PDA

View Full Version : Great job JNB ATC

Romeo E.T.
18th Dec 2005, 21:03
Anyone that was active around 17h00B on 17th Dec 05 at JIA could have mistaken this place for Gatwick!!! The que for take off was about 5 aircraft, single runway only (Possibly Rny inspection on 03R) and the tower controller was on some "serious-S%$T". The que just kept on moving steadily with arrivals as well. Barelly had the preceeding aircraft rotated then the next arrival was at 500ft, as it vacated so the next aircraft started to roll for take-off. I suppose Radar was also working extremely well to get the timing and spacing just right. We took the runway and as the preceeding aircraft started to edge away from the centerline to vacate the runway we got our clearance to go, Another aircraft was now inside 3 miles on the approach behind us. As I pulled on the stick to initiate rotate the aircraft behind recieved clearance to land, I glanced down at the TCAS as we lifted off, the traffic behind was 100ft from touch-down, To the boys and gals in the big "fishbowl" WELL DONE, it was electrifying to behold and to partake.

PS why cant it always be like this, I have witnessned some agonizing long waiting periods at the hold at DBN and sometimes at CPT............Well we cant always have it our way I suppose

captain cumulonimbus
18th Dec 2005, 21:14
I must agree,JNB ATC is always a slick operation,despite the arduous conditions on the highveld in summer,being understaffed and having to deal with some prize idiots out there they seldom fail to impress me as a pilot.

I second what Romeo ET says,great job:ok:

PAXboy
19th Dec 2005, 01:28
Nonpilot speaking, I was priviledged to visit the tower there a few years ago and I was told, "When the European flights first gain our signal, after the long southerly slog in the might, they sound so much happier!" This was said with quiet satisfaction.

They also said that they help to keep an eye open on the Atlantic leg for those departing CPT and staying out to sea. Even though it's not their juridiction - they can help with overall information. Highly comforting words for a paxboy to hear.:D

flyboy2
19th Dec 2005, 01:42
The first contact with Johannesburg ATC when "coming home " from somewhere further north, is the best homecoming welcome there is .

The words " you are radar identified-continue as cleared "
are indeed like nectar ; after all previous ' conversations' to the north .

Well done FAJS ATC !
Compliments of the Season to you all !

Raw Return
22nd Dec 2005, 13:25
Thanks guys for the compliments. Not necessarily wishing to scratch your back right back but it’s crew with finger on pulse that makes our lives so much easier here as things tend to move along beautifully when everyone plays the game. By the way Rwy 03R closes every Saturday around this time, no comment on the timing as it’s one of the busiest times ref. arrivals and departures out of JB. (We yet have to convince management that the timing is not quite suitable….) Yes lots of challenges lying ahead of us (which I’m not going to cry about here) so please have patience as we need to send plenty students through the mill in order to get the numbers up again.
Compliments of the season and all the best for the new year.