PDA

View Full Version : What's going on at Goodwood?

Inverted Chopper
18th May 2005, 14:30
Does anyone know anything about Atlas Helicopters moving to a different Aerodrome, and if so, why they are moving? I have heard rumours that dirty work is a foot!

greenarrow
18th May 2005, 18:47
The company is on the move. They have secured an operating base that will allow them to grow and support their requirements of their customers.
The industry depends on competition and some times others get the wrong message when it appears that toes are being stamped on. Wakeup calls focus the mind!
Please be careful not to throw stones.:ok:

Inverted Chopper
19th May 2005, 07:52
greenarrow

Rest assured I'm not throwing stones. This is the trouble with rumours, they can very easily get twisted!

Any ideas where they are moving to, and whos' toes are being stepped on?

I wonder if the move might open up some job opertunities for the right people?

slartibardfast

I believe it is something to do with Mike Burns (I have heard his name mentioned) but don't quote me on that.

Plonquer Pilot
19th May 2005, 13:41
From their Website

"Atlas Helicopters – Company News
Goodwood Contract

Atlas Helicopters has been successful in winning a three-year contract to provide Goodwood Estates ( including the Motor racing Circuit and Racecourse ) with all of its helicopter requirements.

Our involvement with Goodwood will also include the provision of Heliport support for the Festival of Speed, Revival Meeting and Glorious Goodwood events.

Atlas look forward to a fruitful relationship with the Goodwood Group with a view of eventually relocating our corporate headquarters to Goodwood Airfield."

And

"Goodwood Helicopter Events
Atlas Helicopters Ltd through its relationship with Goodwood Estates, is the nominated helicopter charter provider for all of the Goodwood Events including:-

The Festival of Speed: 24th – 26th June 2005
Glorious Goodwood: 26th July – 30th July 2005
The Revival Meeting: 16th – 18th September 2005

Atlas Helicopters Ltd is directly responsible for transporting the Goodwood partners and event sponsors to the above events, offering a service in keeping with the Goodwood name."

Inverted Chopper
19th May 2005, 13:53
Plonquer Pilot

That's interesting, I had heard that there is a link between someone high up in that aerodrome and an employee of Atlas. :hmm:

Plank Cap
19th May 2005, 15:39
And what of the present Goodwood based operation, Elite Helicopters....?

alouette
19th May 2005, 17:41
Don't you dare and throw a stone. Your post is on the edge and I bet you are...probably the reason for being inverted. Anyway, be careful and think first before you put some trash on this board.:mad:

EESDL
19th May 2005, 17:46
Guess that's a smack in the face for Elite then!

Inverted Chopper
19th May 2005, 20:18
alouette

I am very sorry if I've over stepped the mark on this one, it really wasn't my intention to dirty the the name of Atlas! I was just curious as I had heard some things that concerned me.

plank cap

What sort of work do Elite do?

The Nr Fairy
20th May 2005, 04:23
Chopper:

You know what Atlas do, but not what one of the other big operators down that way does.

Hmm.

Inverted Chopper
20th May 2005, 07:45
The Nr Fairy

I have just re-read my entries on this thread, and have been unable to find anything implying that I know what Atlas or Elite do, so I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment.

I have heard of both Atlas and Elite, and I know that Atlas are/were based at Lee-on-Solent. It would also be fair to assume that both Atlas and Elite charter aircraft (as most operators do!), but thats about all I know, which is kind of why I asked!!

Please excuse my obvious ignorance!:O

212man
20th May 2005, 07:59
"Any ideas where they are moving to, and whos' toes are being stepped on? "

"That's interesting, I had heard that there is a link between someone high up in that aerodrome and an employee of Atlas."

I guess not as ignorant as you make out?

Inverted Chopper
20th May 2005, 08:23
212man

The rumour I heard (and I do stress, it was only a RUMOUR), did not, unfortunately, include a complete biography of the company or any details of where Atlas were moving to etc.... Also, it was 'plank cap' who revealed that Elite operate from Goodwood, not me!

What I don't want to do is make a direct accusation about something potentially very serious. Especially as it is only a rumour.

Billywizz
20th May 2005, 14:48
Elite helis do have a base at Goodwood after relocating from Waltham back in 2001. Not only AOC work, they also have a training school there after Stevevson avaition packed up working there.
As EESDL said "a bit of a smack"

Helinut
20th May 2005, 17:22
Looking at Elite's website, it looks like they are fighting back.

Is there anything to suggest that this is anything other than competition, and two operators with different approaches to the market doing business ??

Trident Helis
26th May 2005, 09:19
For those who wish to rumour monger concerning Atlas Helicopters' involvement at Goowdood and the set-up of an operating base, I wish to dispel once and for all the gossip which this industry is famour for!!

Atlas, as were four other helicopter companies, were approached to submit a formal tender to provide Goodwood Estates with helicopter charter capability for the next three years. On the basis of the Atlas tender, Atlas were awarded the contract. The main reasons for this being the availability of single and twin engine helicopters.

