PDA

View Full Version : Darwin award?

havoc
23rd Dec 2005, 18:24
By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© December 22, 2005 | Last updated 11:20 PM Dec. 22

NORFOLK — The Navy said Thursday a Texas-based helicopter crewman who fell to his death in October was performing a stunt called “Supermanning.”

The stunt involved hanging from an open cargo door and letting the rushing wind “fly” his body, attached only by a safety belt.

Supermanning may have been in practice for as long as 10 years, according to the Norfolk-based admiral who oversaw an investigation into the crewman’s death. Senior officers, however, said they’d never heard of the stunt.

Rear Adm. Denby H. Starling II, commander of the Atlantic Fleet Naval Air Force, said he has disciplined eight other crew members from the Corpus Christi squadron for performing a similar stunt or failing to report the activity to superiors.

The stunt involved an MH-53 Sea Dragon helicopter such as this one. U.S. NAVY

“My initial reaction was that I was absolutely flabbergasted,” Starling said in a recent interview. “I figured this had to be a one-time deal, but when we asked questions, we found out it was not. Other guys in this squadron had engaged in this kind of activity as well.”

Starling, who’s been in naval aviation for 30 years, said he’d never heard of Supermanning and said he believes this was the first time someone died during the stunt.

“I am not sure we will ever be able to determine every single instance,” the admiral said, but “we certainly will be willing to hold anybody accountable” who knew about the activity.

Petty Officer 2nd C lass Aviation Brian K. Joplin, 32, an aviation machinist’s mate from Hugo, Okla., died Oct. 4 after falling about 125 feet to the Persian Gulf. He was assigned to Helicopter Mine Countermeasures Squadron 15 and was flying from Bahrain in an MH-53 Sea Dragon helicopter, the largest in the Navy’s inventory.

The two pilots were unaware of the stunt until just before Joplin fell, according to the investigation.

The general indications are the air crews who engaged in Supermanning “had been around long enough to know this was done when flights involved carrying cargo,” Starling said. “The pilots can’t see all the way back when cargo is stacked up … and my general impression is the sailors went to significant extremes to hide it from the pilots.”

Two other enlisted crew members in the back of the helicopter knew what Joplin was doing and were among those disciplined last week, according to the admiral. The Navy declined to detail their punishments.

Joplin was wearing a 10-foot-long safety belt and attached it to an eyelet on the helicopter’s stern ramp, according to the investigation report, obtained Thursday by The Virginian-Pilot through a Freedom of Information Act request.

In reconstructing the events, investigators said Joplin moved to the back of the helicopter and lowered himself by his gunner’s belt over the edge of the ramp, grabbing a tie-down ring with his left hand and a rib of the airframe with his right hand.

“His legs were flying out behind him horizontally” in “the Superman maneuver,” the report said.

One enlisted crew member took photos of Joplin using her cell phone camera. She and another crew member apparently saw Joplin lose his grip and tried to pull him back into the aircraft but couldn’t because the rushing air was pulling on him.

Meanwhile, the pilots were just discovering what was going on.

“The co-pilot in the left seat noticed in his … mirror, a pair of boots dangling below the back of the aircraft,” the report said. The co-pilot then nudged the pilot in the right seat to get his attention and point out what he saw, according to the report.

The pilot looked in the mirror and thought he saw Joplin sitting on the ramp – not floating outside and below it – and did not think much of it since he presumed Joplin was attached to the aircraft with his gunner’s belt.

The co-pilot asked the other crew members by radio if everything was OK and was told it was, according to the report.

But then crew members saw Joplin’s belt start to slip and still could not get him inside the helicopter.

They told the pilot to slow down immediately and lower altitude.

“The co-pilot aggressively decelerated and descended,” the report said.

But it was too late. Almost immediately, one of the crew members said, Joplin had fallen. It was 11:23 a.m., and the aircraft was flying at 125 feet and 35 knots.

Joplin’s gunner’s belt, which was tight around his waist, apparently rose up his body, compressing his chest. Investigators believe that caused him to lose consciousness. With his hands stretched above his head, the belt slipped past his shoulders, knocked off his helmet and came free, causing Joplin to fall.

