PDA

View Full Version : Training heli divert Airliner

glimmerman_alpha
21st Dec 2005, 13:55
Didn't see a posting earlier regarding the student of Starlite who apparently used runway 19 to cross instead of 01 which lead to an airliner being told to go-around after it was already on short final....:eek:

Any other info regarding the "incident"?:p

ASD
21st Dec 2005, 15:15
who apparently used runway 19 to cross instead of 01

Whats the difference if he crossed 19 instead of 01? Its the same runway :E

Execheli
21st Dec 2005, 16:08
The boeing was on final on 19 and the heli crossed in front of it.

herindoors
21st Dec 2005, 16:33
Check reg of aircraft Base 4 perhaps not starlite.OOPS

ASD
21st Dec 2005, 18:12
Truth is that this aint the first time its happened and it wont be the last either...

Happens when solo students fly around an international airport.

B Sousa
22nd Dec 2005, 11:32
Happens when solo students fly around an international airport.

How about when a lot of pilots fly, just happens more often with students........eases the pain to the struggling newbies a bit...

The term International means whoopee other than there is customs/immigration available. Class of airspace, at least in the FAA world, is the restricting factor for Student Pilots. If I remember CPT is Class C and South Africa has no Class B.
Were it Class B (in the states at least) it would clear most of the Training to some other venue as it would require endorsements etc. for flying in that area. A big expense for a starving student.
Personally I think JNB and CPT should be class B and brought up to those standards based on the type and amount of traffic being handled.... That costs money and requires more highly trained individuals. The ATC folks here can explain further.
No way is a 747 going to avoid some little mosquito R-22 in its way.
Just another little problem, waiting to become a big mess.

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 08:07
Bert, leave them, they're busy enough!

You're right anyway, change the airspace, and what then with the training schools? Some other ponds may get overcrowded.

That reminds me of the story about the wandering seacow Huberta. Initially thought to be a Hubert:ooh:

more here (http://zululand.kzn.org.za/zululand/about/211.html)

MF:p

B Sousa
23rd Dec 2005, 11:34
Some other ponds may get overcrowded.
Very Good MF, but the point being as a rule they wont be the ponds where the Majors/Heavies are flying too.
I live most of the time in a Class B enviornment. There is no training allowed. They are all at airports around the area outside Class B and it works better for them.
As to Hubert..Your smoking that stuff again, I've given up tryin to figure you out......

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 14:02
Hu Bert, don't give up so quickly!

I agree, training could be allowed only when capacity exists, which I'm is not often, looking at stats. Training here refers to bombing down an ILS, as there's not plenty around there. A major airport is just that, it's meant for the biggies. Where should these schools then move to?

User pay principal is one thing, but capacity is another. So we are in agreement on that point.

MF
It's a sad story the one on HuBERTa. Didn't mean anything about her being shot, were just poking fun, honestly and for the sake of history, as always. It shows how ignorant man can sometimes be.
:8 ;)

B Sousa
23rd Dec 2005, 14:09
Training here refers to bombing down an ILS

Instrument training is another story. Im talking of your basic sweatty palmed basic solo student (been there) barging onto the line in front of some monster.....
Instrument training in Class B is also restricted to Instructor and Student or Endorsed Student..... AND only if traffic permits. In La$ Vega$ its usually allowed between 0400 and 0600.

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 14:30
Eggxactily! Or rather - Obviously!

barging onto the line in front of some monster.....
Hippo or a heavy?:p

Cheer up Bert! You're ALMOST always right.:ok:

MF
Ps, Solly had a mid-air with an ostrich while he was out barn-storming, so we're having chicken-a-la-king for Christmas lunch. You think I can get a taxidermist to help me stuff it with guinea-fowl, I mean one with good recipes too!

:ugh:

Spetsnaz
23rd Dec 2005, 15:05
Sounds like the student confused instructions from the controllers. Now maybe if they spoke more clearly...? I've heard some confusing accents in and around FACT. I'm frequently dismayed that many of the foreign flag carriers dont ask for a "say again" more often. They dont have to speak like Tony Blair, but at least there could be more consistency.

birdlady
23rd Dec 2005, 15:27
Spetsnaz,

Excellent point. I dont know if any of you saw the documentary on BBC Prime a couple of days ago (I think it was called Crowded Skies). It was about an accident that took place over Delhi where due to pilot not understanding instructions he collided into another a/c - really scary stuff!!!!!!!. Ive never flown into CT international myself but have flown into Lanseria. Chalk and Cheese I know, but its amazing really how many pilots fly in without a proper grasp of the english language leading to a lot of frayed nerves :D :D :D Hell, Ive had problems understanding the tower - its those boerki accents.....................;) ;) ;)

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 15:41
Birdie....birdie yum, yum....

The ostrich, turned out, has for such a large bird, quite a pea for a brain, but back to aviation.

