PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on Deck??

macumba
26th Dec 2005, 12:39
I am a new hire on an airline in SE Asia.

Is it usual to smoke while flying a Passenger or Cargo Jet, right in the cockpit?

Is this usual practice in Asia?

I thought that smoking was banned worldwide.

freightmover
28th Dec 2005, 08:33
it happens... y wouldnt it .... it happens all round the world..

BANANASBANANAS
28th Dec 2005, 08:52
It should not happen if your company terms and conditions and/or local legislation prohibit it. Check your Company Ops Manual and local legislation first to be absolutely sure of your facts. Then, if smoking is not allowed, politely inform the "offender" that you will report him if he does not extinguish immediately.

FYI, there are many ongoing court cases in Europe and USA (Asia will follow) where non smoking cabin crew have developed lung cancer as a proven and direct result of passive smoking in an aircraft cabin.

Captn B'Ollocks
28th Dec 2005, 16:07
Yeah AIDS has happened as well as a direct result of sh@@ing

mainwheel
28th Dec 2005, 18:17
BB's,

If a guy is on a freighter, out of the cockpit and in the galley, and arc's up, should he be reported????

BANANASBANANAS
29th Dec 2005, 06:35
If legislation and/or the company terms's and conditions prohibit it and he refuses to extinguish after a polite request. Yes, without a doubt! And I would not do it behind his back. I would tell him to his face that I was reporting him. Just because it's a freighter (Dangerous goods etc etc?) does not mean that rules can be ignored. If the rules allow it then fair enough; if they don't then please comply with the regulations. Its not rocket science.

A few voyage reports from non smokers along the lines of "Packs operated in high flow for duration of flight to mitigate effects of crew smoking - extra 1% fuel burned as a result" might cause a tightening up of some company's smoking policies or knock a hole in profit share schemes.

Nicotine patches are readily available in chemists and through AME's for those that can't cope with their drug addiction for the duration of a flight.

I was tempted to ignore Capt Testicles literary eloquence but the point that he has so conveniently missed is that wrt Aids you, by and large, reap what you sow. However, passive smoking is indiscriminate and kills a large number of non smokers. Hence, all the ongoing court cases. :=

Have a little consideration, please, smokers and respect the legislation when smoking is banned by confining your carcinogenic and foul smelling habits to either the great outdoors or the smoking rooms that airports conveniently provide for you.

If I go to a public place where smoking is not banned and people are smoking then I have the option to leave. That option is not available in an aircraft (freighter or otherwise) and some consideration from the smokers towards their fellow workers would be most appreciated.

Otherwise I go back onto my diet of Guinness, Boiled Cabbage, Baked Beans and Pickled Onions and let you savour the by-products of my bad habits!

high_vibration
29th Dec 2005, 13:29
Macumba, who's smoking?
It was the Chief pilot = :cool:
It was a TRE = :rolleyes:
It was your TRI = :zzz:
It was a senior Captain = :hmm:
It was the PIC = :*
It was the F/O = :yuk:
It was the most beautiful F/A = :E

kwaiyai
3rd Jan 2006, 02:06
Hi Macumba,
Does Your company have a Operation policy Manual or similar? What does it say about Smoking on the Flt deck? Similar problem in my company- It states: Smoking forbidden in the cockpit. Yet is still goes on, I remember the CP at the time writing a memo about it too but nothin happened. Even the then Chief went on about smokers who cant go for a few hrs without a fag going aft.I am an ex smoker and a tolerant one too but like you I am tired of rules not being followed and feeling like a trouble maker if I say anything. Best bet mate is just go to the chief with the Manual and show em.
Regard's,

macumba
7th Jan 2006, 11:41
Thanks for the replies, guys.

It is a little difficult to speak up to the Pilots, F/E, and the occasional Mechanic riding on the back, when all of them smoke at the same time.

It is like going against 75 % of the people.

Yes, it is a no/no, written up in the Operation Manual. I just wanted to get a general feeling, if this is the norm in SE-Asia. If so, I am not interested in getting my career up and going here and better return to civilization as soon a possible.

Thanks again.

411A
7th Jan 2006, 18:32
In my present airline, nearly everyone smokes on the flight deck (there are a few exceptions, of course), so I do likewise...a nice Cuban cigar.
This works wonders...the cigaretts disappear quite rapidly.
Never understood why....?:E

Of course, sometimes they smoke even more, so i carry a goodly supply of Fidel's finest.

PS: The company has no particular policy, so its SCD.

BANANASBANANAS
8th Jan 2006, 14:09
Check your PMs Macumba.

GroundScot
16th Jan 2006, 15:03
Not the Norm unless you are using wet/dry lease Turkish crews that smoke like chimneys...............

Nothing seems to make an impact on them........... DCA, company regs or pax complaints - all dismissed with a shrug of the shoulder

CAT IIIB
17th Jan 2006, 01:45
In my present airline, nearly everyone smokes on the flight deck (there are a few exceptions, of course), so I do likewise...a nice Cuban cigar.

Wow,a smokin' flight deck!
Where is this airline of yours?I would love to join them!Sounds fun.

How come the passengers never complain about the cigars?

LindbergB767
17th Jan 2006, 02:52
Try Vietnam Airlines no problem with smoke

411A
19th Jan 2006, 02:25
The passengers never know, CAT IIIB, except when they come on up for a short visit...:}

Thermal Image
19th Jan 2006, 09:07
The passengers never know, CAT IIIB, except when they come on up for a short visit...:}

Quite the opposite.

From personal experience, many times whilst in first class on a 747-400, I have smelt cigarrete smoke, which was later confirmed to be coming from the cockpit (whether from the pilots or the cabin crew who went up to have a smoke, when smoking was not yet banned in the cockpit but banned in the cabin).

It could be that I'm not a smoker, so my sense of smell and taste is better then most smokers who don't know that they stink.

coco-nuts
20th Jan 2006, 20:26
411 im with Cat3B, ill come puff a cubana or 5 with yer mate. Lol! Ive heard rumours that some senior people do smoke in cockpits. I reckon the best counter for someone who does smoke would be chewing tobacco.

cheers
coco

GlueBall
21st Jan 2006, 14:50
No Smoking in my cockpit, or anywhere on the upper deck, sorry guys. But downstairs on the main deck...[cargo or pax ferry] it's another story.... :eek:

BANANASBANANAS
21st Jan 2006, 16:28
I can't remember the exact wording but the Certificate of Airworthiness for the 74F I fly specifically states that smoking is not allowed anywhere on the aeroplane.

Good call Thermal Image. I'm with you on this one.