PDA

View Full Version : Lets Welcome Tiger Airways to Darwin

AustinPowers
22nd Dec 2005, 15:28
Tuesday morning there happened to arrive a very flashy looking 320 in rather very colourful livery in Darwin. It departed on time too 0600 local line up.

"WELCOME TIGER"

From what I understand it was Commanded by a Aussie skipper whom happened to have flown in the local Darwin scene in his younger days

Just bloody wonderful to see services getting kicked up into Darwin where there is a huge potential of Outback tourism, not only

Hmmmm.... if I recall right it's something like Aus$215 return to Singapore. They do advertise withing Sing' as a promotional for $49. From Singapore obviously there's all sorts of connections to other holiday destinations for similar pricing

Still not many local adverts happening though, perhaps not enough market here or something !!

Austin....:ok:

alangirvan
22nd Dec 2005, 19:44
the Tiger schedule shows a departure DRWSIN at 0535 ( two hour check in opens at 0335. I suppose Darwin people are used to catching planes at awful hours. No point going to sleep the night before.

Kanga767
22nd Dec 2005, 21:29
...not to mention arriving in SIN about 09:30 local with plenty of time to catch a connection just about anywhere.

K

victor two
22nd Dec 2005, 23:27
And they operate with one of the cooler callsigns out there these days - "Stripe 700" or "Stripe 702" etc etc.

Based on the Tiger theme no doubt.

Apparently the captain of that first flight was a former Hardy's and Air North pilot who used to flog about Port Keats and the top end before moving OS to other adventures.

topend3
23rd Dec 2005, 00:44
Welcome Tiger...

Let's hope they get supported...

maxgrad
23rd Dec 2005, 08:09
The more aircraft flying new/different routes the more jobs, more competition. Good on you Tiger
Wish the football team would follow the lead and expand to a winning club:sad:

MIss Behaviour
24th Dec 2005, 02:48
Will punters ever understand the 24 hour clock? This week a family apparently turned up at the airport mid-afternoon for what they thought was a 5.35pm departure.

Quite an expensive nosho as they lost over $2,000.00 in forfeited tickets. No TR rep in DRW so can only email or call them in SIN. :eek: :eek:

It's worth noting that you can only check your bags as far as Singers, so those with connecting flights need to complete all the arrival formalites in SIN first, claim luggage etc before checking in again for the next flight.

Bit of a bummer if you're on an Indian passport (visa required for SIN) and you cannot elect to transit in SIN even if you have a connecting flight out of the country. Result: denied boarding in DRW & once again lose the airfare.

Just do your research thoroughly guys n gals & make sure you read all the fine print before you get the credit card out. :ooh: :ooh:

tinpis
24th Dec 2005, 02:54
Is Tiger gonna do this without large cash injections from the NT coffers?

You know what happens when governments pick winners.:rolleyes:

alangirvan
24th Dec 2005, 04:28
Tiger like most LCCs is a point to point carrier, which means they do not provide connections onto their network or onto any other airline. Looking at their website, they sell ONLY Singapore out of Darwin. If their flight arrives too late to connect onto another flight you have booked, you will have a tense time finding out whether they are going to be nice about it.

It is up to the passenger to know what sort of visa is required by someone with the passport being used.

The Airline program about Easyjet shows their staff trying to repair mistakes made by passengers - some of those mistakes are beyond belief.

Kanga767
24th Dec 2005, 06:16
Like I said, you have all day to connect...

El Oso
25th Dec 2005, 00:17
Agree with "Alangirven". The Easyjet series "airline" was a good look into the stupidity of the public. As any pilot whose worked GA check in or other "coal face" public service industries will tell you; the public can't read signs or ticket details, have little common sense, lose what little brainpower they had when they enter an airport and often refuse to accept their own mistakes.

Check in staff deserve our praise I feel, I 've heard pilots dismiss them as those who couldn't pass the F/A interview or "looks" test - but they take all the cr*p and make it work for us. Whilst there are the odd nasty or incompetent check in staff, I reckon on average they do a good job.

Once saw a TV docco that said the average mental age of an american is about 12. Go ride the trains or buses or watch people on a ski-field for a while, (if is wasn't work it would qualify as a damn good comedy show), you'll soon see what they mean! And with the rise of LCC's IMHO the level of pax is dropping, so next time you see the check in staff just remember what they have to do...
:O

Sheep Guts
29th Dec 2005, 13:34
"Singapore Changi Airport is quite simply the most efficient Airport in the World"
Over 30 Million traversed its floors last year making connections etc.

I have travelled many times through this airport. I timed myself from exiting the SIA B777 to taxi stand in 12 minutes. Of which I got a Taxi instantaneously.

So those of you who are whinging about connections, Changi is seamless. ANYONE been to Delhi, or Mexico City, now at those airports complaints are warranted.

Sheep