If one stays in another country, surely after the odd 6 -7 years one should be accustomed to the accents, let alone tradition etc. Granted officially there's 11 different languages in SA, but a bird-hop in and around the british isles let alone Europe, could leave one also with a lot more accents on the RT to try and get accustomed to, let alone one, Boertjie accent....:p

Anyone off to the see the fourty shades of green? The grass is definately greener there.....!? When are potatoes harvested, or are those not grown there anymore?

Carefull over the rocks, spiders lurk underneath.

MF:E
Ps. They (ostriches) are also known to stick their heads into the sand to avoid being seen, but Solly is known to be a sneaky bastard at times....at close to Vne.

Edit also to add this link for Irish aspirant instructors. Irish flying academy (http://www.irishstepdancing.com/) . Take off granted!

captain cumulonimbus
23rd Dec 2005, 21:22
IMHO 20 hours of listening to Commercial ATC ie 124.5/119.7 in JNB/CT respectively should be mandatory to all student pilots before going solo.

Its vitally important they are comfortable with comms and so few are at that stage.

elevateyourself
24th Dec 2005, 06:02
found having a handheld on full time at home whilst training a god send. if your spending that amount on your flying carreer then the cost of a radio is not significant. totally agree with the 20hrs odd. you get to have the radio for ever too!

birdlady
24th Dec 2005, 11:54
MF

Some how or another I knew I was going to get a rise out of you..........:ok: :ok: :E :E
Im still convinced that your smoking something. Must be really good stuff......;) ;) You dont beleive in leprachauns do you :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MysticFlyer
26th Dec 2005, 07:56
The early bird, catches the WORM!

I am NO worm. Called a Rockspider perhaps ONCE to my face...:p But regarding a rise...hold on, you're getting a pull, ready for your skiing lesson....

You and Bert WON'T get what I'm smoking. It has to do with rockspider-gibberish (Bert is showing advancements though, BAKGAT Bert!) and a bit of knowledge of the history of politics in SA and beyond, from a rockspiders point of view. You don't have to be one to be able to see the view though, but I'm sure that's confusing too. :ugh:

When in doubt refer to my previous posting. Does the SHOE fit, (academy-wise too)? Failte!:E

MF;)
Ps, Took Solly once to an Irish bar, saw the chairs on the ceiling, and well let's just say, some suurpap and four-leaf-clover-marogo landed on the floor. He was soooo furious thereafter, he dressed a thokolosi in green too and made him fix shoes while cooking pap. Now that's a sneaky thing if you can lay your eyes on it, twice! Well, they love Solly, and a couple of them are signed out on the Mk.II, but no diplomacy on the RT too you know!

:ooh:

birdlady
26th Dec 2005, 12:52
MF,

A little sensitive arent we??? :p :p

MysticFlyer
26th Dec 2005, 13:19
Me? Nevah!:p

Tell you what, you're missing out on something...learn Afrikaans. It may open up a whole new world for you too! Now remember, as in ANY airspace (or life), you get the odd non-conformers, that's to be expected, trust me.

But if attitude is just based on a prejudice.... :ugh:

Attitude.....remember, it's the same as in aviation too, it determines you're altitude!

That's my R5 worth! Now, this brings me back to the left-over ostrich and Solly's red wine shake-shake....excuse me please.

:}

Goldfish Jack
28th Dec 2005, 08:20
By the way it was not a boeing that went around!!!!!!!! It was an airbus....

The student got airborne in his helicopter and had a problem - the only area he could think of to land was at the threshold of runway 34, where they do their training, so he told the tower he had to land there. Tower accomodated him as the student was clearly rattled. So in the interests of safety they told the airbus to go around - dont see what all the panic is - just another day at work really!

Imagine if the student had tried to land back in the hangar area and crashed - how many hangars, a/c, people etc etc would have also been damaged. Don't know if he realised it, but the student made a good call, if you ask me.

talking about that point, can any chopper pilot explain to me how they can take off and land in front of a hangar - I thought the CATs/CARs did not allow that sort of thing, but then there are so many things in SA that are taking place contrary to legislation aren't they, judging by some of the postings on pprune!!!!!!!!

MysticFlyer
28th Dec 2005, 08:26
It was Bert that said it.......:rolleyes:

Right, Bert?

B Sousa
28th Dec 2005, 09:39
Mystic ........Dont get me mixed up in your stuff..
As to Helicopters, Landing and taking off from anywhere, its very possible and done all the time. Pilots just should be aware of their surroundings. Some folks take a dim view to them blowing off a door etc........

MysticFlyer
28th Dec 2005, 09:51
Nah, I think it's very clear that it was SRT, now that I've read it again! :p

Yank bashing gets one nowhere, sorry Bert.:( Dim view, perhaps they had dust in their eyes, man!

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2005, 09:56
Eh?:confused:

If you're going to use my name in vain, the least you could do is sacrifice a couple of virgins to me...:E

MysticFlyer
28th Dec 2005, 10:13
Ho do you think you're talking to, Capt. C perhaps?

:p
I think this whole issue is a diversion of some sort.....