PDA

View Full Version : Need help with dragging tail.

rabidpangolin
20th Dec 2005, 14:18
Hi Guys/Gals

I would like to aquire a tailwheel/dragger rating in South Africa. They seem to be few and far between. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. Are there Ag-schools that do this type of training for outsiders. I hold an SA comm with 2500+ hours, but would love to be able to fly a tailwheel aircraft. Any info/contacts much appreciated.

Seasons greetings from the sand.

mach decimal 83
20th Dec 2005, 22:35
hi rabid.

know of an Ag-school in Kroonstad (FAKS), owned by a guy, called Fanie Keyser, that might be able to assist you. tel no. Fantini Air 056 212 8474

Regards

I.R.PIRATE
21st Dec 2005, 08:32
Unfortunately, all I can help you with is a Turbo-Dak, dunno if thats what you had in mind....its a machine though.....

whiskeyflyer
21st Dec 2005, 08:33
I got a tail rating on an Avid Flyer a while back, out in Bapsfontain. Fitzpatrick was his name, best instructor every, but now sadly gone (RIP). Very much old school and if you forgot to keep moving you feet on the rudder pedals while taxing you meet the back of his hand on the back of your head.

Three axis machines like the Bushbaby are the most common form of tail draggers around now a days (I have had commercial pilots up and they loved it). Some are in PPL category and some in microlight (they fall on the boundary of weight limits etc)

click on
www.saplanes.co.za for telephone numbers

they'll put you in direction of current instructors.

sky waiter
21st Dec 2005, 09:39
Hi

not sure when you wana do it but we here at APTRAC, thats in PE are getting a citabria before the end of january next year. Its a 160Hp aerobatic aerie so if you not too heavy, max weight is 73kg between the two pilots in order not to exceed the C of G limits.

PM if you want more details or visit www.aptrac.com Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

MainPeanut
21st Dec 2005, 10:19
Hallo Rabid

I know Progress Flight Academy has a Cessna 120 that they use for taildragger conversions. You can check out www.flightacademy.co.za. Have fun.
MP:D javascript:smilie(':D')
big grin

EagleWings
21st Dec 2005, 13:27
Hi MP is this who I think It is? The Main Peanut with the Mait se bussi at HUEN!

I paid a visit to Progress a few weeks ago and Lulu was still in bits being referbished. Don't think she'll be back in the air 4 a while.
All the best from Kabul.
EW

Sultan Ismail
21st Dec 2005, 18:06
The man to speak to is Bob Ewing at Babcock Central Flying Academy at Grand Central Airport, Midrand.

He has years of flying taildraggers and has owned/flown Chipmunks. Tiger Moths and a Beech Staggerwing.

If you're really interested you can find the details on the Web.

Tokoloshe
21st Dec 2005, 19:56
Rabidpangolin if you are serious about doing this, pm me. Can possibly help you out.

jbayfan
21st Dec 2005, 20:49
I can confirm that APTRAC (www.aptrac.com) will have Citabria ZS-MYH by mid-January at the latest! The weight restriction is only for airbatics (CITABRIA spelled backwards for those that did not know!)

rabidpangolin
22nd Dec 2005, 13:26
Thanx for the help guys, kinda difficult to get info when you're stuck in the middle of some place that shouldn't be on the map.

I'll follow up on all the info.

ROARRRR!!!

Glassos
22nd Dec 2005, 16:19
How about a taildragger rating in the US by a South African pilot. See my website www.tailwheel-endorsement.com Good luck nevertheless.