No underhand delaings took place and Atlas were awarded the contract fairly.

If someone has any other evidence to the contrary, I would like to hear it and I am sure Atlas' lawyers would too!!

Thaks Green Arrow for your positive feedback. Glad to hear that not all of the people in this stupid industry listen to non-founded gossip!!

Trident

fluffy5
26th May 2005, 11:06
pprune the "rumour network" :E
I heard the head of caa walks round in a chicken outfit ,but its just a rumour :E

purple chopper
26th May 2005, 12:48
Fluffy5 said - pprune the "rumour network"

Exactly surely the whole point of PPRUNE is to get the real story behind a story and to get a rumour put to bed once and for all.

Heliport
26th May 2005, 15:54
Trident Helis gives his occupation as an "Aviation Director".

Gosh, an 'Aviation Director' posting on our humble forum.
And he says lawyers might be interested in reading it as well.
We're going up in the world guys. :ok:

What's an Aviation Director? :uhoh: :confused:

Sabre Zero 1
26th May 2005, 16:09
If you read the title of this thread - Atlas Helicopters - doing the dirty? , it's clearly a question, not a statement.

I agree with 'purple chopper', this network is for rumours, those who don't like it may prefer to browse another website.

alouette
27th May 2005, 08:15
Just to remind "Wars started when vicious rumours started circulating". Sometimes it's better to keep the piehole shut. What ya say? :ok:

Trident Helis
31st May 2005, 12:23
I agree in the comment ' PPRUNE' is for rumour networking, but malicious gossip is another matter and can be very dangerous for a company. I think some of the people that contribute to this website should consider their inputs before placing them on the notice boards. Rumour is one thing.... Gossip is very much another!

Trident

verticalhold
31st May 2005, 15:17
Delighted for the Atlas guys and very sorry for Elite if this move hurts them. It would be impossible to find two nicer helicopter companies in the UK.

VH

Sabre Zero 1
2nd Jun 2005, 11:23
I think a closer look at the aerodrome at which they are both based may reveal an answer......it seems new management have annoyed alot of existing/previous clients and customers of Goodwood Aerodrome/Estate, and not just aviation related companies!

Just take a look at the landing fees for this years events at Goodwood compared to last year!!!

And all you get extra is a glass of bubbly!

Bargain:ok:

Trident Helis
2nd Jun 2005, 13:02
Sabre Zero 1,

Get real!!

Goodwood only used to charge the same landing fees for the Festival of Speed as per normal movements.

The Festival of Speed event in 2005 involves the set-up of extra fire cover, extra ground staff and handlers, additional atc coverage, a passenger reception area with champagne and canapes as well as courteousy transport to / from the event venue in luxury vehicles

Do you really expect to get away with just paying the usual £35 landing fee? Put this in perspective with Silverstone and you are getting an awful lot more for your money.

Hmmmm.

Heliport
2nd Jun 2005, 13:53
The "usual £35 landing fee"
Seems a lot if that's regardless of type?

When the FoS is on, the landing fee is apparently £25 per person on Friday and Saturday, and £35 per person on Sunday - payable in advance.

Up to £140 if four people fly in together. :eek:
And that doesn't include entry to the event.

Makes it an expensive day out.

Sabre Zero 1
2nd Jun 2005, 14:09
Trident

I know one of the poor guys that works at Goodwood that has to try to justify the extra cost this year to previous clients. Many say they are writing letters of complaint etc...They have lost some business for sure!

Speaks for itself I think!

People aren't stupid (mostly), they go to Goodwood to see prestigious cars or race horses, not pay an extra £30 for a glass of champagne and a finger nibble! And transport was laid on last year anyway.

Last year landing fees were about £15 per aircraft, this year it's £35 per seat, that means pilot too!!!
Justify that!!! :hmm:

Trident Helis
6th Jun 2005, 15:47
This cost does not include the pilot, it is passenger seat capacity!!!

Why do you feel that £140 to land at the Festival of Speed is expensive, but you are happy to pay £600 plus for Silverstone, £250 plus for Cheltenham, Ascot, Derby etc and £250 plus for the FA Cup Final???

Yes transport was laid on at Goodwood last year, however, complaints were made due to the "horse box" style transport that was provided, therefore, Goodwood have now upped their game and provide top quality transport for their clients.

I totally agree that most people are not stupid, hence they will see a complete change in the service that is provided by Goodwood this year. No matter what Goodwood decide to do, they will never please everyone!

Heliport
6th Jun 2005, 16:15
Do you mean "passenger seat capacity!!!"
or
number of passengers on board!!!

?

Sabre Zero 1
6th Jun 2005, 16:26
No matter what Goodwood do, they will never please everyone!
On that point I totally agree! It is incredibly difficult to please everyone when organising an event such as this, and hats off to the previous organisers for doing it so well in the past!

The question is, are the new organisers going to please more people than they annoy by upping the costs?

