PDA

View Full Version : Strange large freighter (?) over Adelaide, South Aust

RJM
17th Dec 2005, 11:07
I'm not a regular here (and only a student PPL to boot) but I was wondering if anyone could help me identify an aircraft which I assume to be a freighter

For the second Saturday evening running, a very large aircraft with no noticeable marking has passed over my house at about 2030 on its way to Adelaide airport. I'm about 8kms from that airport.

Description from below:

All over grey with no apparent markings or windows

Very large swept wings which look high mounted

Four engines on pylons well spread across wingspan

'Pods' like wing tanks near the tip of each wing with what appear to be small propellors on the front of them

The undercarriage looks 'conventional' - ie no rows of wheels set close to fuselage

Large vertical stabiliser

Very loud jet noise, almost at mil jet level, overlaid by a continuous high pitched ringing noise

I thought it might be an Antonov or an Ilyushin.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

zerozero
18th Dec 2005, 15:25
Hard to say.

Try browsing www.airliners.net

Good luck!

RJM
19th Dec 2005, 04:35
Sorry about the lack of a picture. This Saturday night I'll lie in wait with my camera.

I looked on airliners.net as well as a few aircraft id sort of sites. No luck.

VP8
19th Dec 2005, 05:27
Was it a jet or Turboprop??

VEEPS

RJM
19th Dec 2005, 07:19
Definitely a jet. I've rung the airport a couple of times but haven't been able to get much help there. I'll persist and will get the answer from there or the local military airfield. It will be interesting to know what the damn thing was.

The only visible propellors on the plane were on the front of the pod at the end of each wing.

The plane was seriously big - at least 747 in size.

You wouldn't think such a large and visible thing would be a mystery, but there it is.

ALLDAYDELI
19th Dec 2005, 08:36
you say it was a jet then refer to propellors?? confusing.
It sounds to me like it was the Heavylift Cargo Pty Shorts Belfast that is down that way now. That is huge and has 4x props RR Tyne.

CargoOne
19th Dec 2005, 10:07
There are only three 4-engine jet aircraft which are "747 size":
747 :)
AN124 http://www.airliners.net/open.file/976754/M/
and C5 Galaxy http://www.airliners.net/open.file/976164/M/

RJM
19th Dec 2005, 11:56
I'd say it was at about 1000ft, and definitely had four jet engines. The 'props' were very small props I could see spinning in front of the pods I mentioned at each wingtip.

It looked most like an AN124 in wing configuration and landing gear arrangement, but had the aforementioned pods.

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't a C5 Galaxy because of the landing gear layout.

I'll find out the hard way (ringing the airport, believe it or not!) if I can and post the response here.

SimWes
20th Dec 2005, 01:10
Was it as Military Aircraft?

What about an Air to Air refueller (the old fashioned type)? They used to have little props on the front end of the hose pods

Then there are the different types of pods for different jobs fitted to them. Quite a few had little props. Believe they are there to generate Electricity to power the pods

Could almost be a KC135. Converted from a 707 I believe

Hope that helps

Specnut727
20th Dec 2005, 11:00
RJM

From your description it might be a C-17, but I haven't heard of the US Military bringing one here. But stranger things have happened.

Spec.

Speedbird48
20th Dec 2005, 23:00
Doesn't the Oz Air Force (RAAF) still have the 707-320's that they converted to have wingtip hose/drouges as well as a centerline one for air to air refueling??

707's get seriously big if they are seriously low?

Happy Christmas.

RJM
22nd Dec 2005, 00:29
SimWes, Speedbird48

http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/organisation/technology/aircraft/707.htm

"In the early nineties several Air Force 707s were converted to airto- air tankers at Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport. The conversion involved extensive modification of the aircraft’s fuel and avionic systems, and installation of two wingtip pods housing the hose and drogue (basket) used for Air-to-Air refuelling. The modification does not effect the 707s air transport capability, with the refuelling pods being removable to reduce weight and drag on non-tanker missions."

That's it. Thank you very much guys, and thanks PPRuNe! The swept wings, pods with little props and esp the noise level were all consistent with a 707 tanker. I was wrong about the wing position.

Confirmed with a guy at Richmond (the base in New South Wales for the RAAF's tankers). Both times the 707's were on their way west to Perth.

You were spot on SB48- a 707 low, in the evening, seriously big!

Cheers

RJM

PS Trust us to still have the 'old-fashioned type' of tanker. RAAF only retired its Dakotas a few years ago, then there are the F-111's...

Stan Schroeder
3rd Jan 2006, 15:45
Hi Crew

Put this one out to my mates in Auzz to see if they had an Idea, here are 2 of there responses.
They are big into military aviation, and very clued up on military aviation down under.

1) I am guessing but maybe a 707...

that would fit discription of 4 engined with wing pods for refueling..the wings are however set low

The engines could have possibly been turbojets which produce more noise then a turbofan jet engine.

Thats just a guess by the way..

Cheers

Andrew

--------------------

PLT OFFICER ANDREW TAYLOR "FUSH"/"ARCHERFISH"
2OCU/36 SQN

2) My guess C17 globemaster fits the description and the Yanks fly one in every week it used to land at canberra then onto edinburgh SA then into alice springs and out again.

Hope that helps, and a great new year to ya all.

W800i
5th Jan 2006, 12:55
Hi, I was on duty at Adelaide airport in late December. I saw a RAAF 707 land one early Saturday evening late in Decemebr, I cant remember the date. I would say this is what you saw. The old 707's are very loud but still a wonderful sight. With the RAAF purchasing A330 tankers you wont see them around the place for too much longer. Hope this was helpful!

Coleman Myers
12th Jan 2006, 16:12
IL-76 sneaking pilgrims to the HAJJ maybe ... ??? :}