PDA

View Full Version : Politicially Correct Christmas Greetings:

bealine
21st Dec 2005, 06:36
Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes
for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress,
nonaddictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice
holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and
medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2006, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Britain great (not to imply that Britain is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "Britain" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith, or sexual preference of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal.
It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting.
It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the
wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher.

This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual
application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher...

Disclaimer:

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Avman
21st Dec 2005, 09:19
Like it bealine, but I'm no longer sure if it's politically correct to laugh anymore :sad:

christep
21st Dec 2005, 18:31
I was on a BA flight from the US to LHR this week where the Captain (who had been quite chatty throughout) finished his "welcome to Heathrow" announcement by saying:

"And finally I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. And for those of you who feel this is politically incorrect... <pause for effect> ... I don't care!"

There was applause and laughter in the cabin (well, in the F cabin where I was at least).

madbadrob
22nd Dec 2005, 00:52
If we are being politically correct it would be best to drop the Winter Solstice remarks as these are used by worshiping pagans :) As for one who doesn't give a flying felines about being politically correct Merry Christmas to all on this board

Rob

TightSlot
22nd Dec 2005, 07:15
And please don't forget - Top O' the Season to ya from your Mods (I'll be operating early 26th LTN-FNC and am planning to make no verbal or visual reference whatsoever to Xmas)

Question: 25/26th Dec passengers are notorious for being totally bloody miserable. Why is this? I can understand that for a large percentage (if not a majority) of the world, the religous side may be a non-starter, but for those in Europe/USA - there is a relentness quality to the bloody-mindedness that makes me despair sometimes!!

Just curious
:confused:

radeng
22nd Dec 2005, 16:27
TightSlot,

It may well be that on Dec25/26, they're bloody miserable because they're on an aircraft! I know I would be, although maybe that's because I've already done 68 airline flights this year. The last one is going to be BA777 back to LHR from ARN on Friday 23rd......

And a merry Christmas to all our readers!

PAXboy
22nd Dec 2005, 19:06
Thanks very much TS, as it happens, I often deliberately book for 25/26 and 31/01 as I know that the flights and terminals are quieter and so I am relentlessly CHEERFUL on those days. :p

I have often found the staff and fellow pax very good natured on these dates. I recall travelling back from Banjul (The Gambia) on a B-Cal DC-10 (just after the take over but still in BCal colours, I think) on a Christmas day and we had a great party! Our departure took us across the main beach for the benefit of the recently inbound crew who had already set up camp there!! I learnt about that during my flight deck visit! Happy days. :D

Pax Vobiscum
22nd Dec 2005, 21:30
Best Xmas day I spent was in Jakarta airport waiting for my connection to Bali. Even flying Garuda couldn't dent my pleasure - no tinsel, no fat gits in red suits and no turkey!

Christmas - bah, humbug :p

P (it's being so cheerful what keeps me going) V

TightSlot
22nd Dec 2005, 22:16
PV - QED ;)

christep
22nd Dec 2005, 22:30
radeng,

I don't wish to start a willy-waving contest here, but 68 flights in a year is really not very many. My record is 198 in 2000 and I know that here are many road warriors out there who do a lot more than that.

PAXboy
23rd Dec 2005, 05:14
christep: In this time of good cheer, to mention the waving of the CEO of BA is surely in very bad taste? :=

Come to that, what is that taste in my mouth? Or was that in bad taste? :confused:

Sorry, did not mean to mention cu..... ah, arriving. :O

Oh well, it's back to the dwindling supply of miniture brandy bottles. :E

My flights this season are with a new carrier (for me) Norwegian Air Shuttle from STN or OSL and a couple of others with them. The 25th is quietly at home [ :sad: that sounds like I just died] and New Year will be in the small town of Røros in Norway, surrounded by snow and I have been told to bring a swimming cosi ... :ooh: :uhoh:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

radeng
24th Dec 2005, 08:59
Christep,

68 may not be, but at my age, they sometimes feel like 680!

As I get older, flying seems to be more tiring and the jet lag gets worse. It is also nice to be able spend a full weekend at home, too. Getting in at 0100 Saturday and out at 1400 Sunday does eat into one's time. Still, it's better than being unemployed......

And at least I'm not travelling again until January 5. Only 4 trips planned for Janurary - so far.

Happy Christmas all.

Jordan D
24th Dec 2005, 19:29
Tightslot - a possible reason for people feeling cheerless on the 25/26 is because they are flying: most people who have someone special or family often try and be with them at Christmas (and specifically on Christmas Day). The fact that they are flying often means they are alone, single, or have no one - and thus have no reason to feel even an iota of cheer.

Jordan

Itswindyout
25th Dec 2005, 07:01
The exec lounge will never be the same....even if they are now charging for the unused internet terminals.

I shall be in Moscow on 25th, O sh1t it is 25th.......never mind...I was scheduled to do Moscow-Munich, but I think the pax has a hangover.....

happ Xmas, or whatever to you all.....

Windy

PAXboy
26th Dec 2005, 14:44
Dear Windy, Thank you for your concern. I can reassure you that Luton will win out in the long term due, if nothing more, to being on my doorstep! The mess that they are currently in (such as baggage delivery times more than double what they were) are, I am sure, only temporary troubles that management will smooth away in the New Year. :hmm:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Itswindyout
27th Dec 2005, 05:41
Why does the passport check inbound take longer than the flight...I thought this was the improvement, so you dont notice the bags have not yet arrived.

On my last IB LTN the (easi) cabin crew suggested a P stop, on board before attempting to return to the home land....

So lets make this a PC Christmas, and all wish for a Luton Airport, devoid of all improvements....

or perhaps uncorrect, and a seperate two lines for all BRITISH passports......

Is it snowing in LTN yet.....

sorry.....its windy