Vfrpilotpb
6th Jun 2005, 16:33
You can land at EGNH for much less than that, spend 80 quid on the town, that include tower, big wheel, fun house and females with KMK hats on, you and yer mate can go away really well tanked up, all for a C note, still I suppose I am easy!

Vfr:ok:

Three Blades
7th Jun 2005, 07:15
Is the hike in price at Goodwood FoS for commercial ferry trips only or does it also include private flights ?
Personally, I am happy to walk up the hill for half the difference !

Heliport
7th Jun 2005, 11:49
The inflated landing fees appear to apply to all landings during the FoS - whether or not you want canapes and luxury transport to the event.

Captain Universe
8th Jun 2005, 12:21
Apparently these new fees not only apply to the festival of speed but also the Revival meeting, you may get transport to the festival of speed but I thought the revival took place at the airfield so how do they justify the hike for that one. :confused:

206 jock
15th Jun 2005, 15:35
If you join the Aero club (£90), only the standard landing fee applies: so if you have three seats full, you win.

But if you plan to visit the Revival meet too, you win hands down by going down the Club route, as you again only pay the £11.26 landing fee.

Flying Pencil
30th Jun 2005, 12:29
Come on Sabre, stop fishing tell us what you know. Pretty bad weather on Saturday, is that what your on about? Rumour network, no names required, don't leave us hanging.

Hover Bovver
30th Jun 2005, 12:39
I flew into Goodwood, have to say the lady on the RT was one of THE best I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and it was busy at times- She new just how helicopters can be used and how to get the job done with a minimum of fuss .

hencloud
30th Jun 2005, 13:19
Is it true that Elite are shutting up their training division at Goodwood?

goose boy
30th Jun 2005, 13:34
HEN CLOUd

where did you hear that from

Sabre Zero 1
30th Jun 2005, 16:16
Why have my, and a couple of other, posts been removed from this thread?

Or did I dream typing it? :confused:

EESDL
30th Jun 2005, 16:21
Arrived on the Saturday to find some dumb plank driver flying around in circles in wx that was marginal for f-w vfr ops.
He eventually found the airfield, after some RT faff. Heaven knows how many notams he boinged around the area......2 aircraft flew through the 1500' boing south of the airfield 'in transit' when I was on the RT.

Happy days.............

Wonder how many times the Solent TRA has been boinged, to date.

Heliport
30th Jun 2005, 16:45
Why have my, and a couple of other, posts been removed from this thread? Because CAA personnel read Rotorheads and I don't want to risk any investigation being started in consequence of comments posted here.

SOP for this forum.

Heliport

Tony Chambers
30th Jun 2005, 17:45
I was on the ground at the helipad on the friday, it was quiet day and the WX was looking POO in the afternoon, and then finally it hit with vengence.
It was quite interesting watching some of the lighter helis trying to depart in the strong gusts.

Sabre Zero 1
1st Jul 2005, 07:41
Heliport

Fair dinkum!

Just annoyed me that so called 'professional pilots' can take chances like that, and get away with it so they can go and do it again somewhere else! :*

Something will go wrong sooner or later, and I feel sorry for whoever becomes a victim of it! :ouch:

Maninknow
10th Oct 2005, 16:46
If this one is still rumbling it is of interest to note that Trident seems to think 5 operators in total were invited to tender for this so called contract, my inside info tells me different, 4 Companies in total one of which had one R44 to there name and no real exoperience and has since gone bust, another was Elite, Atlasand one other ?. As for the 3 year contract, if you get hold of a copy of the Tender Letter you will note that it specifies for the 2005 events only, no mention whatsoever of 3 years, so where did that come from. That is fact and as such maybe Elite ought to be getting their act together, and other operators come to that, and requesting to be on the Tender List for 2006.

Rumour has it that no matter what anyone else bid the deal was done, and thats from the mouth of a Goodwood Employee.:D

fast flight
22nd Dec 2005, 09:50
I have heard rumors recently that Elite helicopters may be getting kicked off of goodwood aerodrome is there any truth to the rumors

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
22nd Dec 2005, 10:41
I think so. Heard someone upset either the Earl of March or one of his top people............

Heliport
22nd Dec 2005, 11:06
Wouldn't be surprised.

'Ultimate High' the advanced flying people were made to leave some time ago.

Captain Universe
22nd Dec 2005, 16:24
:O

Elite are apparently still alive and kicking, not gone yet, who knows what is going on down there

Maninknow
23rd Dec 2005, 07:16
:ok:

I know the guys (and gals) at Elite very well, in fact I had occassion to be at Goodwood this week and popped in to see them. If the rumours of being kicked out are true then Elite are certainly not showing the signs of this being the case. You would expect to see a bunch of very p---ed off people, far from it they are all very upbeat and positive.

They also have helicopters at White Waltham.

Getting to the bottom of the rumours is always difficult, people are protective, Elite were no exception. I did however discover that the maintenance organisation which is/was based in the hangar adjoining Elite's offices has closed for business as of this week. Apparently they were given 3 months notice to quit and have given up their 145 and closed shop.

Maybe, just maybe the rumours about Elite were actually contributed to the wrong Company, who knows, guess we will have to wait and see, but I for one wish them Good Luck and all succes for 2006.

I took the opportunioty to go to Atlas Helicopters (at Goodwood !!! ?) whilst I was there, No sign of any one from Atlas, no aircraft, vehicles, signs etc. etc. Maybe they are the operator who have gone ?.

Happy Crimble & The Best for 2006 to everyone.

RetreatingBlade
23rd Dec 2005, 15:18
Wasn't there something a little while ago about Elite Helicopters being kicked out of White Waltham, or was that a different company?

Also something about contravening health and safety at a Pleasure Flying event???

Please correct me if I'm wrong, memory not what it used to be anymore!

trevelyan
24th Dec 2005, 21:58
a rumour that if it turned out to be true wouldnt surprise me. Ultimate High were asked to leave, way too exciting and sexy, Vectair flying club have gone for reasons that depend on who you ask - cant believe the rotary boys are safe.

LM is after total control without anything taking turnover away from his own outfit, which is a surprise considering people still seem to want to pay 40 quid + for the revival, which is the same as the year before and the year before that etc..

They need to lose the stuffy elitist attitude, or the place will turn into the disused waste of land it was a few years ago.

Rant off.

Maninknow
3rd Jan 2006, 14:55
Retreating Blades Memory is definately failing as he appears to be wrong on all accounts. Elite Helicopters still have a base at Waltham, and have been there 10 years (Think it was Sloane who were ousted with a Council Enforcement Order against the Helicopter Fying School that the airfield did not fight. Elite are also still at Goodwood (well as of this morning when I was at Goodwood myself). And what I recall of the Health and Safety debacle was a Pleasure Flying excercise that incurred the wrath of an over zealous H&S Officer.

I like Elite, they are a good bunch, small,:ok: lean & keen. Stick it too them Glen

RetreatingBlade
3rd Jan 2006, 16:52
Maninknow,

I knew of the Sloanes issue, I was meaning after that when Elite moved their operational base to Goodwood, there was rumour at the time that they had been pushed from White Waltham due to ongoing arguements with the mangement at the airfield.

I knew I could rely on someone to correct any errors I had made, as to the rest of your comments, I guess that is each to his own.

Please change your username.
It is too close to 'Retreating Blade' - a username of long standing - and bound to cause confusion.
Thanks
Heliport

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
3rd Jan 2006, 20:54
Maninknow,

You clearly have an "in". However Elite, if they are going to survive, will need an engineering outfit to keep going. They do not have one, unless you know who will be replacing Rotocraft ? As far as I know, they are tech-less.

Not being argumentative, after all this is a rumour network !!

Cheers,

NEO

Maninknow
5th Jan 2006, 14:13
:eek: I certainly do have an IN NEO. Ive known Glen for 15 years personally and I always talk to the guys whenever I go to Goodwood which is quite often at the moment.

You are right they will need engineering, I am not sure what arrangements thay have made at the moment, must admit I forgot to ask that. I was talking to a young guy in the hangar who worked for the previous engineering Co, he was saying that HeliAir maintain Elites aircraft that are based at Waltham. I also heard that Aeromaritime were interested in Goodwood, this came from a different source however and I am not sure how reliable that source is.

If I find out more I will let you know.:ok:

ppheli
9th Jan 2006, 09:37
Maninknow - I can't imagine Aeromaritime interested in buying anything at the moment, given they are for sale themselves

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
9th Jan 2006, 23:19
Maninknow,

No need to sound defensive, after all this is a rumour network and we're all gossips aren't we ? At tghe moment The engineering support is missing, and as far as I know Elite have no replacement. Or do they ?

NEO

Maninknow
10th Jan 2006, 20:07
NEO. Sorry did not think I sounded defensive whatsoever, I have nothing to defend except that I know Glen personally, as I said I am not sure what they are going to do re engineering cos I did not think to ask. I like a good old gossip thats why I ask so many questions. Did hear again however that Aeromaritime were interested in doing something there, but I did not say they were looking to BUY anything as ppheli interpreted my gossip.

I also hear this week that Elite are moving into Twin Ops with a A109, thats not from Elite but yet another source, so may not be true.

Maninknow. :cool:

Captain Universe
11th Jan 2006, 12:11
Man-In-Know. Your name actually says it all, and you obviously are in the KNOW. I have also heard that Elite are getting into twins with an A109, apparently one of the owners of a heli that they already operate has bought one and they are working to put it on the AOC this spring, Big Step forward for them from the Jetranger/AS 350 market !!!.

CU

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Jan 2006, 12:37
Maninknow,

Sorry if I snapped a bit, no offence intended. The engineering concern is now firmly and finally closed, so I wonder where Elite will be getting their dailies etc done ? Shoreham ? Can't think of anywhere closer that has the facilites etc.

Interesting times !!

