PDA

View Full Version : Windows wireless network setting

Ella Valet
26th Dec 2005, 08:04
I have 6 PC's networked via 3Com wireless gateway, sharing files, printer, scanner, internet ADSL etc. No problems, except:

1 PC refuses to auto connect to the WLAN after reboot. Every time we have to go to Network Connections/Properties/Wireless and tick the "Use Windows to configure wireless network settings" box, then it connects. After every reboot this tick box has been cleared. I want the tick to stay set, as it does in the other 5 PC's, but how?

This PC is running XP Pro/SP1 (others have a variety of XP including Home NL/SP2, Home EN/SP2, Pro/SP2). All settings for WLAN, TCP/IP etc look identical to the others. It has a static IP (following some troubles with DHCP) as do all the others (all different static addresses of course) bar one. The SSID is hidden but the network is listed under Preferred Networks, WEP is enabled. The PC has a LAN card as well but it is disabled. As soon as the tick box is set the connection works perfectly.

How can I stop this tick box from being cleared after reboot?

Thanks,
-EV-

Gouabafla
26th Dec 2005, 13:41
First thought is to ask whether you have the Wireless adaptor's own software configured to make the connection.

Most wireless adaptors come with their own software that has lots of bells and whistels (which you don't need). This software can sometimes conflict with windows meaning that nothing connects to the network. So, the first step is to make sure that you disable the adaptors own software package.

Onan the Clumsy
26th Dec 2005, 14:25
Gouabafla got there before me. I had a similar situation where I got a message asking me to choose between a Netgear or XP to control the adapter. There was also a check box for "don't show this message again".

Ella Valet
26th Dec 2005, 16:59
Fantastic guys! I had a look around and the adapter did indeed have its own software in the Startup. Removed it, rebooted, and lo! behold! instant connection to the network with no fiddly tick work necessary. One less irritation in the wonderful Windows experience.

Thanks again. :D :ok:

-EV-