PDA

View Full Version : This is what passengers are saying about security....

What_does_this_button_do?
21st Sep 2001, 12:22
from news.bbc.co.uk

A BBC News Online reader who travels frequently between the US and UK has raised questions about airport security. Following the attacks in America - how safe is it for travellers flying back to Europe from the United States, and are American airports any safer?

I travel frequently from this airport, but even a week after the attacks, there was no sign of any different security arrangements at the terminal check-in.

I was still allowed to take my suitcase and computer case as hand luggage.

There were a couple of women checking tickets to ensure that only passengers were walking through to the departure area, but that was all.

I was interested to see how they would treat the pilot standing in front of me. I thought they would have given him closer scrutiny, but they just waved him through.

I had read that British airports were confiscating sharp objects, but the metal detector failed to pick up my Swiss army compact which includes scissors and a separate nail file.

At the x-ray machines, someone was being trained on how to use the machine. He was being told what to look for but what stuck in my mind was that there was a card illustrating all sorts of things that he should be looking for.

I remember being particularly alarmed when the man training him said: "This is what a knife looks like."

Then, I just thought: 'Oh, golly'.

I was expecting my bag to be opened, especially as I was carrying a computer. But they just came down the conveyor and I walked off.

There were no further x-ray machines or additional security, apart from three security guards, but they were just hanging around - chatting.

It couldn't have been further from the pictures I had seen of British police at UK airports - looking vigilant and making their presence felt.

The whole experience was absolutely shocking. I did not feel reassured.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments:
Are glass bottles of duty free still allowed. Could they become weapons?
Barry Cannam, England

Once I even had five rounds of .22 rifle ammunition in my bag and it passed through the x-ray without comment!

Michael Brown, Lisbon, Portugal

I flew from Malpensa to Gatwick on the 15th. Access to the flight deck was unresricted with the door open most of the time. When I raised my concern to the Cabin Director I was told it was not BA policy to keep the door closed or locked and that I should write a letter to BA if I did not agree with their position! BA have lost another customer.
steve thomas, USA

I haven't travelled since the tragedy in the US but I travel every month between the UK and Portugal and airport security (before the attack) at Heathrow and Lisbon would not have prevented the hijackers. Until now I have always carried my Swiss Army knife in my hand baggage and once I even had five rounds of .22 rifle ammunition in my bag (I'd forgotten about it) and it passed through the x-ray without comment! I will fly on Monday back to London and hope to see much improved security.
Michael Brown, Lisbon, Portugal

Just got back from a trip to Amsterdam. In response to a direct request from the airlin (BA) via my travel agent, I went to the airport (Gatwick) two hours ahead of departure, and found myself in the lounge for one hour fifty - there was no visible difference in security, other than a very cursory pat-down at the aircraft. Further, the same was evident at Schipol on the way back. All of this was compounded by the UK immigration officer at Gatwick hardly looking up at all at the mass of people passing through te UK and EU channel. It's a disgrace. If we need more/better security then let's have it and let's do it properly. Paying lip service to all of our fears and concerns will not be enough
Bill Torrance, UK

I was flying from Boston Logan to Heathrow and I was amazed that I was only asked to show my passport at check-in. There is seemingly no passport control present, unlike UK airports. My point is that I could have checked in, gone to the toilet where someone could have knocked me out, taken my boarding pass/ticket and walked onto the plane. What a completely shambolic affair. The FAA should be ashamed of themselves!!
Christopher Morris, UK

Two days after the attack I flew from Schiphol to Manchester and the checks also failed to spot a Swiss army knife. On the return leg all my carry on items had to be placed in a see-through carrier bag.
Richard Goddard, Netherlands

Previously I have carried a mechanical cuckoo clock on both US internal and transatlantic flights. God only knows what a mass of cogs looks like on a metal detector
J, England

In complete contrast, I flew from Turkey to the UK on Monday. Our bags were all x-rayed as soon as we entered the airport (never mind checking in). This was done for all people entering the airport building - even people seeing off friends and family. Some young lads had bought Turkish knives and plastic BB guns. These were immediately identified and confiscated. Once we had checked in, we (and our bags) were scanned again going through passport control. If Turkey can do it, why can't the US?
Huw Davies, UK

I haven't flown since the attack but previously I have carried a mechanical cuckoo clock on both US internal and transatlantic flights. God only knows what a mass of cogs looks like on a metal detector but I wasn't asked to open my bag. On another occasion I was carrying a large wooden carving of a Komodo dragon. The assistant at the (very small) US airport peered at her screen and asked me "Do you have a lizard in there?". Again, no request to see further.
J, England