Cheers,

NEO:ok:

Cop-U-Later
11th Jan 2006, 12:38
All seems to be rumour about Elite Helicopters at this time, what ever happened to Atlas Helicopters I thought they were planning to move their corporate headquarters to Goodwood. Did this ever happen.

Nexp paragraph deleted.
Repeating a rumour about someone's "serious heath issue", naming the company for whom he works and identifying him as a "main man" in the company is not acceptable.
Whether the rumour is true or not makes no difference. People are enitled to privacy about personal matters.

Heliport

RetreatingBlade
11th Jan 2006, 18:22
I have deleted my comments.

The information that I have is from a VERY reliable source, as good as from the horses mouth as far a I am concerned.

I am starting to tire of Pprune, firstly I cannot choose the name that I want because it is deemed as vaguely similar to someone elses, and now I am at a point where I feel that people are making such a fuss over what is effectively a "rumour" that I have to delete my comments.

Once upon a time Pprune used to be a safe haven for people discussing industry rumours, it is becoming ridiculous.

Heliport,

Please e-mail me re:- name change

Captain Universe
12th Jan 2006, 11:15
Careful Retreating Blade, you can cause a lot of Innocent People a lot of harm in a very short time by 'Spreading Rumours' like that. You can not accuse someone of: 'Having trouble paying their bills' just because someone has a made a claim against them.

Maybe it is true that there is a claim being made, but by who, how much for and most importantly why have they not been paid. Maybe they owe money in return, maybe that debt has been outstanding for longer, maybe there is a Counter Claim being made or maybe there is a dispute over the charges made for the services provided.

Look Deep You Will See The Truth.

Maybe this subject is best left for the courts to decide, not us Rumour Mongers.

headsethair
12th Jan 2006, 14:07
I think RB's post is highly dubious and any solicitor could prove that such a post is damaging. Reading such a post would make me wary of giving any money to the company concerned, let alone leaving a helicopter with them.

Migh be a good idea to delete this thread to avoid legal nasties.

Captain Universe
13th Jan 2006, 12:27
I quite agree Headsethair. I would think the Moderator ought to be looking at this.

As for your comments Retreating Blade even if the RUMOUR came from a so called reliable source or not, it really is not fair to destabalise a Company like that. I made a phone call last night to a 'Very Reliable Source' right inside the other 'Horses Mouth' and I can tell you there is a lot more behind this than meets the eye. If I were to reveal what I now know here (which I believe to be the truth) then a certain person who has been spreading this gossip could be in big trouble if they do not put a few things right before moving on. I choose not to Spread the contents of that conversation, because in essence I would be Spreading Rumours that could harm someone proffessionally. You should do the same and I am glad you saw fit to remove your accusation.

As for your comments on pprune, if you are that peed off with it why do you bother logging on.

Good Luck with the name, I thought it was a good one. :ok:

Heliport
13th Jan 2006, 12:56
RetreatingBlade

Thank you for removing your comments. I didn't see them but, from what I've read, it seems like a good move.

Captain Universe

'RetreatingBlade' is indeed a good name.
However, 'Retreating Blade' is already well established so, to avoid confusion beyween 'RetreatingBlade' and 'Retreating Blade' I asked 'RetreatingBlade' if he'll re-register under a different username to avoid confusion with 'Retreating Blade'.

Heliport

RetreatingBlade
13th Jan 2006, 12:58
Captain Universe,

For me it was just a case of getting in before the mods.

The reason I continue to log on, is because sometimes there can be some very educational and informative threads, and only really on the odd occasion do I feel the need to post myself.

I liked the name too, but apparently it's not allowed!!!

Whirlygig
13th Jan 2006, 13:03
RB,

I don't think it's unreasonable of the mods to request you have a different name - after all, there are enough people here who can't tell the difference between Whirlybird (AKA Whirly with red personal title) and Whirlygig (AKA Whirls with blue personal title)!

Whilst the confusion can be sometimes amusing for us, it can also be irritating!

Cheers

Whirls

Captain Universe
13th Jan 2006, 13:16
Retreating Blade. I fully understand your point. Its just that you sounded very demoralised and disenchanted with Prune. Don't take it to seriously or personally after all this Forum is all about the Helicopter Industry. Shame about the name but guess someone beat you to it, sure you will come up with another just as good.

Sorry if I sounded agressive about the other business, but it was rather Thin Ice. Sensible move to retreat.
CU

WhySAS
14th Jan 2006, 08:12
Right, I'm back, with my new shiny identity!

CU, Is this as good as the last one???

Thanks RB. :ok:
Good name.
Heliport

Captain Universe
16th Jan 2006, 16:00
WhySAS: The new name brought a smile to my face. Wise Ass:ok:

N Arslow
16th Jan 2006, 16:48
Yes Yes - I know

EESDL
1st Apr 2006, 18:04
Who knows the latest - more rumours abound re new outfit/original outfit?
Let's hope it's all sorted by the time of Goodwood's big events - wouldn't want more bad publicity for the chopper fraternity..............

