PDA

View Full Version : AMSA contract awarded??

backend commander
17th Dec 2005, 11:47
Any news I hear it's close ????

sarprof
19th Dec 2005, 04:22
My source has informed me that an email recieved by them, indicated that Aero Rescue are the preferred tender, and that they propose to utilse 4 more Dornier 328's

Congratulatiosn to all involved.

Maybe now I will be able to find out if there are any operator positions that I can apply for.

Sarprof

Dashunder
19th Dec 2005, 05:05
Sarprof,

Check out Australian Maritime Systems (AMS), based in Brisbane, they are providing the backenders under contract to Aero Rescue.

SmoothCriminal
20th Dec 2005, 11:42
AeroRescue has been awarded with the contract for four more 328's.

Bases are Perth, Essendon, Cairns and ?!?!?!?!

Smoothie.....:ok:

AerocatS2A
21st Dec 2005, 02:08
How easy/hard will it be to find pilots willing to fly only 100 hours or so a year. Certainly not a job for the young pilot looking for an airline job. Good luck to them.

megle2
21st Dec 2005, 11:07
Try Brisbane as the last base.

Weed
22nd Dec 2005, 09:13
Ever wondered why there will be two fleets of almost identically equipped aircraft operating around the coast of Australia, one contracted to Coastwatch, the other to AMSA? Why not amalgamate them? Or would this be too close to Beazley's vision of a Coastguard?:confused:

Meeb
22nd Dec 2005, 14:07
Now made public....

Dotars (http://www.ministers.dotars.gov.au/wtr/releases/2005/December/077WT_2005.htm)

Good news indeed!

MAXX
29th Dec 2005, 21:58
AH FINALLY A RETIREMENT JOB ON ALMOST AIRLINE PAY

WHO HOOOOOO:D

Warped Wings
31st Dec 2005, 05:48
Based on the existing AMSA contact in Darwin, does anyone know what they will pay a captain on this contract? I would have guessed 70K max.

Also, any info on likely work rosters for standby coverage?

Cheers

WW

Slipri
2nd Jan 2006, 15:17
I've heard 74K and no allowances. Very good retirement job or one for those pilots that don't really want to fly much. Nice inside apparently!

GoNorth
3rd Jan 2006, 08:02
OK I'll bite..why is this a great retirement job?

Bugger all hours...may be 100 on the job.. maybe another 100 doing training/check to line/currency. No doubt the pilot will be sweating when it comes to base checks/route checks/instrument renewals etc. Minimal currency esp at night, low level, bad weather sends shivers down my spine.

Heaps of standby time. Waiting at the airport for that one call. Not as if you can stay at home and carry on as normal until you get that one call.

No allowances? Wouldn't surprise me with bean counters now making their way into management.

Slipri
3rd Jan 2006, 09:53
The scenario is a crusty old captain that wants a retirement job, ie flying approximatelly 100-150 hrs based in Cairns, Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth sounds good! just sitting around waiting for a call. I'd say he would be doing more than sweating when he gets his phone call, trying to remember what he is supposed to do seeing that it was so long since he last flew. A young first officer in the job because its big and shiny and the only job he could get, hoping that he could somehow get more than the 100-150 hours a year so that he can get hours up for that airline job he wants so much, he also trying to remember what his role is seeing that it might be his first multi crew environment job on a large turbo prop. Both meeting at the airport hearts racing not really knowing where they are off to or what they are supposed to do this dark and miserable evening. Meanwhile the back enders have put their brooms down in the hanger and are waiting patiently for the pilots to get their s#*t together. In cruise now still trying to keep up with the aircraft since their training was kept to a minumum due to finances being so tight i'd say 20hrs or so. It's called on the job training and I'm sure they will learn very quickly under the pressure and be very good at it.
Besides it will probably be worth it, that perfect job. Getting paid to sit around on your asses waiting for a phone to ring. I guess theory and SOP knowledge would be pretty shmick with all the time to study. Good hourly rate when you think about it.

Good luck!

RENURPP
3rd Jan 2006, 23:17
I would be interested to know whether they do have to be at the airport on call?

If so what in hell are you going to do all day?

Slipri
3rd Jan 2006, 23:35
I'd be playing Halo 2 on xbox and study of course.

GoNorth
3rd Jan 2006, 23:37
I would be interested to know whether they do have to be at the airport on call?

Yes standby is at the airport. You have 25 mins to get airborne from the call.

RENURPP
4th Jan 2006, 00:29
I understand why they are required to be at the airport but what a crap situation that is.
It will make it difficult to keep people interested. Any ideas as to what the company will provide to keep people interested. That is close to the worst job I could imagine.

I guess an ideal situation would be to remain current on the aircraft type, maybe on other contracts etc and then rostered for this type of work intermittently. Some thing like fly for coastwatch and AMSA. Have to be the same aircraft and company obviously.

MAXX
4th Jan 2006, 05:33
At present there is no requirement to be stanby at the airport,we have met our required response times in the past,however some guys see it as a blessing in disguise if we can get away from our missus and kids for awhile. No doubt we would get hold of some top quality movies. the territory type!

MAXX
4th Jan 2006, 05:43
backenders are highly paid $55-$65k professionals generally from RAAF/Coastwatch background they dont sweep hangers and usually work 6-8 hours a week... not a bad hourly rate wouldn't you think.

maximus
4th Jan 2006, 11:13
I fly a high performance turboprop out of Cairns and am approaching 54 years of age. My current job is pretty good and well paid (well above the award) but our management is continually trying to erode our working conditions to such an extent that there are several pilots in our organization who have for the last 12 months been looking for other work.
I know this may come as a shock to some of my younger brethren but after 35 years and many thousands of hours the novelty wears off. I still enjoy it but flying 100-200 hours per year and getting a comparable salary is very attractive.
Yeah sure, this may be a retirement job but I (along with some of my workmates) are interested and will probably apply. Working for a bunch of arse coverers wears a bit thin after a while. :*

Weed
5th Jan 2006, 10:08
Slipri has got a good point. Search and rescue, below lowest safe, at night, in foul weather, no simulator in the region, crew minimally current, high performance turbo prop... a recipe for disaster?

werner76
7th Jan 2006, 07:46
Sarprof,
Check out Australian Maritime Systems (AMS), based in Brisbane, they are providing the backenders under contract to Aero Rescue.

ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?