His body was found about four hours later.

Starling said he is not certain how long Supermanning has been practiced.

“It becomes difficult to separate fact from urban legend,” he said. “I know for a fact, in this command, the cases I was able to document went back to 2004. We have heard other testimony, much of it anecdotal, that indicates this has gone on to some degree since probably the mid-’90 s.”

Four air crew members in the squadron admitted to performing the Superman maneuver in the past, according to the report.

“Between 1994 and 1995, the practice of stunts in flight was prevalent,” the investigators said. “Other maneuvers were the 'slide for life,’ where they would swing out on a safety line and 'slingshot’ back into the aircraft.”

While it would be incorrect to call the stunts widespread, it was “not uncommon,” Starling said.

When he learned Supermanning was taking place in HM-15’s squadron, Starling immediately went to the Texas base to convene an Admiral’s Mast, an administrative hearing to discipline offenders without the more formal courts martial.

Those who admitted participating in the stunts, or who knew of the activities but failed to report them, were disciplined Dec. 16 .

Those involved were seven men and one woman, Starling said, ranging in rates from petty officer third class to petty officer first class.

Starling said he is allowed under mast to demote, fine, forfeit pay and restrict sailors, and he indicated, without details, that is what he did.

He also stripped them of their air crew designations, meaning they will never fly as aircraft crew members again. They were, however, allowed to remain in the Navy and in the squadron.

The disciplined sailors all had considerable experience, and some had been chosen as “sailors of the quarter” in the squadron.

“For the most part, they were not the folks you would expect to see doing this,” Starling said.

Joplin lived in Corpus Christi, Texas , with his wife and two young daughters. His mother and one of his sisters were killed just before his death in a car crash in Ada, Okla. He also is survived by two brothers, a sister and his father.

Navy officials notified the family of the investigation’s findings Thursday after Starling officially completed the investigation. T he commanding officer of HM-15 flew to their home to present the conclusions to them.

Joplin’s death was ruled as occurring in the line of duty.

The report recommended, among other things, an official prohibition against performing unsafe maneuvers in the back of naval aircraft.

There currently is nothing expressly banning Supermanning.

Chinny Crewman
23rd Dec 2005, 18:56
Blimey! Sitting on the ramp watching the world go by with your feet overhanging is one thing but... supermanning!?! Never heard of it and would not have believed it even if I had!!!

SASless
23rd Dec 2005, 19:02
The report recommended, among other things, an official prohibition against performing unsafe maneuvers in the back of naval aircraft.

Talk about Darwinism....the strong, quick, bright, and fleet of foot don't seem to be running the Navy as evidenced by that kind of comment.

Years ago, had a crew that enjoyed climbing down into underslung loads and removing cases of steak, chicken, cases of beer and soda.

Discovered what they were doing when I saw them them at it one day....and upon landing had a "Come to Jesus Meeting" with them".

Bottomline of the argument was I did not intend to ever have to write their Mother and tell her they died while being stupid and a thief.

We were writing enough of the letters for other reasons.

adr
23rd Dec 2005, 19:09
There currently is nothing expressly banning Supermanning.
:hmm: There's nothing expressly banning lighting a bonfire in the back of Fat Albert and roasting an ox over it, either.

In case anyone is so minded: Darwin awards nomination page (http://darwinawards.com/slush/submission.html)

adr

Confucius
23rd Dec 2005, 19:28
:hmm: There's nothing expressly banning lighting a bonfire in the back of Fat Albert and roasting an ox over it, either.

Not sure about the Ox, but there are one or two Gurkhas who didn't think their lit 'hexy burner' would be a problem down t'back.

Tigs2
23rd Dec 2005, 22:23
God rest his soul and peace be upon his family this christamas.

adr
23rd Dec 2005, 22:31
That needed saying too, Tigs2.

adr

Chinny Crewman
23rd Dec 2005, 22:39
"God rest his soul and peace be upon his family this christmas."

Here here.

Tigs2
23rd Dec 2005, 22:43
adr and Chin Crewman
what nice chaps you are! Merry christmas!

Pass-A-Frozo
24th Dec 2005, 00:10
There's nothing expressly banning lighting a bonfire in the back of Fat Albert and roasting an ox over it, either.
I'm impressed you came up with that scenario.

