out on flight time with the companies they work for! so that is why I have thought about a change. In saying that the mob I work for are excellent, the treat us well but the pay is ****e (as can be expected for low time pilots in this country) I was just putting my feelers out to see what kind of replies I might get.
If anyone else has some information please post it or pm me I know lots of low timers like me use this site to gain info on the state of the industry.

Ray

BigMike
27th Dec 2005, 10:45
Ray, as I said, dont be in a big hurry. So you have friends who tell you they are maxing out there hours, big deal. In your own words, the company you work for are a good bunch and are doing the right thing. Be patient.
You have a lot to learn. Do the right thing by the guys you are working for now. If you said you would give them 2 years, and they hired you on that basis, then stay. I stayed just over 2 years in my first job, got my 1000 hours, and left on very good terms.

Being known for doing the right thing, and being true to your word will help you a lot in the future. This is a very small industry.

overpitched
27th Dec 2005, 19:23
One thing you don't mention Ray is what you are flying. If you are flying a turbine or the company you work for has a mixed fleet and yoy have the oportunity to get reasonable turbine hours I would suggest you stay right where you are till you get 1500 hours including at least 500 turbine.

If you only have access to pistons I would get about 1000 hours before trying to move up into a turbine job somewhere else.

I have heard that the industry average in Australia is about 5 years to get your first 1000 hours so that may give you an idea as to how you are going.