PDA

View Full Version : Sprog needs some advice on helicopter training

Foetus
28th Feb 2000, 11:20
Dear All,

My first time on this site at the recommendation of a chopper pilot friend (Rob, ex-Aussie Navy) who suggested that I sound some people here out about helicopter training. I'm planning to move to the US in a few months after 12 years as a copper in Hong Kong to do what I've always wanted - fly choppers for a living. I'm 32, have 0 hours, and have been researching some flight schools on the web. I'll be based in VA initially and plan to do my CPL and CFI with a turbine transition. Does anyone know of two companies called Metrohelicopters or Helicopterhigh in VA? What are they like? Has anyone trained with them? Can anyone recommend another decent school in the DC area?
Whilst I can read all the neatly marketed patter put out by the schools, I need some cold hard facts about what life as a heli pilot will be like from people who have been there - both as a low-hour newbie, and as a more seasoned pilot. What's the average carreer curve like? (if there is such a thing as average in this game) What's a realistic first job? (How long's a piece of string - I know!)I'm interested in flying for a Police Dept/Search & Rescue/Medivac etc. Maybe someone who's in this line of work could give me some advice. I'm not expecting to walk into a job fresh out of training, but obviously want to be as prepared as I can. From what I've read, the airlines are on a recruiting drive at the moment and the chopper schools have apparently picked up on this. I don't think I've seen a single ad which doesn't include the line "now is the premier time to begin your career as a helicopter pilot". Is the drive really extending to choppers or is this just marketing bull? I'm open to any and all advice and would greatly appreciate any input/suggestions you have on training/the job/ratings I'd need etc. The list is endless!
Thanks fellas!

helidrvr
28th Feb 2000, 22:25
Given that this forum is still populated mostly by British pilots (although some of us non-Brits working very hard at changing this), you may also want to post your question on http://www.justhelicopters.com forum where most of the Americans hang out.

You might also find it useful to chop your "endless list" enquiry into smaller chunks so that a respondent isn't overwhelmed with the idea of having to write a 5,000 word essay all at once.

There is an excellent paper on your subject, written by a veteran instructor in Canada, titled "Bridging the Gap" which you can access via my web site under the aviation links.

Finally, the reason why this is a (relatively) good time to become a helicopter pilot has nothing to do with the airline hiring binge. The truth is that the vast majority of helo pilots is rapidly approaching mandatory retirement. When you realize that quite a few operators are faced with as much as half or more of their Captains being over age 50 (including yours truly), you can readily see the problem (for the operators) and opportunity (for you).

Good luck from All

King Air
28th Feb 2000, 22:52
Foetus:

How was your life in Hong Kong? and what equipment do u fly in there? I have been looking for a rotorwing job in Hong Kong, do u have any idea of where to find?
any suggestion would be great appreciated!