PDA

View Full Version : Hiring situation?

Vulture
7th Jul 1999, 13:05
Having been out of touch for a few months I was wondering what the current state of the market is for experienced ex-mil pilots. Can anyone give me a steer on non-North Sea jobs? Has everyone gone stiff-wing or is there still some quality work out there? What is the current going rate for SPO I/R work?

[This message has been edited by Vulture (edited 07 July 1999).]

PurplePitot
8th Jul 1999, 01:10
Hi Vulture. Forget the North Sea, I have just been down that road and they are all very much in a state of flux at the moment as a result of the BIH/Bond merger/Takeover and Bristows who are releasing pilots as a result of contracts lost (this includes Bristows CEO!!)

PVR
8th Jul 1999, 02:01
Or answer B......you could call Bond who will bite your arm off if you pretend to be pro-Aberdeen.

Vulture
8th Jul 1999, 02:52
Thanks. I guess I'm looking for that unachievable goal of a steady job in the South or South West with a half-decent salary and a good standard of rostering. It ocurred to me that with all the chat of guys going fixed wing that experience levels in that sector would be dropping. I suppose the Bristow situation will have filled that void though. Does anyone know what the freelance situation is? Or am I clutching at straws now?

PVR. Are you ex mil by any chance? Anywhere near E.Anglia? I'll understand if you don't answer that Q.

[This message has been edited by Vulture (edited 07 July 1999).]

PVR
8th Jul 1999, 22:54
Dear Vulture,
At the risk of being caught by the thought Police.....I still have Mil connections and I am on the Freelance circuit. I do the SPO stuff and also like to stir up sh-one-t on this medium. Bit of Russian Roulette as Chief Pilots vet this site!

TipCap
9th Jul 1999, 01:13
Sorry PVR but Bond aren't biting that hard. There may be a lot of pilots looking for other employment soon and Bond's answer, at present, is that they don't need any more pilots especially if the merger goes ahead with BIH which will engender more pilot availability. I can't quite get it into my head where all the work has gone. Bristow are talking a lot of layoffs and Bond, who got the Bristow work aren't hiring - except the odd Contract Pilot. Most of those are ex-Bristow who have retired or taken early retirment. Its a dark world in the North Sea (Depends where you are standing) at the moment. My advice to anybody who is coming out of the Mil is to go fixed wing if they have the opportunity and money. They at least treat you reasonably well there (esp the bigger companies)