PDA

View Full Version : Voip

gehenna
21st Dec 2005, 07:24
Folks

I currently live in Dubai, and use Skype to speak around the world, as the local 'phone company charge extortionate rates.

There is a rumour that they intend to purchase software in order to block the use of Skype. Any of you computer experts have any suggestions as to ways of circumventing this, should it happen?

Thanks very much.

Gouabafla
21st Dec 2005, 10:17
Skype isn't a standard VOIP programme. It actually works more like a file sharing system. I reckon that any software which blocks Skype won't block other VOIP things, so you may simply need to shift to another provider.

gehenna
21st Dec 2005, 12:22
Thanks for that Gouabafla; let's hope the locals aren't too smart and cut us off completely from the outside world!

Gouabafla
22nd Dec 2005, 06:49
My guess, is that long term there will be an ongoing battle between the phone companies and some sixteen year old kids in Rekjavik. The phone companies will invent software to block VOIP and the sixteen year old kids will find ways to beat the blocks. I suspect you might lose your connection from time to time, but if you keep your eyes and ears open, you should quickly find a new way around it.