Sure as hell would beat eating Frozo's though :ok:

wingman863
24th Dec 2005, 00:16
Having read the other Darwin Award books, this guy is more than worthy. An idiot of the highest calibre. Its a tragedy but seemingly, so was his IQ...

Tourist
24th Dec 2005, 04:34
Seen it done in The Falklands in 1983/84, so it is hardly a yank or new bit of stupidity.:hmm:

Washington_Irving
24th Dec 2005, 08:56
Interesting that you raise the possibility of an airborne hog roast:

1. My CO back in the days when I was a Spacey was a National Serviceman in Aden and used to tell us the story of when he was on the crash crew and they got a call telling them that a DC 3 was on its way in with its tail on fire. A bunch of hajjis on their way back from Mecca decided to roast a sheep.

2. (Early 1990s) My best friend from school went to India in his gap year. He took the cheapest flight available (Aeroflot- and I can hear your alarm bells ringing already). On the leg from Moscow to New Delhi, as soon as the seatbelt signs were off (for those that had seatbelts) the Indians on board reached up into the overhead lockers and pulled out gas camping stoves!

wishtobflying
24th Dec 2005, 12:47
I don't see the problem, W_I - as long as they were careful it shouldn't be an issue .
.... still looking for that damn "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon. :ok:

propwash866
26th Dec 2005, 08:25
Talking of ox-roasts in the back of c-130's, has anyone heard of the incident a few years back involving a live bull? Apparently it was nabbed in the Far East and lashed to the deck of a (non-UK) herc, but broke free in flight. So dangerous was the now free and highly disgruntled animal that in the end the only solution was to lower the ramp and let the furious beast make a bid for freedom... falling several thousand feet into the South China Sea!

Ex Douglas Driver
26th Dec 2005, 09:18
http://www.snopes.com/critters/farce/cowtao.htm

You mean this made-up internet story, or another permutation thereof?

A very strange true story:

Earlier this year, the dazed crew of a Japanese trawler were plucked of the Sea of Japan clinging to the wreckage of their sunken ship. Their rescue, however, was followed by immediate imprisonment once authorities questioned the sailors on their ship's loss. To a man they claimed that a cow, falling out of a clear blue sky, had struck the trawler amidships, shattering its hull and sinking the vessel within minutes.

They remained in prison for several weeks, until the Russian Air Force reluctantly informed Japanese authorities that the crew of one of its cargo planes had apparently stolen a cow wandering at the edge of a Siberian airfield, forced the cow into the plane's hold and hastily taken off for home. Unprepared for live cargo, the Russian crew was ill-equipped to manage a now rampaging cow within its hold. To save the aircraft and themselves, they shoved the animal out of the cargo hold as they crossed the Sea of Japan at an altitude of 30,000 feet.

"I saw it on the net, so it must be true....":hmm:

Aynayda Pizaqvick
26th Dec 2005, 12:54
In a similar mould of stupidity is the guy who thought it would be a good idea to hold up an airline flight, rob passengers and crew of all their valuable items and then make his 'cunning' escape. This involved getting the pilot to descend below 10,000ft before jumping out of the aircraft with a parachute... that he had fashioned himself from bed sheets and the like.
Needless to say it didn't work and his body was found in a rather big hole on a swamp!
But at least he got the pilot to descend so he would have been conscious for the last moments of his life! :sad:

X-QUORK
26th Dec 2005, 17:46
Does spit-roasting a German bird in the back of a Lynx count?

nutcracker43
27th Dec 2005, 06:57
There was a crewman (Master Sig) on our squadron who used to delight in climbing up the leg of a Wessex in flight and grabbing the pilot. I had it done to me once and it scared me s*itless. I was about to get my 1000 hr on that sortie and this was his idea of a jolly jape. The consequent unrequested roll of the aircraft caused him to fall off the leg and left him clinging to the seat and step and supported by his harness. Fortunately nobody came to any harm.
Perfect specimen for the above award.

Pontius Navigator
27th Dec 2005, 20:52
Pre-dating Fat Albert in the Falklands, our Nimrod skipper in the 70s told us of an inadvertent cargo flight.

