PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access Problem

Curtis E Carr
24th Dec 2005, 10:02
I have recently been having problems accessing the Internet. Everything is fine in securing access after the computer has been freshly booted, but if I return some time later, I cannot access any pages and get the screen with the message "This page cannot be displayed". If I reboot, it starts working again. This is, of course, highly irritating having to reboot the machine every time I wish to get online.

I am on Broadband, using IE6 and XP with SP2.

I should add that I have cleared out all the cookies, Temporary Internet files and the index.dat files but this does not seem to have had any effect.

Short of clearing the computer completely and reinstalling everything, is there something I can do to sort this out?

Many thanks.

BOAC
24th Dec 2005, 10:33
It sounds as if your b/band connection is dropping after a while? Next time, run a check on something else - like emails - or look at your b/band modem diagnostics. This all assumes, of course, that you have 'autoconnect' selected for the modem as you do not mention having to 'reconnect' on boot-up? You could also try a 'ping' before you reboot to see if your connection is still there. If it is dropping and your ISP does not know why, then we will need the heavy-weight experts on here.

amanoffewwords
24th Dec 2005, 11:16
Your broadband modem may require a firmware upgrade

Curtis E Carr
24th Dec 2005, 13:56
Thanks BAOC and amanoffewwords

Connection is automatic after bootup - no reconnect neccessary.

I've tried the firmware upgrade as suggested. So far so good, but time will tell, of course.

Will keep you posted.

Curtis

Curtis E Carr
6th Jan 2006, 21:09
Further to the above, the firmware update seemed not to cure the problem after all. However, a chum of mine had a look and noticed a number of files in the c:\windows\downloaded programs folder that contained a number of files containing errors. We therefore cleared out the folder and this seems to have cured the problem.