PDA

View Full Version : CPL(A) to CPL(H)

Red Silk
26th May 1999, 19:42
Hello,

Does anyone know what requirements are needed to go from a UK FATPL(A) to a UK CPL(H)?

I currently have a UK FATPL and 1000 hours on fixed wing aircraft, but would like to add a helicopter rating on my licence. What exams would I have to do? And how many training hours are required by the CAA before I can go for the helicopter GFT?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ack2Main
29th May 1999, 02:02
The only real answer is to contact the CAA and fill in an assessment form, (at cost), but i suspect it won't be much. Can't see why you wan't helicopter if you already have a plank license

tigerpilot
29th May 1999, 10:06
Redsilk,

Unless you have pots of money and just want to do it for fun, I must concur with Ack2Main!

Stay bored, comfortable and richer!

Red Silk
29th May 1999, 11:44
Guys,

I asked this question because I have been hired by a helicopter airline who will be paying for my conversion course from fixed wing to helicopter. I am not doing it for the heck of it.

I am sure that there are peple who have gone from fixed wing to helicopter and vice versa. All I am asking is how much training I would have to do to qualify for the flight test. Would I have to go thru a set amount of training as required by the CAA or do I just fly until I am ready to take the test?

Any useful information would be much appreciated, gents.

RS

leading edge
30th May 1999, 12:02
reddo

I have been out of the UK scene for a while now but I think that you would have to do the Helicopter bit of all the ground exams
(theory of flight, basic gas turbines if you haven't alraedy done it on planks). I also reckon that you will have to do 30-40 hours helicopter including all the GFTs. You will probably have to do Navs as well!

As I say, I am not really in the UK scene now and my info may well be out of date. Try calling the CAA and speaking to Mike
Fooks-Bale who heads up helicopter training. He is a ex Bristow man and is extremely practical and knows his stuff (not just the books either)