The loadie followed the pallet out and was flying in close formation with the truck.

"Microphone loadie" called the flight deck. He's outside came the reply.

lurkposition
28th Dec 2005, 10:38
Ah Pontius,

Back in 197? I was co-pilot on a C130 sortie from Masirah. We had been tasked to search the Indian Ocean (!) for a missing supertanker. The radar search produced the odd result whereupon it "was decided" to carry out a visual search. The plan was to fly at around 1000' with the para doors open. Naturally the loadie wore a despatcher's harness [thank heavens]. The air temp was about 37°C to 40°C that balmy evening and with several hours of fuel we could search for ages. On the five man crew only the loadie was "down the back". After a few hours a loud rushing noise was heard on the intercom. "Microphone Loadie!" was murmered by skip. Soon the rest of the flight deck four started to echo the remark. After many grunts, metallic clangs and good old Wiltshire expletives a breathless loadie was heard on the intercom "Sorry boss, I fell asleep, fell out, and woke up being thrashed against the back of the aircraft." Some truckies will remember who you were! This was after about eight hours. We packed up and returned to the RAF's jewel, Masirah. The Tanker was never found....because it was never missing!
I expect that our homeward route was being eagerly tracked by the friendly local sharks expecting a food parcel by air mail.

Happy new year pruners everywhere.

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2005, 12:04
Had a flying spanner on a DC3 we were operating who used to fire up the camp stove and make us a brew before buckling down and producing the breakfast we'd missed due our 4am start. His rationale was that there was a good chance we'd be getting shot at anyhow at destination so why sweat the petty things....:ooh:

Explained to him many times that I was too young and beautiful to spear in but he wasn't overly perturbed by my yelling. Strange bloke....:\

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
24th Jan 2006, 15:42
The individual has to 'remove himself from the gene pool' to get a Darwin Award.
Survivors are limited to 'Honourable Mention'
Citation as follows:-
A Corporal Electrician had to replace a wing tip light on a C130 Hercules, on a cold and frosty night. There was a serviceable 'cherry picker' in the hangar, and other access equipment.
It could have been -
Pressure of work
Low morale
Peer pressure
Man Utd v Liverpool on telly
Laziness
Stupidity
The previous OC Eng Wing OBE
All of the above
- that affected his judgement that evening. So our hero decides to nip up through the forward escape hatch and have it done in 10 minutes, no problem. With one of his juniors! Who wasn't very happy but went along with it.
As he felt himself slipping down the wing, his oppo grabbed hold of him, but they continued to slide down the wing together.
'SAVE YOURSELF - LET ME GO' cried the Electrician
He fell 20 feet to the sound of breaking bones.
On the way down the wing, the last thing available to grab on to was the wing tip light...which came on as he grabbed for it in vain!!!
Fault fixed, aircraft made slot time.
Would someone care to relate the one about the groundcrew chap who noticed a 40 ton aircraft rolling forward and instinctively put his foot in front of the mainwheel to stop it.
Or the VASF bloke who, when removing chocks from a light aircraft, backed into the propeller and had a slice of his arse chopped off

Pontius Navigator
24th Jan 2006, 17:34
There was a good I learnt About Flying where a Whirlwind pilot was offered a ht cup of tea by the Gurkha pax who had just come out of the jungle. He accepted gratefully until he remembered there was no water heater down the back of the cab. Yup, they had lit a fire.

Alex Whittingham
24th Jan 2006, 18:57
The VASF flying buttock occurred in the winter of '79/'80 at Lyneham. In front of the Station Commander as I recall, some say it actually hit him. I'm not sure if the poor chap survived, the groundcrew chap, that is.

