PDA

View Full Version : Passenger demands to leave aircraft

GoldenMonkey
23rd Dec 2005, 09:50
I was having a chat with someone last night who asked me whether the following is true:

If a passenger demands to get off an aircraft prior to takeoff, the crew is legally obliged to honour their demands.

And I didn't and still don't know and it's bugging me!

Anyone know the answer to this one??

Carnage Matey!
23rd Dec 2005, 15:03
I don't think they are obliged to honour their demands. This is a question that came up regularly at the BA pre-command courses and I believe the answer from the lawyers was no. It would probably be unwise to continue with a potentially disruptive passenger on board but I don't think there is an obligation to let them off any more than there is an obligation to turn the aircraft around in flight and take them back.

Piltdown Man
23rd Dec 2005, 15:35
As far as many countries are concerned, you are in flight when you close the doors to start the "flight". When you are taxying, the flight is definitely under way. Now some arse says he wants to get off! This is where your Cabin Attendants earn their cash. If they can't persuade this person to stay on or they suggest that you would be better off returning to stand, then that is what you do. Unfortunately, airlines don't run these people ragged though the legal system to deprive them of any cash or posessions they have have to pay for the cost of the delay. And then there is the inconvenience to the rest of the passengers on the current flight and those on the now delayed, subsequent sectors! People who do this make me really sick - However, on return to stand it is important to make sure that these people are met by the police. I'm sure that there are many potential terrorists who run out of bottle - and this person may be one of them.

GoldenMonkey
28th Dec 2005, 08:51
Thanks for this Piltdown Man and Carnage Matey!
Do I take it that this does happen from time to time then?

manintheback
28th Dec 2005, 09:59
Seen this at close hand on two occasions. Neither time had the plane actually departed the ramp, but doors had been closed on one of them. Believe that it was nervous travellers on both occasions.

Biggest problem was the hand luggage, everyone had to get theirs down to check nought was there that shouldnt have been.

apaddyinuk
28th Dec 2005, 16:32
I suppose it all boils down to the situation on the day! If its a nervous passenger and nothing can be done to sway him/her into making the flight then perhaps the best thing to do for all concerned including the other passengers is to get the passenger off. Again if its someone who perhaps just heard that there had been a bereavement then that too would justify offloading at the last minute on compassionate grounds...However if its just some jumped up little business man who didnt like the way the crew looked at him and wants to throw his toys out of his prams then he should be handcuffed to his seat and made stay onboard to suffer the wrath of the crew!!! :p

Taffair
2nd Jan 2006, 10:30
It does happen. It only happened to me once when a passenger who was terrified of flying got out of his seat and tried to open the door to get off during pushback and start. Needless to say we returned to stand and after a lengthy chat with said passenger he was offloaded by mutual agreement.

I think it is better to return to stand with all the risks of missing slots etc than to take a potential problem like this into the air.

Taff :)

Full Emergency
2nd Jan 2006, 22:15
However, on return to stand it is important to make sure that these people are met by the police. I'm sure that there are many potential terrorists who run out of bottle - and this person may be one of them.

and we would gladly come and help..........:ok:

FE