PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas and a Prosperous 2006 African PPRuNers

Gunship
23rd Dec 2005, 09:08
I hereby wish all our PPRuNers, visitors and of course our beloved Moderators on African Aviation a Merry Christmas and a Very Prosperous New Year.

May 2006 be a great (and safe) year for all of you out there.

:ok: God Bless :ok:

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/images/smilies/occasion/xmasprep.gif Gunship http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/images/smilies/occasion/guyfawkes.gif

Farmer 1
23rd Dec 2005, 09:21
Thanks, Guns, and the same to you and yours.

And all.

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 09:28
Thanks Guns!

The same to you and all the PRooners and all too.

MF,
Solly and Phineas too! Kept nagging me for "kriesmis-box" since last week....!:E

I.R.PIRATE
23rd Dec 2005, 09:37
Thanks you kindly Gunnsss, may yours be safe and your next year prosperous. To all the others out there that I havent named (:E )......may you all have a fantastic festive season and a safe new year.

Especially you MF!!:}

23rd Dec 2005, 10:06
Merry Christmas everybody. I hope you all get what you wish for!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/fredman747/xmasStephenKing.gif

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Dec 2005, 10:11
All the best to you as well as the others on here, Guns!:ok:

Have a safe festive season and enjoy the cricket.

4HolerPoler
23rd Dec 2005, 11:00
Likewise, same to all of you. May 2006 be a great year.

Best wishes & safe flying.

4HP

B Sousa
23rd Dec 2005, 11:45
Lots of things to wish for if your looking for a New Year.
I wish not to see friends being lost in Aviation Problems that can be avoided.
I wish to see the Huey Thread(s) Go away, becuse they are closed for business.
I wish to see South Africa raise its head a bit and again stand as hope for the African Continent.
But then again I wish to see the Rand go through the roof so I can afford to buy some Tassies for Gunns on the next trip..

With that I am off to St Martin on a Charter in the 407 into the British Virgins. Back tonight in St Thomas for some Good Island Rum and Steak on the BBQ.

Merry Christmas all..........

RICCARDOVOLANTE
23rd Dec 2005, 14:14
Merry Christmas all
Sincerely
Riccardo Volante

ruffusruffcut001
23rd Dec 2005, 15:20
Thanx gunns,
Merry Christmas to all the prunes and all the best for the coming year,
Hope to get lots of cheleta

contraxdog
24th Dec 2005, 06:08
May you all enyoy the love and peace, and happiness of this joyful Christmas time, and may your dreams, and expectations for the New Year become a reality.

Ibanez
24th Dec 2005, 07:04
Thanx Gunns!

... and think of those who sadly must spend their Christmases and new years on the other side of the globe. :{

Seasonal Greetings, I.

Ned-Air2Air
24th Dec 2005, 07:14
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all those in SA that I know or have met, including those gorg blondes at NAC Makana :ok: :ok: :ok:

Seriously its was great to have dinner with Guns and Mrs Guns, and the lunch we had at that traditional place near your house Guns was awesome, glad you and your buddy were able to get reaquainted at that lunch. :ok:

SA is a great country, with a great aviation heritage, and with some great people. I have met many of them on my many trips to SA, and hope to do so on many more trips. The aviation industry in SA is a credit to those involved.

To those that have shown me hospitality on my various trips, a heartfelt thanks, and if you think the All Blacks will go easy on you next time, then think again :E :E

So best wishes from Kiwiland and if any of you are ever coming this way, then please drop me a PM.

Cheers

Ned

surely not
24th Dec 2005, 09:50
Happy Christmas everyone, and may we all have a prosperous New Year.

I look forward to more lively discussion in the coming year :D

captain cumulonimbus
24th Dec 2005, 10:08
Capt Cb would like to add his festive wishes too.Have a very merry christmas all and to GUNNS,SOLID RUST TWOTTER and MF...thanks for the entertainment throughout the year!

Cheers,fly safe and never say no to a hostie who wants to sit on your lap;)

Rgds,Capt Cb

PS i sicerely hope 'cheleta' means either money or punani?:cool: ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Dec 2005, 10:49
All the best to all on here and their families. May you have a safe and Happy Christmas and may the New Year bring peace, joy and prosperity.:ok:

Jetdriver
24th Dec 2005, 10:57
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all our regular forum contributors and readers.

AfricanEagle
24th Dec 2005, 22:23
Buon Natale and safe flying to all

AE

pointer41
25th Dec 2005, 05:08
A happy and safe festive season to all!!!

