PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Air Ambulance

PVR
28th Jun 1999, 23:05
So I screwed up & originally put this on the trolly dolly's page. more confusion arose today when the chief Pilot suspended himself for his own engine frying episode. Now that does cloud the issue as he is one of the NHS's new 'yes men' He is part of the big change - replacing the original staff who are responsible for the last 10 years of accident free ops.
Anyone got any more gen on what's going on down there?
If you are Ex Mil & on a Pension looking for work, do the industry a favour and don't work for the 10 grand less than the present wage they are going to offer. That is the long term aim of the Nurse who runs the show show.

neverinbalance
29th Jun 1999, 01:49
You didn't screw up - you were just temporarily unsure of you position!
Interesting thread you have started. Hope you get some replies. Your comment on ex-mil with pensions hits the nail on the head.

[This message has been edited by neverinbalance (edited 01 July 1999).]

Ack2Main
1st Jul 1999, 03:53
It amazes me that helicopter operators still reley on ex mil pilots to accept jobs underpaid because they have a good pension. This will have to stop soon with IR's becoming more of an issue and the dificulty for ex mil pilots getting a liscence, (they'r all going fixed).

------------------

PurplePitot
2nd Jul 1999, 01:31
Hi Ack2Main, not quite sure what your point is here! If the military pilot does not take the job, a self improver will - with a corresponding drop in overall experience. I do not understand the relevance of the IR as it is probably easier for an ex military pilot to get one than the said self improver due to the fact that the military do a lot of instrument flying as an integral part of their job. As an employer, if I were paying for the IR course, I would take the military pilot every time.

Why are military pilots having difficulty getting a licence because quote “their all going fixed”?????

I guess that you are a brand new military lynx pilot who aspires to a civilian flying career (AAC, judging by your spelling). May I suggest a little more time in the seat before any more posts and that you invest in a good spoll chicker.

barsandstars
3rd Jul 1999, 17:55
Of course, you may be wrong PurplePitot.
Ack2Main could be the guy who flew an R-4 from India to Burma in the Second World War to carry out the first helicopter casevac.

But for us S-51 pilots (Widgeons here and Dragonflys for our friends across the pond) we most definitely would be having a few beers with our friends if they had been current on instruments.

Previous instrument experience is a life-saver, but you have to be current! We all know professional pilots who have failed an instrument recurrency, and that is an eye opener. Basically you have to work at it to fly safe in those sort of conditions.

I'm sure quite a few of us have gone too far in supposed VMC to get the job done and then had to 'punch up' and go IMC. The grand things in those conditions, if you are current, are that your immediate problem is most probably the radio call; the aircraft handling is second nature.

A current instrument rated pilot should be expected from any passenger who is going to travel in a twin engined helicopter.

PNVS
3rd Jul 1999, 17:57
One Capt sacked Fri 2 July for breaking rules. Advert for new pilot due soon? Prob 10 K less than pay now. Job in Home Counties should have plenty of interest.

Ack2Main
7th Jul 1999, 02:45
to purplepilot
My point about mil pilots still stands as the rewards are far greater in the long run. Any dispensations given to get a licence are slowly being taken away and soon it will be just as hard to get a H lic. as it is an A. Just about all the people I know are going plank.
(Hope the spelling was up to standard this time. Please send corrections as required)

PurplePitot
8th Jul 1999, 01:24
Hi Ack2Main – On reflection I think I gave you a bit of a hard time on my last post, oh well!! I still don’t agree with you though, as there are absolutely no dispensations from the CAA to anyone in the services towards a licence (AorH) This is unlikely to change as the military brass don’t want them for obvious reasons. There are plans afoot to give military pilots some financial help in obtaining a licence towards the end of their career, but that’s about it.

10/10 for spelling!!

PurplePitot
8th Jul 1999, 01:25
Come on PNVS spill the beans!!!

PVR
8th Jul 1999, 01:57
On his behalf.....The chief Pilot is still on his self induced suspension! Pending investigation by himself!

If the other rumours are in anyway accurate then there will 30 or so Bristows guy's waiting on the sidelines for the vacancy's to go to press!

I think Acktomain is going on about the projected drying up of Military Pilots in the next few years. As is now common press, they are donating 10 grand to obtain your licence before leaving. You have to give back about 2'n a bit years (3 years technically.) Very few seem to be talking about anything but fixed wing, at least that is part of the industry not hell bent on lowering salaries because of the pension suppliment.

Skycop
8th Jul 1999, 07:49
I share the dismay over underpaid helicopter pilots (Having taken a massive pay drop for the privilege of my present UK employment..). However, what is the alternative? I much prefer to fly rotary for a number of reasons although I am qualified to fly planks too. The kids still need to eat and the other bills all need paying. Surely no-one would propose that I should go on the dole instead of working for a living? It's not always practical to refuse a job because the pay isn't great (I did refuse this one once but now I'm here after all). Someone else would take my job if I didn't do it. Maybe I'm missing the point?

PVR
8th Jul 1999, 22:44
Dear Skycop,
No, you are not missing the point. You have it pegged correctly. It happens, we wish it didn't, if you turn it down then the next guy in neeed will always take the position. Look at City Flier Express in the Plank world, they pay less than Tesco's but don't have a shortage of applicants - an employers market I'm afraid. Who knows, one day we may be able to call the shots on a fair wage....as I slip into the realms of fantasy!

The Truth Is Out There
12th Jul 1999, 02:06
On Fri 9th July the London Evening Standard reported that Virgin HEMS had suffered an engine failure and rejected back onto the helipad on the hospital roof. It stated that the new chief pilot was at the controls. How is it then that the aircraft was deemed seviceable to carry on with the scramble to which it had been dispatched? Do Dauphines fly on one engine??

Chip Lite
13th Jul 1999, 02:21
Think we all know twin engine helicopters fly best when both engines are actually started!!!!