PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight ditches off Queensland beach.

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Dec 2005, 06:45
Source: ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1538102.htm)

Police on the central Queensland coast will attempt to recover an ultra-light plane that crashed into the water off a beach this morning.

A 53-year-old man had been taking his 46-year-old sister-in-law on a joy flight when his Kitfox aircraft's engine failed.

The pilot failed to make an emergency landing on the beach at Stockyard Point, north of Yeppoon.

Rockhampton Police District Inspector, Graham Coleman, says campers in the area witnessed the crash and rescued the pair in dinghies.

"He's attempted to land on the beach but crashed into the water some distance from the beach," he said.

"It would appear that both the pilot and the female passenger have received minor injuries, just some possible back injuries and some harness bruising.

"They will be conveyed to hospital for observation and treatment and police will investigate the accident."

The first man on the scene of the crash says he feared the worst, after seeing the splash it created when it hit the ocean.

Brendan Clare, a nurse, says he was relieved to see the pair sitting on the plane's wings when he arrived.

"They were pretty shaken up," he said.

"It didn't hit the pilot until a little bit after, when he sat down and obviously then it started to hit him a bit.

"But the other lady was pretty shaken up from the start."

----------------------------------------

Skynews just showed pictures of the aircraft up on the beach and looking still in one piece other than the 3 bladed prop. Pilot said it flipped on it's back on hitting the water. Good to see all are ok!

185skywagon
9th Jan 2006, 01:54
Yesterday Sunday Mail(Kay Dibben):"I thought for a moment he might have been joking. Then I looked at him and I knew – he was in 'how to crash a plane mode' as a pilot."
She said the plane, which developed problems at about 1500m, probably took only two or three minutes to go down, but it felt like more than 10 minutes.
"I just had flashes of my family, my three children, and my husband and what a beautiful day we'd shared the day before on Christmas Day and I was glad that we were all together for that," she said.
"Then I thought how do you actually die in a plane crash? When you hit the ground how does that feel, what happens to you, what happens to the plane?"
Mr Toft, 53, a pilot for 30 years, put the landing gear down and managed to bring the plane close enough to the beach so that they crashed in shallow water, between rocky outcrops.
"He said, 'Hang on, Des, I'll get us there. It will be OK'," Mrs Van Rosendal said.
The plane crashed in the sand tail-first, before flipping over on its roof.

This was a Skyfox or Kitfox.
Quality reporting, along with a general article on the dangers of air travel in Qld.
See here.
Sunday mail (http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17757459%255E2765,00.html)

karrank
9th Jan 2006, 02:24
The blurb said the empty tank "stopped the fuel pump drawing fuel from another tank." Does the Kitfox have (or need) a fuel pump?

Is the fuel system perhaps like a C150 and you can't swap tanks? Can negative pressure in one tank disable the fuel system?

Fris B. Fairing
9th Jan 2006, 03:17
From the Sunday-Mail
A PLANE CRASHES EVERY FORTNIGHT
I reckon they should ground it.

Horatio Leafblower
9th Jan 2006, 11:48
Karrank,

Assuming the Kitfox is the same as or similar to the Skyfox (they use, or can use, the same donk) then you have the engine driven pump at the front of the engine (driven off the gearbox actually) and an electric auxilliary pump in-line between the wing tanks and the fuel on/off selector.

I regret to say I have over 500 hours on 'em and the only way the pump will fail to draw fuel is if there is an excess of air in the tanks :rolleyes:

thinks: If I can post technical answers about a Skyfox can I start hanging around on the Tech forum?