Blodwyn Pig
24th Jan 2006, 19:23
i seem to recall a rather unfortunate incident involving the army and a puma back in the 80's.
the army were having a big fight at the battle area up the road, troops were getting ferried in on choppers, chap in charge of the troops had fallen asleep. he woke up as the chopper slowed down, and flared to the hover, shouted "after me men", and jumped out....not realising the chopper was still quite high up! he didn't survive the fall.
the aircraft involved was at honington for a few days under quarrantine, whilst they investigated.

we have a chap in work who used his foot to try and stop a rolling tristar once, i dont think the aircraft noticed, and he was off work for quite a while with a lot of broken bits in his foot!

oldfella
25th Jan 2006, 05:54
The VASF guy was seeing in a Belgian Merlin. On finals there was a mixed up message and it was thought that there was a VIP on board - rush for white coveralls, Staish into No 1s etc. The guy put the chock in then backed out into the prop. If I remember correctly he lost a bum cheek but it missed the hip and the muscle. - No VIP on board.

About that era a UAS Bulldog stude had a lucky escape. Stude running change. First stude got out onto the wing, stumbled and fell forward. Prop caught his helmet and knocked him down and clear. That split second as he realised he was falling into the prop disc must have been hell.

Pass-A-Frozo
25th Jan 2006, 06:09
A bit off the topic but funny all the same. Ground crew bloke doing an engine run. C130 jumped it's chock. So said ground crew bloke pops her in reverse and jumps her back over the chock :eek:

Dark Helmet
25th Jan 2006, 08:25
Perhaps it's just me but...

Guy cleaning the windscreen of a yellow Wessex (to get rid of the sea salt and muck) during a rotors-turning refuel gets a bit carried away and stretches across to reach the middle. To do this he has to raise himself up a bit in order to reach. Suddenly realises that his head is now incredibly close the blades and ducks. He, and the pilot both had similar shocked, white faces and expressions. I stopped that particular practice on my shift immediately, (mainly because blood is far more corrosive than salt).

Whilst I was on Tornados there was the guy who, during a crew-in snag, reset the 'popper' on a hydraulic reservoir (located under the airbrakes and accessed through a small finger hole) without ensuring that the airbrakes were positively selected out. As soon as the 'popper' was in the airbrake closed onto his head, shoulder and upper arm. Fortunately the pilot, alerted by the see-off crew on the headset, selected open before they had closed completely. He carries several scars to this day.

Whilst I was on Jaguars there was an electrician who connected the plug to an undercarriage door jack when hydraulics and power were on. The door immediately, and rapidly, closed on his head and arm. He was not quite so lucky as the Tornado guy and suffered severe facial injuries.

On the mighty Phantom, I watched as a guy lined up the stabilator pivot bolt hole with his finger...you can guess the rest.

Also on the Phantom it was regular occurrence, and great sport, to watch guys releasing stuck arrestor hooks with a marshalling bat, only to miss and spin themselves into the jet efflux. We used to bet on the distance that they would cover.

I also have a terrifying tale that involved myself, as a rigger, and an armourer working late one night and taking too many short cuts on an ejection seat removal...but I still can't bring myself to recount it, even after twenty plus years. That was on a bloody Phantom too!

I could go on but you might get the wrong idea about engineers!

Big Tudor
25th Jan 2006, 09:03
Blodwyn Pig
I recall the story well. It was a TA major IIRC whose enthusiasm resulted in his premature demise. He would have been followed by his SNCO as well if the loadie had not grabbed him before he went through the door.
Aviating is a dangerous occupation! :sad:

Zoom
25th Jan 2006, 09:46
Didn't a DC-10 or Tristar crash in the 70's killing all 300 or so passengers on the way to/from the Haj when someone lit up a stove or 2 in the back ?

There was another tale of an airborne burglary when a thief leapt from a 727 - with a proper parachute - over an American desert and has never been found. I think it was more than just a burglary but can't remember the detail, and I think he got away with about $100,000.

Re moving mechanical bits, the Hunter F-models had a peculiar cockpit opening mechanism whereby a clutch lever was first engaged by the pilot and then the open/close switch was operated as appropriate. Before leaving the aircraft the pilot had to disengage the clutch to prevent inadvertent snagging. A story/myth doing the rounds at Chiv decades ago was that a pilot only half-disengaged the clutch and then snagged the switch as he was leaving, causing the canopy to slide repeatedly into his bonce, crushing his bone dome at least.

tonyosborne
25th Jan 2006, 10:23
Sort of, off topic I suppose, but my Grandfather, once a W/O with UKMAMS at a famous Wiltshire base with Comets and Brits told me a story how a WRAF somehow managed to walk through a spinning Britannia propeller, only to die of a heart attack/shock when she was told what had happened...Quite sad after what must be a miraculous escape... :sad:

Anyone shed any light on that?

