PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Prepare?

Macgyver
17th Dec 2005, 02:02
Hello gents,

Like everyone here, I have my sights set on CX. At the moment, I would imagine that I would have the mins to apply within 2-3 years, and then have competitive mins within 5 years, so I still have a long way to go. I have a friend who flies for them, and he told me he will try to help me out once I have more flight time.

What's the best way for me to prepare for my goals? I have been studying a lot on advanced aerodynamics, and I plan on reading Handling the Big Jets soon. I've also been told to read a small manual that deals with the CX interview process. Is there anything else I can do?

I am also a little concerned about the fact that during the interview, you get asked questions about 747 and A340- how do you guys prepare for such questions? I know I can't get my hands on the AFMs for these planes, so how can I study the systems questions, and any other questions which are specific to these planes?

I have already read all the info in the stickies at the top of this forum, so I am looking for any additional advice.

As always, thanks in advance, and happy holidays!

Mac.

ConditionLever
19th Dec 2005, 12:08
You do not have to prepare for the tech part of the interview 5 years before you get to it. Worry about that later.

You also do not have to answer questions about the systems of heavy jets other than general questions about how large aeroplanes work. The kind of thing you learn in an ATPL.

The way you prepare is do your current job well. Be professional about it, learn how to fly IFR and get an ATPL. And get some multi turbine command time. Take an interest in ALL things aeronautical. Take the broad approach. The recruitment process is certainly NOT all about tech questions in interviews.

If you are 5 years away from an interview you think, then you are maybe 6 years away from a start date. That's longer than my whole career before cathay.

Have fun flying.