PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in Africa

Justin88
18th Dec 2005, 05:58
Ok I know it’s been posted before but I just can’t find it, so once again your help out there would be much appreciated.

I am looking for information about traveling to Africa people tell me good storied and others tell me bad stories of there time in Africa. I want mine to obviously be a great story so where do I start…?

Botswana maybe, there seems to be a few operators? People say just arrive and pitch a tent. But surely it must be more difficult then that is an Australian CPL really all I need. I currently have about 800 hours and no IR maybe it’s worth getting my IR first before I go trotting off to some other country?

There is a lot of civil unrest in Africa is it safe or are you looking over your shoulder when you walk the streets? I have done most of my time flying into Aboriginal communities in the Kimberly and I live in a little community does this bare some resemblance to what life would be like over there. I don’t have running water in my caravan and electricity comes and goes, roughing it doesn’t worry me at all.

Someone please tell me what it’s really like…

superserong
18th Dec 2005, 06:20
Hi 88!

I if the guys in those communities you mentioned, run around with AK-47's and RPG's, you'll do just fine.

Try the companies in Maun Botswana, great flying and the IR rating shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

SS

MysticFlyer
18th Dec 2005, 07:44
Ag shame the Kimberly's of the world.

The Abbo's (affectionately) also had a raw deal, no running water or steady electricity there too, but a wealth of richess they sat on departed casually and still are....

Well as Cecil J Rhodes said, "every man has his price."

MF
We'll call this one a philosophy lesson Nr. 111 (The Nelson)

Coleman Myers
18th Dec 2005, 08:27
Send your resume to [email protected] - and go practice with your air rifle ...

:} Jokes

Gouabafla
18th Dec 2005, 16:34
First thing I would suggest is that you take a good look at a globe or an equal area projection map so that you can get an idea of just how big Africa is. Asking questions about the whole of Africa is if it was one small country won't get you many sensible answers.http://www.du.edu/ctir/images/How%20big%20is%20africa%20pic.gif

Justin88
19th Dec 2005, 23:10
Ak-47’s & RPG’s don’t bother me unless they hit me or in the case of the RPG even close. No one calls them abbos, ‘affectionately’ they are referred to up here as the black fellas. I know Africa is big hence my post where does one start, Maun seems to be from what I can gather the PKU of Broome of Australia maybe?

-Gouabafla My question although aimed at the hole of Africa was more of a where to start when looking at a map of Africa but thankyou for taking the time to post such a nice pic.

angelorange
20th Dec 2005, 14:22
great pic Gouabafla !

Yes just go and stay in Maun for a coupe of weeks - you won't regret visiting Okavango in any case! Just brush up on your PFLs for the C206 flight test!

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Dec 2005, 16:21
Ah, yes. The hole of Africa. One assumes that's where the hose will be inserted when the universe gets an enema...:E

james ozzie
20th Dec 2005, 18:19
The map projection is terrific Gouabafla but just note that Justin is signed in from Broome - I suspect that big empty places won't frighten him at all.

There is a road sign just outside Brisbane stating "Darwin 3400 km". Of course there is always a pom in a Landrover or a Frenchman on a bicycle willing to give it a go....!