PDA

View Full Version : Should I join BALPA?

neverinbalance
27th Feb 2000, 22:45
Well guy's, that's the question. Could I have fors and againsts please?

PurplePitot
28th Feb 2000, 00:01
Accidents happen - Kill a passenger in the process and your up s**t creek. BALPAs legal aid is indispensable in this situation. Hope I will never need it!

Bell+
28th Feb 2000, 01:05
Unfortunately legal aid is the ONLY reason most people join BALPA. There seems very little else that they do other than list their huge sucesses in the fixed wing world. Fat lot of good that does us. Certainly in the 3 months BALPA have had official recognition in Bristows, there has been no change in day to day life. I am unaware of any initiative set up by BALPA to improve our lot. I think you will find 99% of pilots join only to protect themselves should the worst ever happen. Great way to spend your cash!

Captain Catastrophy
28th Feb 2000, 07:09
Most people I know join BALPA for the legal cover it offers but that is to ignore much of the work that goes on behind the scenes. BALPA also

1 Provides technical advice and support to industry and regulators
2 Lobbies for better working practises and a safer work environment via various international groups
3 Represents the interests of pilots in the drafting and amending of legislation

Whilst many are annoyed at the apparent failure of BALPA to produce miraculous changes to their local working conditions - please read Aerospits comments in the other BALPA thread - people should realise that we operate in an industry not just our own private companies and that we need someone to represent out interests in that industry. Should BALPA cease ro represent aircrew because the aircrew refuse to support them, then we leave ourselves sitting targets for the industry and regulators. BALPA warts and all is the best that we have and should be supported - the stronger the support, the more 'clout' they wil have and then we may see things start to happen.

PoodleVelour
3rd Mar 2000, 14:47
Not actually a helo driver chaps, but couldn't resist pointing out that BALPA's legal assitance didn't help the Kegworth crew very much, nor indeed the tragedy of the 747 go-around at London which hurt no-one but ended up with a suicide from the lefthand seat. If the company is out to "get" you, it will do so. Similarly, if in BALPA for legal reasons alone, then better Professional Liability insurance is available elsewhere at less than half the cost. Mind you it's a funny comic you get for your money too I suppose. :rolleyes:

suckback 6
4th Mar 2000, 00:18
I would have to agree with Captain Catastrophe. The work that BALPA does behind the scenes is invaluable. When the regs are being written the CAA get a say, the Operators get a say but the Pilots don't. BALPA however, for all its faults does manage to put forward the pilots view. However like any organisation it is only as active as its members want it to be.
As to the obvious point that it seems to work mainly for airline types, true but they make up the vast majority of members so that is only to be expected. The more helicopter jocks that join (both onshore and offshore) the more clout BALPA can have.

SARcastic
5th Mar 2000, 20:46
It is interesting to note at least two contributors mention giving BALPA "more clout" - What do you really think they can achieve against the might of the oil companies? Who,lets face it, are the root cause of the present salary scales in the North Sea. Does it not strike anyone that it is rather strange, when people are only too willing to complain about the poor salaries and then donate chunks of loot to BALPA, who (according to previous threads) have done absolutely nothing.(funny how that rings a bell).

leading edge
7th Mar 2000, 03:53
BALPA have done nothing for the helicopter industry as their main interest is the airlines. They are unlikely to represent a member too hard if it risks upsetting the helicopter companies because BALPA have to think of the majority of their members in existing employment.

Coupled with their lapdog realtionships with the helicopter operators it is unlikely that much will change in the near future. As a member, you don't know that your pathetic 2% pay rise has already been agreed between BALPA and the companies until you get it with no sign of any more and a lack of will by BALPA to fight for any more.

I agree with Poodle, I'd be getting my liability insurance for less somewhere else. The conditions for North Sea pilots will not improve until they get organised but I'm afraid that BALPA is not the appropriate vehicle to do it any more. The chances of things improving are slim I'm afraid andthe oly thing which will help is a helicopter pilot shortage. We are all victims of the free market economy whether we like it or not.

Captain Catastrophy
7th Mar 2000, 07:40
Made a horlicks of editing! the next post is the correct one!

[This message has been edited by Captain Catastrophy (edited 07 March 2000).]

Captain Catastrophy
7th Mar 2000, 07:50
Originally posted by Captain Catastrophy:
Complicated old world out there isn't it?

For every case of alleged BALPA failure there will be others who have a lot to be grateful for - I've no wish to start an argument about individual cases and I've no wish to argue helos v fixed wing, oil companies v operators etc as that has already been thrashed to death previously.

When people criticise any professional association for a lack of teeth or 'results' you have to bear in mind that it can't be easy running an association - you not only have to battle against hostile managements and regulators but you must also reconcile the differing viewpoints and desires of your own members who are delighted to hold forth but reluctant to actually do anything when the time comes ( there is no point going on strike if it can be broken ). The same members are also the first to knock on your door when something goes wrong! Balancing what you would like to achieve with what can be realistically achieved in the 'real world' is always going to upset someone. To be honest, an association is only as good as its members.

So should people join BALPA? Well, imagine a world in which managements negotiated either individually with pilots or 'local pilot's groups'and governments and industry legislated and regulated with little or no input from the piloting community.

BALAP are not perfect but I know what I prefer and, misguided or not, I will continue to pay up. Don't think that much of the comic though.