PDA

View Full Version : Police Pilot Salary??

I.R.PIRATE
26th Dec 2005, 16:25
I wonder if anyone out there could give me an indication of the salary paid by the SAPS Airwing??

mattman
26th Dec 2005, 17:02
Howzit Pirate
I have also wondered, would not mind to turn a couple of laps over pta in a porter. How's the mountains your side?:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Dec 2005, 17:09
I tried to join the Air Wing as a reservist and got told they didn't need pilots. They suggested I spend my time sitting behind a desk in a charge office picking my nose. Don't think you'll be allowed anywhere near their toys, Mattman. The policy appears to be that pale males aren't welcome (So, what else is new? :rolleyes: ) no matter what your qualifications.

MysticFlyer
26th Dec 2005, 17:15
Well, after I heard how crime figures dropped during one holiday season in P-town with a single, or was it two Oryx (plural's a bl1ksem here) and a couple of door-sitters with R4's!

Just imagine what a single draadkar and a 20mm can do for you?

Why do you ask, you're planning what?
:E

(No hard feelings, right? I saw your length and I beat you with about 'n halwe duim!)

mattman
26th Dec 2005, 17:16
So sad yet so true:(
Oh well just have to terrorize the skies in different part of the world:E
I was just wondering how they hire and what's there policy on time and experiance, last I heard(a long time ago) they hired a female pilot straight from flight school.
Sad to know all this experiance outside SA is not coming home :(

I.R.PIRATE
26th Dec 2005, 18:12
Howzit Matt, we not quite yet at the level of winter you shared here with us, snow in the Bamyan and Faiz areas, with the temps down to about -10, but they predict the 1st snow for thursday and friday, temps dropping down to -18........brrrrrr, again

MF, no hard feelings ever, just looking around for something new to do. I did meet a (PPP) pale police pilot a few weeks ago, however I never ask those questions up front. Sounds like quite a lekker job though.

Spetsnaz
26th Dec 2005, 19:16
They are definitely following the BEE principle with hiring for the airwing. They recruited a few experienced officers and trained them alongside some who hadn't been sworn in yet. They gave the folks at Port Alfred a few grey hairs (he! he!), but now do ab initio elsewhere. Recruitment is similar to airforce with batteries of aptitude tests et al. Hey that Porter flies LOW -rules dont apply - !?

MysticFlyer
26th Dec 2005, 19:28
O, the underminers, no more PA for them either?

I'm working to change all of this...Kamp Doringdraad for the out-of-line instructors is coming along sweetly! :E

To find a job, even as a policeman, that takes quite a Sherlock....for him to fly aeroplane.....eischhhh, I WON'T BEElieve!

I say, it's a lemon entry....I mean elementary, my dear Watson!

B200Drvr
28th Dec 2005, 09:04
Sorry guys, I believe SAPS Airwing is a no go. I spoke to one of the senior guys there and he said that they no longer do their own recruiting, it is done by SAPS HR who dont know a pilot from a police dog!!
He told me it is very BEE and that a 12000 hour dual rated pilot with 2000hrs t/wheel and 10000hrs turbine was passed over in favour of a BF with a F/W comm. (the advert was for a dual rated F/W & R/W pilot)
On the bright side the money is not bad with the perks and stipends.

I.R.PIRATE
28th Dec 2005, 12:52
Ahh....but its now what you know, or what colour you are.....ITS WHO KNOWS YOU!!!!

Gunship
28th Dec 2005, 15:42
Well maybe as you say it is who you know ..

I phoned a high - up friend.

He was seriously looking for pilots (real pilots yah know) - those with rotors man :ok:

I.R.PIRATE
28th Dec 2005, 19:22
Rotors....all their planes have rotors, just not all in the same plane......or size....but a prop's a prop ou perd...APAPOP

except for the Mitsubishi of course......(B400)

Gunship
29th Dec 2005, 09:50
Nee hulle het hom gasoek by die fan wat die pilot koud hou :E

His words was : "I need anybody ... no racial sh&t ..."

Hours and type rating I would take immediately ?

I saw a P Porter the other day over Blouwberg area ... shame the South Easter was pumping boet ... the poor man must have logged his week's hours to return to DF M :E

I.R.PIRATE
29th Dec 2005, 10:06
Now to figure out .... does he want someone or not??:E If yes, please PM me, thanks

Gunship
17th Jan 2006, 17:03
Well maybe as you say it is who you know ..
I phoned a high - up friend.
He was seriously looking for pilots (real pilots yah know) - those with rotors man :ok:

Well some PPRUNERS listened to old Gunss and one got a job - the other is short listed :ok:

Basic Captains start at R128 K plus R80 allowances all depending on previous experience of course.

WELL DONE .. you know who ... :E:E:E

I.R.PIRATE
17th Jan 2006, 17:22
Well done to the mystery pilot.........
I.R.slinks back to his corner to hide:{
Takes out his calculator and starts to scare himself with the figures of becoming a REAL pilot.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Jan 2006, 19:29
They don't call the police dog "Brain on a chain" for nothing...:E :ok:

B Sousa
17th Jan 2006, 20:41
Basic Captains start at R128 K plus R80 allowances all depending on previous experience of course.

Thats good, considering the Rotary jobs in Nigeria are going for around R360k/yr, Month on/Month off..... But you get free coffee with a badge.

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Jan 2006, 21:03
But you get to sleep in your own bed most nights and there's less chance of being shot at than a contract pilot...:ugh:

policepilot
18th Jan 2006, 01:12
Gunnnss
Could you conferm that salary again. If it's R128 K per month, then my cv's in the post, if it's per annum then that's blood money unless there's other perks not mentioned.
Next time I speak to anyone from the dog unit I'll pass on the 'brain on a Chain'. I've had cases when the observers on board have told the dog man to stop running as on thermal imaging we can see his dog is now chasing a cat.
IR Pirate, it is a lekker job.

I.R.PIRATE
18th Jan 2006, 02:14
I know mate, that why I want to join. Tired of wasting my energy on the criminals of other countries....time to focus on home turf now!!:E

Gunship
18th Jan 2006, 04:05
Gunnnss
Could you conferm that salary again. If it's R128 K per month, then my cv's in the post, if it's per annum then that's blood money unless there's other perks not mentioned.

Roughly R200k per annum. Depending on experience.

I personally think it is not a bad sallary.

Would love to know what certain PPRUNERS here:E earned when they where the young Guns at the cops :E

Bet you about R8k to R10 k per month

Figo
15th Feb 2006, 05:31
I recently applied for the fixed wing pilot jobby at police...does any1 no wat their minimum requirements r? N more importantly do they give you a Skiet, Skop N Donder course if u get in? :ouch:

B200Drvr
15th Feb 2006, 06:20
AA, unless you have someone very big in your corner.