PDA

View Full Version : Provisional Job Offers

magicmick
19th Dec 2005, 19:25
Hi, a bit of a shot in the dark really, I am looking to start pilot training in the next 12 months after a 22 year career in the military as an avionics engineer (not a pilot). I am aware that some airlines are offering sponsorship to some trainees as they go into their training, sadly a lot of these schemes operate an age limit which would rule me out, so I am unable to apply for sponsorship schemes. I am quite prepared to fund my own training without sponsorship but I would be very interested to know if any airlines/ cargo carriers are prepared to interview and select people who are funding their own training and make provisional job offers to successful applicants.

I appreciate that it takes 14 months or so to train and any job offered now may well not be available in 14 months time, hence any job offer would be provisional, but a provisional offer with no guarantee is better than no offer at all and would give me a better feeling than paying vast sums of hard saved money without any offer, however provisional.

I would be very grateful if any of you ladies and gents could indicate whether or not such schemes are available and which organisations offer them.

Have a great Christmas and a safe and prosperous New Year.

no sponsor
19th Dec 2005, 22:02
Unlikely. I'm afraid you'll have to do the courses, and then get in the rather long queue for jobs.

scroggs
20th Dec 2005, 06:51
There are no schemes as such, but in times when jobs are relatively easy to come by and pilots not so, some airlines have in the past reserved places for ex-military pilots. Whether they would do the same for you is moot, but the only way you will find out is to contact them. It will only be an individual (and informal) arrangement between you and an airline, and nothing will be guaranteed, but it may be worth a shot. However, never forget that you are in competition with thousands of wannabes who will kill to get a shot at any job, so don't be surprised if you get nowhere!

Scroggs

Groundloop
20th Dec 2005, 08:32
Actually there are such schemes around. Thomsonfly and BACX come to mind at FTE in Jerez ie they select you, say you will probably have ajob and leave you to fund your training. I think they are described as "approved" training achemes as opposed to sponsored.

However they have age limits so would probably not be suitable.

CaptYanknBank
20th Dec 2005, 09:20
Hi,

Am afraid I agree with the others, highly unlikely you would receive an offer. Perhaps if you knew someone personally in a smaller outfit you might be lucky.

The closest possibility is if you complete all your training through a smaller FTO they may offer you an instructor position at the end once you've gone as far as to doing your Flight Instructor Rating also.

Good luck. :ok:

CY&B

smith
20th Dec 2005, 21:58
Try for a provisional offer with the comedy club in London, the material you use in your post will make a load of people laugh.

In all seriousness, I don't think airlines will give you a provisional job offer, holding it open for 18months or so, what happens if world economies crash, bird flu swamps the world or another 9/11 happens? Your provisional job offer will then be worthless.

Maybe going on an integrated course at Oxford or Jerez would be the best option as the grads from there are usually signed up by the airlines before the course has finished.

Good luck in what ever course of action you take.

Smith:ok: