PDA

View Full Version : Type Ratings & JAAR Regulations

Finals4TheOutsideWorld
3rd Mar 2000, 20:38
Having just looked at getting something useful on my licence I have been mildly shocked (definate understatement!)at the hours requirements for single & twin. Is there any dispensation for experience?
I've just thrown a letter to the CAA but am not very hopeful of a positive response.
Cost for Twin Squirrel now jumps up to just under £10,000. (12hours x £680 + VAT!)
Is this a plot to kill off all self improvers and push everybody the way of the corporate big boys who will be able to bond their pilots for life?
I was expecting to pay some serious money but this is out of my league.
R22 here I come!

PUP
4th Mar 2000, 01:00
Don't worry too much about the JAR 8 hr Twin requirement, it is possible to get the FTO to seek an exemption from the CAA if you have plenty of experience on twins. In theory it may well be possible to do a Twin Squirrel type rating in a lot less than the notional 8 hrs.

tbc
8th Mar 2000, 17:07
As PUP says, any FTO can get a reduction from the suggested minimum of 8 hrs - ME SPH under JAA, to something approaching the industry standard of 3-5 hrs for a basic conversion. This is predicated on who you are and what you have been doing.

The deal that we have is we assess the individual and then basically decide how many hours we think it will be done in and then tell FCL that you will be arriving with a LST SPH with those hours on it. That then stops FCL rejecting you as you have less than the stated minimum