PS: Did anybody see my C208? Looks like Father Christmas mislaid my christmas present... :ok:

Xenia
25th Dec 2005, 09:29
Merry Xmas and happy new year to all ;)

Africa Dog
25th Dec 2005, 12:07
Merry Xmas Gun's and the rest of the boy's in Africa,Have a good Xmas and a good new year, Guys in joburg, just out of the sandpit, a bit behind, where is the aviation bar in joburg, where do the guy's go for a drink. Cheers Guy's, all the best and take care.

Ingwe
25th Dec 2005, 16:54
was supposed to be working but got told to go home so rather sitting in London with my boet! Happy Christmass guys and condolences to all you working but hope you manage to make the most of it!

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
25th Dec 2005, 23:14
Sorry, a bit late but Merry Xmas and Boxing Day and A Happy And Safe new Year Year to all African Pruners. Blue Skies Ladies & Gents !!

All The Best.

NEO

B Sousa
26th Dec 2005, 10:49
Christmas day was good. One flight and R600 tip......lets see what Boxing Day can do............

Gunship
26th Dec 2005, 12:49
I hope the hang - overs are not too bieg ... :E

We had a great lunch yesterday. 3 of about 10 Christians ... :hmm:

May Boxing Day be a great day of rest and a good battery charger for the New years Party :ok:

Cheers,

Gunss

PS : Tx for the good wishes.

birdlady
26th Dec 2005, 12:59
Merry Christmass everyone and have a great new year :ok: :ok: :ok:
Safe flying and here's to a great new year on pprune ;) ;)

Gouabafla
26th Dec 2005, 13:01
Thanks Gunsss. All the best to you and yours and to all of the other Africa prooners.

Gunship
26th Dec 2005, 13:43
HANG-OVER CURE
I awake to soft moans coming from downstairs. Good grief! Are my guests from the previous night's party still here … at 11am on an all too bright Sunday morning?

I get to the bottom of the stairs and there is Rick, one of my guests from the night before's party. He's hunched over the kitchen table. He's holding his head in his hands and he's rocking backwards and forwards.

A normally fit chap of six foot three, Rick has a wrap-around smile and is known for his joking nature. But he seems to have shrunk overnight. And there's no sign of the laughs and jokes either.

Rick asks for one of the great stalwarts of recovery — a Grandpa headache powder and a Coke — and an hour later he re-surfaces, asking for breakfast and orange juice. Clearly Rick knows something about hangover cures I have yet to learn. But when you've had a good few too many it helps if, like Rick, you're young, fit and healthy. The rest of us have to resort to the old standbys.

Hangover cures seem to range from the obscure to the outrageous. And, of course, what many have in common is that they are unlikely to stand up to the most rigorous scrutiny. For who would voluntarily try the Finn's favourite way of dealing with the after effects? First take a sauna to rid the body of its toxins, then a roll in the snow to shake off residual tiredness.

Or the Puerto Rican's approach: a lengthy rub of citrus juice into the armpits!

The more relaxing Moroccan approach calls for inhaling the smoke of burning fossils to vanquish the demons and restore a state of grace.

Russians just go on drinking, while Haitians recommend sticking thirteen black-headed pins into the bottle from which you've been drinking. If you manage to get that right, you're probably cured already!

For many of us, however, a simple Prohep or a handful of Disprins seems to be the common approach after a night of boozy merriment. Some of the remedies below claim to ease your suffering completely…

Hair of the dog

A medical friend of mine claims, tongue-in-cheek, that the hair of the dog approach, where you have another shot of what you were drinking — the hair of the dog that bit you — is probably the most logical.

"Just look at how you're feeling the next day. You're suffering from dehydration, low blood sugar and even lower self-esteem. What you really need is a drink, with a good long, sweet mixer! It's bound to perk you up," he says.

But, Wieland Gevers, Professor of Medical Biochemistry at UCT, warns this may be dangerous. "There is enormous variability in the way different people metabolise alcohol," he says. "In some people alcohol is more readily converted into poisonous acid aldehyde and this toxicity can cause damage to the eyes and brain.

"Dehydration increases the toxic metabolites and the ethanol concentration of the alcohol becomes even higher. Of course, the effect varies according to ethnic group, alcohol intake, the use of other (medical) drugs and fitness. But the same home remedies apply to all: keep drinking water or something that contains sugar, like fruit juice, and use one of the commercially available antidotes as well."

Fernet-Branca

The original Italian bitters, established in Milano back in 1845 by the brothers Branca, a descendant of whom, Willem Branca, is a talented South African sculptor. This spirit apéritif is based on an infusion of "selected blossoms, rare aromatic herbs and other natural ingredients". It is recommended to be drunk straight, on the rocks, or with a dash of mineral water, or poured into a double espresso.