Maninknow
9th Apr 2006, 17:17
I hear that the situation has all been resolved and that Elite are back in favour again and have won back the contract for the Goodwood Events, rumour also has it that the deal is for 3 years and as Sole Operator at the Airfield. So I guess Atlas will have to leave the airfield, that honeymoon didnt last long. Sounds as though it was all about money at the end of the day. Well done Elite for not giving up.

Captain Universe
9th Apr 2006, 17:28
I heard the same Maninknow.

In fact Elite had a release sent out to all operators last week saying that they had won back the contract. Not sure about the term of the deal or the Sole Operator bit, but that would make sense. Looks like all those rumours about Elite leaving the airfield at the end of last December were well off the mark after all. Elite must be well pleased to have turned this around after only one season, guess something was not right with last years operations for the event, or as you say maybe it was just down to who would pay the most money. Either way well done Elite, and good luck with the new deal.

I also heard that Elite are going Twin with an A109, any substance in that as it seems a big step up the ladder.

CU

Maninknow
9th Apr 2006, 17:40
CU

I heard about the A109 some time back, I know they now have an owner who has bought one although it was operated into Cheltenham by Rotormotion from Redhill, nice new paint job, Royal Blue with a single Ferrari Red stripe. Quite Tasty, Rumour has it that Rotormotion are operating it until the AOC variation is completed by Elite. Guess if thats the case it will be buzzing around Goodwood at the Festival of Speed etc. As you say a big step up from the 206 market for Elite, but I am sure that they are well capable.

Captain Universe
11th Apr 2006, 18:33
Hey Maniknow have a look at both the Elite website www.elitehelicopters.co.uk and the Atlas site www.atlashelicopters.co.uk. Looks like they both hold a contract for 2006. Could be interesting. :)

Maninknow
13th Apr 2006, 15:04
CU. I think the Elite site was recently updated if thats anything to go by.

Anyone else out there heard any good Rumours on this one.

Moet04
3rd May 2006, 10:15
WHAT IS GOING ON AT GOODWOOD??

I have heard that the latest Goodwood Contract has been re-awarded to Elite and that Atlas no longer operate the contract. WHY???

Having flown for Atlas Helicopters during the 2005 Festival of Speed and Revival meeting, I can only comment on what a brilliant job the guys did. Their organisation of the charters ( of which there were many ) was first class with Alana, their Ops Manager running round ensuring everyone was happy ( customers & pilots alike ).

Having been present with one of the owners of Atlas during the FOS, whilst being congratulated by a senior manager of Goodwood on how efficient their operation was, I can only assume that the award of the latest contract was down to money and not quality of operation!!

I have been a freelance pilot for some 10 years ( IR'd ) and have worked for several AOC Holders. Atlas I have to say are amongst the better in the industry!!

Having come across Elite at most of the Special Events, I have to say that their aircraft and crews are not in the same league as Atlas. This is not to say they are not an operator worthy of the Goodwood contract; from what I understand they are welcome to it. With the way that Goodwood have treated Atlas ( and Fast Helis to a lesser extent ) they are well off out of there and returning to Lee-on-Solent, I believe, is their best move as I understand Goodwood do not want opposotion to Elite at the airfield!!

Does Elite have some kind of hold over Goodwood; dirt??
Why when awarding the contract in 2005 to a VIP Operation, would Goodwood return to Elite operating singles? With major international clients involved at both meetings, would they really want to fly in single engine aircraft?

I have also heard that Goodwood have not only asked Atlas to leave the airfield but also CEGA who have been there for 30 years. Sounds like the airfield is being turned into a business park involving non-aviation businesses as their hangar is being turned into offices!!

The Goodwood contract is not all it is cracked-up to be. With Goodwood demanding major sums of money for commission in return for the contract; it sounds as though they are sacrificing quality for cash!!!

topendtorque
3rd May 2006, 10:59
The Goodwood contract is not all it is cracked-up to be. With Goodwood demanding major sums of money for commission in return for the contract;
This has a very familiar ring tuit.

Sounds like tourist work downunder, in so called 'native title' areas where the hand is proffered - and not obliquely - well before the paper gets wet with ink.

verticalhold
3rd May 2006, 11:00
Atlas manage the amazing juggling act of keeping the customers and the staff happy at the same time. I've known Mike since we both started in the industry and Steve for a number of years. They deserve success, their work ethic is of the highest order and all dealings with them are a pleasure. Atlas is the company I miss from freelance days. I hope the current situation has not damaged them in any way.:ok:

THE EQUALISER
3rd May 2006, 12:06
HERE HERE!! I AGREE............ Atlas have been hard done by and I personally wish them all the best.
If you want no frills, cheap and don't worry about the state of the aircraft and pilots,then Elite is the company for you. They are the Easy Jet of the helicopter industry and can only imagine, that like Stelios, money has ruled Goodwoods decision rather than quality of service.

