PDA

View Full Version : All 737-200s Grounded in Nigeria

LongJohnThomas
18th Dec 2005, 07:16
News has just reached me that all 732s in Nigeria have been grounded effective sometime yesterday.
I really wonder if thats the first correct step the government should be taking?
If this is true, it means that most airlines have been grounded since the majority use the 732.
Chanchangi and sosoliso were grounded earlier in the week, and they are the only two others that use equipment that differ from the 732 (MD-82,DC-9 and B727)
I actually hope someone somewhere there knows exactly what they're doing?

:confused: :hmm:

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Dec 2005, 07:29
Could it possibly be maintenance issues rather than a specific type problem?

Rani
18th Dec 2005, 07:44
Actually it was the FAA which recommended the grounding to NCAA, because its inspectors (invited by FGN) found that most -200s had severe corrosion cracks on their vertical stabilizers!
Until this problem is rectified, I trust nobody will gamble with more lives.

This brings us back to the same age old argument that Nigeria needs good maintenance facilities and/or modern planes, and now!

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2005, 10:45
;)

Nigeria should, in theory, hardly be short of the moolah to finance them. Besides which, if the country and/or the oil companies put in a piping system for the gaseous by product from oil drilling, untold riches might arise. As it is, Nigeria contributes more global pollution through burning the gas than the rest of sub saharan Africa put together.

Tokunbo
18th Dec 2005, 12:46
Actually, Nigeria has one of Africa's largest LNG plants at Bonny Island. Two production trains were completed in 1999 and construction of more continues.

As far as 737 groundings, 'This Day'reports that all airlines operating 737s in Nigeria, with the exception of Aerocontractors (who have no 737 100 or 200s) have been affected Nigerian 737 Grounding (http://allafrica.com/stories/200512180001.html)

The cynic in me says that all will revert to the unacceptable norm once the publicity dies down, but I really do hope that, just for once, these 2 tragic events so close together will lead to a genuine reform within the Nigerian aviation sector.

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2005, 13:39
;) Gas flaring is the phrase for which I was searching earlier.
National Geographic, September 2005. The intention, or so I believe, is to cease this practise by 2008.
But still, with no money for teachers' salaries, from whence may come the financing for new aircraft?
It is a great shame!:eek:

Metro man
18th Dec 2005, 22:21
Remember the BAC 1-11 groundings a few years ago ? The figure of Nigeria having 10% of the worlds 1-11 fleet and 90% of its accidents springs to mind.

There is nothing wrong with the 737-200, indeed a new airline has started up in Australia with them (Ozjet), and many are still flying in the USA, though gradually being retired.

What's wrong is the maintenance and operation in Nigeria. Old aircraft breakdown, just like cars, and you need the capability to properly fix them. A twenty year old 737 may be very basic in the west when compared to a B777 or A340, but you still can't fix the autopilot under a tree with with a set of Chinese car tools.

With its oil Nigeria could be one of the richest countries in the world, but it doesn't even maintain its oil industry properly. The idea being to squeeze as much money out while putting as little in during your time in power before you get deposed.

And you think there is hope for aviation ?

LongJohnThomas
18th Dec 2005, 23:52
Just learnt that EAS airlines and ADC were seen flying today?
Could it be that they have met the requirements to operate the 732 safely, or has money exchanged hands again as is the norm?:confused: :ok:

arf1410
19th Dec 2005, 00:24
According to the linked article above, 737-200s were grounded do to non compliance with a specific AD. However, that AD does not actually apply to a single 737 registered in Nigeria???? IT only applies to specific line position airplanes! Anyone know what's really going on? Also, who specifically was fired from NCAA, and is the Mrs. Odutola mentioned in that article the former NCAA Airworthiness Director who was fired by Chikwe about 5 years ago?

ChiefT
19th Dec 2005, 13:01
The head of the NCAA, Eng. F. Onyeyiri was fired last Friday

LongJohnThomas
20th Dec 2005, 23:17
Cant see what difference thats gonna make man!
We still have fundamental problems!
If bringing the colonialists back will solve the problem, its my opinion that so shall it be!