Underberg

A kind of German "hair of the hund". This infusion of herbs from 43 countries comes pre-blended with a notable dash of alcohol.

Prairie Oyster

The remedy favoured by P.G. Wodehouse's butler, Jeeves, to revive the young Bertram Wooster after his regular beanos at his club, the Drones. Not for the faint-hearted, but the kind of cure you have to try at least once!

a few drops of olive oil
1 egg yolk
large dash of Worcestershire sauce
large dash of Tabasco
1 teaspoon vinegar
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

Rinse a cocktail glass with olive oil and without breaking it, slide in the egg yolk. Sprinkle on the seasoning and serve. This is best taken in one go — for obvious reasons. Alternatively, serve it on a large spoon.

Keith Floyd's "Corpse Reviver"

This one apparently owes it origin to London's famous Savoy Hotel.

1 tot brandy
1 tot Fernet-Branca
1 tot white crème de menthe or calvados

Shake the ingredients over ice and strain into a frosted martini glass. And, if you think your corpse will be cheered up by this, garnish with a slice of orange.

Bloody Mary

You may prefer to opt for the non-alcoholic version, but both are prescribed.

2 tots vodka (optional)
1 can chilled tomato juice
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Tabasco
squeeze of lemon juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients, mix well and serve in a tall, ice-filled glass. Garnish with a celery stick.

How to counter the effects of excessive alcohol intake

Always eat before a serious drinks party. Also, try to have some nibbles during the course of the party. It lines the stomach and slows the absorption of alcohol.
Pace yourself. It puts the damage off for a while and makes the fun last longer.
Try to drink lots of water between alcoholic drinks, especially to avoid the dehydration that will come back to haunt you.
Vitamins or other commercial pepper-uppers are a good option as they boost your system and help you cope with the poisons in your bloodstream.
Drink lots of water before you go to bed — it helps flush out your system.
No matter how brave you feel never, ever drive drunk.

MysticFlyer
26th Dec 2005, 17:00
Wara-wara fishpaste!

Back to normal, these muti's will come in handy after the 31st, but thanks anyway ou bees! Jy's 'n ou yster.

Let's cut the commercials, and back to Prooning as usual, have you heard the latest?

Guns' remedies actually worsened his arthritis and gout twofold!:}

MF
Ps. Birdie, Solly swore by spiking his "mielie-bomme" with "brake-fluid" and peanut-butter! You're trawling for damvis ie. Karp, aren't you?

ou Trek dronkie
30th Dec 2005, 19:54
Ja Everybody,

Yes, Yes, I do know what the date is, but I just couldn’t get my Christmas message out in time. Anyway, Christmas goes on till 6th Jan. Official.

Just want to wish everyone on this forum and the Campfire all of the best and the safest flying.

Special thanks and encouragement to those who inform us so well, who stimulate us so well, who entertain and amuse us so well, who make this forum the tops in aviation, IMHO. I am thinking of the irrepressible Gunship, the amazing Cavorting Cheetah, the 4-holer, I R Pilot, Deanw, Twotters and many, many others who make life so interesting.

Let’s also remember good old Trev, who passed on, as well as all those other fine flyers who did the same.

Also thanks to the administrators and moderators - maybe an exception there …, but, No, what the heck, it’s Christmas !

Happy landings to one and all from the old Trek dronkie
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

I.R.PIRATE
31st Dec 2005, 01:55
I am humbled by your mention sir, thank you too, for always adding a little colour where its needed. Hope you have a very prosperous, and most importantly SAFE next year.

Cheers.

ons toon dank

Gunship
31st Dec 2005, 09:33
Cheers OTD :ok:

Let’s also remember good old Trev, who passed on, as well as all those other fine flyers who did the same.

Yeah a few was lost ... some good Saffers as well ..

RIP Eddie Barlow who died yesterday ?

PS: OtD .. I am in London Fri-Sun .. you around for a dop ? :E

Cheers all have a GREAT New Year.

If all goes well Gunss moves to his apartment this afternon and then the bottie of J&B (120 pounder) will come in handy ... (no hotel scans to worry about) :E also the braai wil come out of it's box :ok:

Cheers all - HAPPY NEW YEAR ! http://www.globalbuzz.org/forums/images/smilies/occasion/celeb.gif

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/images/smilies/braai.gif

birdlady
1st Jan 2006, 18:30
Mystic,

If you are by any means trying to imply that Im trawling for bottom feeders you could quite possibly be right ;) ;)

To all prooners,

May your lift be greater than your weight, your thrust greater than your drag and your take offs equal to your landings. Happy New Year :cool: :cool: