PDA

View Full Version : German hang Glider missing in the Cedarberg

Gunship
22nd Dec 2005, 08:35
A helicopter has been searching for a 35-year-old German man after he went missing while hang gliding in the Cedarberg mountains in the Western Cape.

Rob Manzoni, the owner of a hang gliding lodge in Porterville north of Cape Town, said the man went missing in strong winds on Wednesday afternoon.

"He was last seen flying quite close to Citrusdal. He got blown quite far back in the mountains in strong winds," Manzoni said.

"There is plenty of water in the mountains. We are hoping that is walking out. A helicopter is looking for him."

A hang gliding competition is currently being held in the area.

The man was not part of the competition but was a guest at Manzoni's lodge. - Sapa

LINK (http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=qw1135238041132B252)

Gunship
22nd Dec 2005, 10:51
Good News :ok:

Rescue workers announced they had found a 35 year-old German man who went missing while hang gliding in Cedarberg mountains in South Africa's Western Cape Province, news reports said.

The unnamed man disappeared in strong winds in the area north of the city of Cape Town on Wednesday afternoon the owner of a hang gliding lodge where he was a guest.

"He has been found. He is safe. There are no further details," Janine Kaarstens, a staff member at the hang gliding lodge in the town of Porterville told the agency.

A rescue helicopter was dispatched early Thursday to search for the man who was last seen flying in strong winds in a mountainous area near Citrusdal.

A hang gliding competition was being held in the scenic area, according to reports. - dpa

LINK (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1854639,00.html)

B Sousa
22nd Dec 2005, 11:14
Hang Glider?? Im sure after a brief change of underwear he will be at it again...........l

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 07:48
Yes, one lucky "klipspringer".......took the scenic route I suppose, well, what some people wouldn't do to get into the newspapers.:p

Achtung, treat the Cape like a baby, cause it's sometimes very windy!

Tjorts:hmm:

Solly, bring da nog 'n doek.... GOU!

SIC
24th Dec 2005, 08:47
Once flew hang gliders before I had the cash for a comm - watched a buddy put his glider down halfway up that mountain outside Citrusdal. Took me four hours to hike up there to go see if he is ok - after I landed down at bottom. In the mean time the bugger had walked down so I ended up stuck halfway up at dusk. Last damn time I try and rescue someone. Wish there were rescue choppers around for us locals who dont stay at a lodge and might not pay the R 7000 bill when we dont make it back!!!