Keep up the good work Atlas

Captain Universe
3rd May 2006, 18:51
What a load of cobblers you lot talk. Maybe you should talk to a few other operators in the business to see how Elites reputation stands up against an operator who has done nothing but cause mayhem on the South Coast not to mention other areas of the country, try asking around and see how Atlas stand up in the industry for reputation of upsetting others and treading on toes.

In respect of quality of aircraft as far as I can recal not only did Elite have AS355, AS350 & EC120's working with them at the Festival in 2004 but they also had the S76 & A109 from Harrods carrying passengers for them. What better quality of Heli could you ask for. Further more as they had been successful for the previous 4 to 5 years at the Goodwood events and Atlas only managed to last for one maybe it is simply a fact that Goodwood's Management realised the error of their ways and simply reverted to the operator who had already proved themselves as best for the job. If I know Glenn & Sharon they will have been prepared to pay a fair price for this contract but not over the odds.

Moaning Moet asks why would Goodwood give the contract back to Elite and implies that they have a hold over Goodwood. Well maybe the question should be reversed and MM should be asking why Atlas LOST the contract. If Elite have a hold over Goodwood then they must be a ruddy powerful Company thats all I can say.

As for Equalisers comments I just hope none of Elites Pilots find out who that is. What a ruddy cheek of a comment about the calibre of pilots, I suggest he visits elite and looks at the pilot CV's, believe me there is some quality there, not recent licence holders fresh from Operations who think they know it all. Cheap No Frills Operation, hee hee thats a good one, if thats the case its surprising that Elite have lasted so long in such a vicious industry isnt it.

Surely Elite are subject to the same scrutiny as any other operator and as they seem to be seen at just about all of the Events I think they might just be getting something right.

My vote goes to Elite, well done guys & welcome back. May you long rule supreme at Goodwood, even if you did have to pay for it finacially this year and as a result of sculduggery last year. Personally I hope Atlas do go back to LOS with their tails between their legs and let the proffessionals get on with the job.

Moet04
3rd May 2006, 19:08
Captain Universe??? Captain Arse more like.

You appear not to quite have a grasp of the situation do you?
Atlas were awarded the 2005 contract after a fair tender and Elite have won the contract again after anothr tender...... simple! Atlas performed admirably in 2005 and the 2006 contract was awarded purely based on financial matters. That comes from the top in Goodwood.

I personally fly for several AOC Operations and have heard nothing bad regarding Atlas. I do not know which circles you travel, maybe a change is in order however. Treading on toes...... surely all new operators do that to existing companies when setting up!! GROW UP!!

The problem at Goodwood is that they have an operator which is desperate for the Goodwood work to survive. Atlas has a much stronger customer base and can quite happily and easily survive without it. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Captain Arse.

Having heard some of the spiteful rubbish spread by you; are you sure you are getting enough sex???

EESDL
3rd May 2006, 20:34
Moet04
That last sentence sounded like an offer!!!!!!!

Captain Universe
3rd May 2006, 20:44
Oooooh I really got to you didnt I MM. GOOD.

Firstly I get plenty thanks, but nice of you to show your concern in this area. As for the rest of your comment I am really pleased to have p----d you off so much. Just go back and review this whole thread and look at the injustice that has been put at Elites door over the past 6 to 8 months by various persons, thoughout this Elite seem to have kept their heads down, kept clean, got on with the job and come up trumps at the end of the day. Good On Them, they have my full support even if they do not have yours or anyone elses. How do you know it was a fair tender last year, how do you know what went on this year, what makes you think Elite have paid over the odds, what I do know is that Elite has succeeded where others have failed and I think that speaks for itself. To me it sounds as though this thread has been turned into a Whine Making Session with Sour Grapes. Booh Hoo Hoo.

As for me personally well I know the circles I move in and I think they are probably a lot nicer than yours.

Oh by the way what happened to the Three year contract that Atlas 'supposedly' had. Oh sorry I shoudnt be so nasty should I.

And I am really sorry but I dont smoke so can't even consider the pipe.

Nighty Night MM

Captain Universe
3rd May 2006, 20:49
I don't think I will be taking it up if it was an offer though EESDL as I think I know where he would like to stuff it up me, as he did seem to like to keep on about my A--e.

CU

Moet04
4th May 2006, 06:30
You seem a tad upset about the shinanigans at Goodwood!!! I think a lot more upset than the guys at Atlas after speaking to them!!

Your earlier comments regarding 'treading on toes' and 'causing mayhem on the South Coast'. Would you like to enlighten us all on what you mean? I didn' realise Atlas were the malitious, rampaging and mayhem causing kind.

Or

Maybe just some jealousy creaping in from certain areas as there is an operator on the South Coast who does things by the book ( i.e. not operating single engine helis over central Portmouth filming at 400-500 feet agl ).

hmmmm...

THE EQUALISER
4th May 2006, 08:07
Captain Universe, I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say you are on Elites payroll!
If this is correct then please have some dignity! I don't recall Atlas bad mouthing Elite last year when they won the contract, nor did they insist on being the sole operator on the airfield (being scared of the oposition!!!???).
Learn something from their book please and have some dignity............ contracts are won and lost all the time, but your conduct is uncalled for!