Having just returned from a city break to Lisbon, I was totally unreassured with "additional security measures". My case was X-rayed, taped and returned to me for booking in. As the tape did not cover the opening, I could have put anything into the case afterwards. I was asked if I was carrying any sharp objects but was not checked. On returning home I found in a side pocket of my handbag a swiss army knife which I had completely forgotten about. At no stage leaving Heathrow or returning from Lisbon was this found. Although a completely innocent oversight on my part, I was amazed that the X ray machines had not picked this up.
Joy Burton, England

I travel regularly between the Netherlands and both the UK and USA. I came back from LA two days ago, and like your reader experienced few checks. I was allowed to board the plane with a laptop and small suitcase without being challenged or asked to switch on any electronic equipment as I am whenever I leave the UK.

My bag was more closely searched when I went into a local theme park
Emma, UK

I did not have my bags x-rayed prior to check as a Business Class passenger, but Economy passengers were. I am in no doubt that any measures put in place by US authorities have been a "knee-jerk" reaction and are having little effect apart from adding delays to flights.
Steven Halfpenny, Netherlands

I travelled back from the US on Monday, and was surprised at the difference between the security in UK and US airports. In the US one American family left an enormous pile of luggage unattended, but even more of a shock was that none of the airport staff were telling the family that they shouldn't be doing that.

My hand luggage was x-rayed as usual, but I was not asked to open my bag for further searches. In fact my bag was more closely searched when I went into a local theme park. I would have much felt safer had my bag been more thoroughly searched, as then I would know that other people's property was receiving the same scrutiny.

The USA security team seemed uninterested and bored

Jim, UK

It was very scary to get on the plane knowing that the extra security we had been promised was not really there.
Emma , UK

I have travelled through airports throughout Europe over the past week and I have seen improvements in the already good security. The attitude of security staff in Heathrow was excellent and the BAA security staff are clearly well trained.

I was searched on two occasions and both searches were carried out very well. The same was true of staff at Stuttgart and Paris, professional staff doing a good job. I feel safe flying in Europe.
Paul Brooks, UK

I flew from Egypt to Heathrow and then from Heathrow to Edinburgh on Tuesday. I was carrying a pen-knife in my hand-baggage. It's a small knife attached to my keyring, and I'd forgotten about it until I reached the door of my flat. I wasn't questioned before either journey.
Ian McLaughlin, Scotland

I flew from Boston Logan three weeks ago. The people operating the scanners were very different to their UK counterparts. The USA security team seemed uninterested and bored, operating a conveyor in the middle of a corridor with just-landed passengers sweeping past either side. USA airports must adopt the disciplined approach of the UK if they want to gain confidence with the public.
Jim, UK

I live and work in the US and travel frequently inside the US and internationally. When I first started to travel in the US I was surprised at how lax security was and still is. My mobile phone is never x-rayed, all that is

I got back from Washington DC on Monday morning. We were appalled at the "security" at Dulles airport - where one of the terrorist had flown out from. Despite extra staff the security measures were farcical.

Chris Woods, England
required is that I press a button to make the screen change! My computer is never checked and the contents of my brief case never scrutinized. There are rubbish/trash cans all over the airports making it very easy for someone to deposit a bomb in them. The security guards are far too relaxed and the police are rarely seen.
Bernard Stuart, USA ex UK

I got back from Washington DC on Monday morning, having been in DC when the Pentagon was hit. We were appalled at the "security" at Dulles airport - where one of the terrorist had flown out from. Despite extra staff (from the closed Reagan airport) the security measures were farcical.

Having made much of the "no-one but ticketed passengers beyond the gates" we saw one man waving off two colleagues at the departure gate. The x-ray machine failed to spot any one of several "dangerous" objects in my bum-bag.

No-one I saw was having a physical check made of their carry on baggage at all. Even the military establishment we were working at had "special" policemen on the gates who had obviously been briefed to look into the boot and under the hood.

They did JUST that, every day, checking that the engine was still there, but little else. As for the physical checks of the vehicle that ALL British Government workers have been used to over the many years of the Irish problems, the Americ ans really do not appear to know quite where to start.
Chris WOODS, England

This is disgraceful. The UK should ban in-bound flights from the US until their security is improved. These are potentially flying bombs crossing the Atlantic.
Andrew, London, UK

I would agree fully with these comments. I flew out of Seattle on one of the first flights to leave and the "increased" security was a joke. Nobody checked us as we entered the terminal with our luggage and there were still litter bins everywhere, a sight you do not see in Europe. At no point until I actually checked in did I need to show identity documents or tickets and my baggage was never checked in my presence.
Ian Woodcock, UK

There will always be a way for someone determined enough to smuggle illegal objects onto planes. There is just nothing that even increased security can do to combat this.
Michael Minnis, UK

I concur with your reader's experiences. I haven't flown transatlantic yet but the internal

I got a much tougher time at US immigration and customs, where they were asking lots of detailed questions.

Steven Goodwin, USA
US flight security is broadly the same as before, with the sole exception of not allowing unticketed passengers through security.

At least now they know who is on the plane, before one person could check in and give their boarding pass to another - there is no ID check at the boarding gate, unlike the UK airports.
Phil Thompson, UK currently in US

I have just returned from the UK to the USA. I expected to be severely delayed and face strict security measures at Gatwick airport. At check in there was no difference, at the security check I was asked if I had any knives, scissors, tweezers (!) or nail clippers (!!). I proceeded to the gate and along with several other passengers walked past the sign which said "security, please wait until you are called forward" - because there was no one there. Unchallenged we all arrived at the gate, where with one look at the passport and a check of the boarding pass we were aboard. In the past I have seen security officials questioning passengers thoroughly as to why they are travelling. On the contrary I got a much tougher time at US immigration and customs, where they were asking lots of detailed questions. I would have thought the UK airports and airlines would have been more strict given their usually high standards. When I got home I found my swiss army compact in my roll-o!n ! baggage which has a blade, scissors and tweezers all in one - I had been through three security checks. OOOPS!
Steven Goodwin, USA

I cannot believe what I have read above. El Al at Heathrow are unbelieveable. It is the most secure airline that I know of and feel the safest on. I thought that all UK airports were adopting the attitude of El Al in the sense that all suitcases should be opened up and checked. El Al has a check in desk for tickets only. You keep your luggage with you at all times and when you go to your departure gate they open your suitcase and then put it through x-ray machines and then you can board your flight. If they are not happy with contents or think some things are suspicious they pull them apart and open things up. It only takes about 10-15 minutes apiece but at the end of the day is it not worth it.
Fiona, UK

I took a penknife on board an American Airlines flight on Sunday flying from JFK to London Heathrow. I planned to stow all my luggage but the check-in desk said my bag could count as hand luggage. There were no extra security checks at the airport. There were however new safety regimes on the plane in terms of the cockpit door being locked and no walking between cabins.
Richard Vadon, UK

My husband and I fly frequently across the Atlantic and have long been dismayed at the so called security measures at US Airports. He has just telephoned me after his arrival in England to tell me that his cuticle clippers and traveling corkscrew were removed from his luggage at the security check in Denver. Does this sound like overkill?
Sheila Conroy, Boulder, CO USA

I had quite a different experience travelling from Canada on Friday,14 September. It took an hour to get through security and the metal detectors seemed to have been recalibrated to be much more sensitive hence they were going off nearly all the time. The check-in teams were putting everyone through a very thorough examination about what was in their main luggage and most of the people on my flight had "security checked" stickers on their hand luggage.

I was very impressed, but I realise this was Canada rather than the US but seeing as the US see flying pretty much like catching a bus (internal flights especially) one wonders if they do not want to alientate more possible customers by making the process of catching a plane more 'complicated'.
Judith Blackburn, England

American airports were like British bus stops for security. My last trip home I had my passport checked once in Boston and four times at Gatwick.
Kevin Phillips, Ex UK, now USA

RiverCity
21st Sep 2001, 17:10
I just returned from a New England/Canada cruise, from Dorval to JFK. My carry-on was searched twice -- once at the regular security gate and again just before I boarded the aircraft (an American Eagle Saab). My checked bag was also searched, rather thoroughly and cameras to be turned on. I pulled out my passport so often, I thought I would wear it out. They checked everything but the fillings in my teeth.

I disagree with one comment in the previous post, a negative feeling about not seeing security personnel. IMO, the best Security can be the Security you do not see.

I think the "no nail clippers" is overkill, but I have to respect their judgement on this, as there might be a very good reason.

btw: Security on the ship (Holland America Line's "Amsterdam") was just as tight. The attack occurred partway through the cruise, but we still had pre-boarding carry-on searches and metal-detector gates. After the attack, we were allowed back on the ship, during port calls, with the same level of security as if we were boarding an airplane.

Condolences to all; I also suffered a loss on United 175.

[ 21 September 2001: Message edited by: RiverCity ]