Onan the Clumsy
25th Jan 2006, 12:58
There was another tale of an airborne burglary when a thief leapt from a 727 - with a proper parachute - over an American desert and has never been found. I think it was more than just a burglary but can't remember the detail, and I think he got away with about $100,000.Are you talking about D B Cooper? I think it wsa the Pacific North West, he hijacked a 727 and demanded two parachutes, that way they had to give him good ones incase he chucked the stew out. He took the suitcase full of loot and disappeared into the night. They looked and looked - over quite lush, but inhospitable terrain and could never find him.

The case went cold for several decades, then he resurfaced and like a **** got caught :rolleyes:

I think there's a filum about him too.

Right I'm off to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.B._Cooper)now to see how accurate I was.

somehow managed to walk through a spinning Britannia propeller,I would have thought the arithmetic involved would have precluded this.

tonyosborne
25th Jan 2006, 14:14
I would have thought the arithmetic involved would have precluded this.

I couldn't agree more OTC, but he was quite adamant that it happened, unless the engine was running down (non-technical term)...

Gainesy
25th Jan 2006, 14:39
A JT liney was killed by walking into a Brit prop at Akrotiri, night, rainy, he wore specs and it was running down. Best guess was rain on specs blurred his vision, this was sometime between 1970-72.

Also two movers killed in fork lift over-turning accidents.

matkat
25th Jan 2006, 16:27
An armourer Corporal who inserted the pylon cartridges whilst trigger checks were being carried out think this was circa 1980 on XV Sqn(Buccaneers at Laarbruch)He lost 2 fingers and was subsequently posted to Cosford as an instructor.Cant remember His name,anyone?

FJJP
25th Jan 2006, 17:03
At Wildenrath in a Canberra, after starting the port engine, the starter case stared to rotate. A groundie took hold of it - right at the intake of a running engine - to screw it tight... I rapidly shut the HP cock and said groundie got an ginormous earful from me, and a bigger one from the chief.

Pillock.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
25th Jan 2006, 17:19
FJJP. I've done it. But it was an operational neccesity, and I didn't waltz up to the engine like your liney
In this case one of the breech caps was u/s, the little electrical contact tang had broken off. So the only way to get the stbd engine started was to swap caps with the port engine up & running. Maybe the difference is that I told the pilot I was happy to do it, was he happy? He was. (it was away from main base)

Onan the Clumsy
25th Jan 2006, 17:30
Used to be a drop zone nithe Dallas area with a Porter that they used to do hot refuels on. This involved running with the fuel hose between the prop and the fuse, sort of under the engine a bit then climbing a ladder on the other side as the tankes were in the (high) wings.

I never did it and I never stood anywhere near the aircraft when the bloke did it either.

Actually that's not really true, I'd stay upwind and close enough to have a good view. I mean I wouldn't want to miss that show now would I?

m5dnd
25th Jan 2006, 18:27
Onan,
"The case went cold for several decades, then he resurfaced and like a **** got caught

I think there's a filum about him too.

Right I'm off to wikipedia now to see how accurate I was."

ERrrr.. You Were Not :ok:

But nice to think from that day 727 rear airstairs have always been cooper airstairs!!.. I have to explain this when peolpe board a 1-11 the same way!.

TTFN

Pontius Navigator
25th Jan 2006, 21:32
One linney, I think, walked through the prop arc on a Shackleton. Think about it.

Then there was the poor chap at ISK that got succked down the engine intake. Very messy.

Or the one sitting on the arse end of the Vulcan packing the TBC. As he removed the packing lever the door unlatched, clipped him on the chip and deposited him head first on the ground.

Or the pongo who emulated the guy in Catch 22. Catch 22 the ac hit him. The pongo, the Herc got him.

Then there was the Flt Eng (I think) disappeared from the back of a Shack. No idea if it was intentional or not.

Zoom
26th Jan 2006, 10:28
Onan
Thanks, and that was certainly the one I was thinking of.