PDA

View Full Version : CPL flying practice

glush
19th Dec 2005, 19:00
Hi, I have just signed up for my ATPL distance course at the grand old age of 45! Plan is to do the CPL, then FI(A) so that I can earn some money on a part time basis...

I'm a PPL with 240 hours, IMC and Night rating.... I wondered if anybody had any advice on what kind of PPL flying I could be doing over the next 9 months (whilst doing the exams) in order to really bring my skills/experience up to scratch for the CPL and FI flying course/exam??

Thanks!

TolTol
19th Dec 2005, 19:28
If your planning a x-country flight at anytime, leave Mr. GPS at home!! Other than that all I can suggest is to keep practicing the general maneuvers which you have done for the PPL and IMC.

smithgd
20th Dec 2005, 12:03
Having completed my CPL in Sept, here is my advice...

PFLs
Steep Turns
Vne dive recovery
Stalls
Instruments (Unusal att and basic intercepting)
Diversions
Circuits
Wobbly prop and bendy gear differences in not done already

Basically you need to practise the same stuff you did for the PPL test but to much tighter limits.

Good luck
smithgd

Linda Mollison
20th Dec 2005, 12:15
You should get hold of a copy of the Aplicants Guide to the CPL skill test from the CAA website:

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=1198

It includes a full profile on how the test takes place as well as skill test tolerances.

Linda

glush
21st Dec 2005, 18:08
Great stuff.... Many thanks for all your advice folks!

I've got about 18 hours in the Arrow, so I will plan to crack on with some time in this, AND leave Mr GPS at home (well maybe on the back seat and switched off!!).

Thanks again!