Flingingwings
4th May 2006, 10:06
Having read through this thread I think that more than one person could follow your comments above Equaliser. IMHO yourself included. Mud slinging is all to easy

Every operator I have had any contact with has 'bent' the rules to a greater or lesser extent and on some of those occasions it's been the pilots themselves that have been responsible rather than the company owners.

I fail to see how Goodwood Estates attitude is the responsibility of Elite, but I'm willing to be enlightened. For 2005 three companies tendered for the work: Atlas, Elite and FAST. The reasons are immaterial, on that occasion Atlas won. 2006 comes along and the same three tender, on this occasion Elite win. I call that healthy competition

If Elite are so desperate for the work (and I wouldn't agree) it's to their credit that their business has continued as per normal and that the company has grown. Or have you not seen their 109?

This industry always amazes me. For every great person you encounter there's always atleast two you're glad you don't work with

Lefthanddown
4th May 2006, 12:13
Whilst everyone seems to remember the "rumour" part of pprune well enough, it would seem from this thread that the "professional" part is too easily forgotten. Any normal person reading this would have thought that the pilot's children have taken over the asylum....can we raise the bar a little.
:{ :{ :ok:

verticalhold
4th May 2006, 14:55
Lefthanddown;

Maybe rather than raise the bar we should all just go to one instead. Amazing just how bitchy this business can get.

Accusations of trampling on peoples feet and causing chaos on the south coast countered with question marks over the standard of aircraft/pilots used by the other operator are so infantile I would hope that the people who made them are not flying paying customers around.

Elite got the contract, that is the decision of the Goodwood Estate. Atlas will continue to grow and be succesful. They are two very different companies. Personally my loyalties lie with Atlas who I have worked with, for and alongside for years as well as knowing them as friends. This thread is damaging to our industry and probably damn near slanderous/libellous to the companies involved. Maybe its' time the mods stepped in before things go too far.

Colonal Mustard
4th May 2006, 20:52
Whilst everyone seems to remember the "rumour" part of pprune well enough, it would seem from this thread that the "professional" part is too easily forgotten. Any normal person reading this would have thought that the pilot's children have taken over the asylum....can we raise the bar a little.
:{ :{ :ok:

why dont we organise a charity boxing match (involving masked ppruners in the ring) hence keeping the identities still unknown and raise some money at the same time, that`ll be a spiffing night:ok:

Southern Cross
4th May 2006, 21:38
I suggest "handbags at dawn".

Moet04
5th May 2006, 06:21
why dont we organise a charity boxing match (involving masked ppruners in the ring) hence keeping the identities still unknown and raise some money at the same time, that`ll be a spiffing night.

Sounds like a great idea....... especially knowing the person in question at Atlas who Captain Universe refers to in his thread as 'an ex Ops person who knows it all'.

Knowing the person at Atlas to whom he is almost certainly referrring to, that person would on finding out CU's comments would very much like to meet him. Being a firey Scotsman with a reputation of a short fuse.....good luck CU if he finds out who you are!!! I might just get him to read all this c..p to see his response....

By the way CU....... He probably does know it all as he has been in Ops / Management for some 18-20 years and I know several ex Ops persons who have become pilots and all are very capable!!!

Jealousy??????:}

Bobs-Your-Uncle
9th May 2006, 18:28
Sorry to change the direction of this thread........

Can anybody tell me if CEGA fly from Goodwood or Shoreham?

Cheers/Bob

EESDL
9th May 2006, 20:56
Ops people flying?
How? Did they blag a lift in the boot or on the skids?
Next, you'll be telling me that lumpy jumpers are allowed to fly!!!!!!!!

The Flying Dragoon
15th May 2006, 15:36
For everyones info:

Remainder of post deleted.

All PPRuNe users have the option of registering a username or their own name.

Trying to 'out' anonymous users' true ID means an automatic ban, whether the hunch is accurate or inaccurate.

Heliport

Heliotrope
5th Jul 2006, 13:40
I have also heard that Goodwood have not only asked Atlas to leave the airfield but also CEGA who have been there for 30 years. Sounds like the airfield is being turned into a business park involving non-aviation businesses as their hangar is being turned into offices!!

I found this out yesterday through a friend, and was truly amazed. :eek: They've only been at Goodwood since 1997 though. The company started out at Shoreham.

I worked for CEGA for nearly two years, and left them on extremely good terms with the offer of going back whenever I wanted. However, when I called a couple of months ago to follow this up, I was told that the company was undergoing a restructure, and that they would not be taking on anywhere near as many new staff as they had done in the past.

There was no mention that they were leaving Goodwood, though. I'm amazed, and I'd be really interested to know the reasons behind it. Their air ambulance fleet is based there (or at least it was all the time that Goodwood was their HQ, I don't know if this is still the case). It's a shame. It's such a nice place to work, especially this time of year.