PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Low flying....

ARINC
16th Dec 2005, 18:47
Are these guys hand flying, Or do they have a really really good TFR ?

http://media.putfile.com/Seriously-Low-flighing

wg13_dummy
16th Dec 2005, 19:12
Nice vid but it was the subject of a thread a little while ago.

How low can you go? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=198375)

Black 'n Yellar
16th Dec 2005, 21:28
Yes it is a good video and seriously impressed all the Amerians I work with who are not allowed to fly below 1500 feet.
However, last night I saw something that was even more impressive: Night Crop Dusting. We were driving out of Yuma, Arizona at about 20:00 hrs and there was some bubba out there in his crop duster. This guy was n't just crop dusting at night, but he was low. We estimated 10 feet as he was dusting the fields to the side of the road, and then pulled up to about 40 feet to cross the road.
Not only was it amazing that he could find the right field at night, but he was pulling up to about 50 feet at the end of his run, putting on 90 degrees of bank before descending down to his dusting height of 10 feet. Somehow he avoided the lone trees in the field and the power lines by the road. I would like to have shaken the guy's hand when he landed and checked out how much Jeremiah Weed he was swigging. Either he is very good or very lucky, but it is the most foolhardy and yet impressive thing I have seen in my 11 years of aviation!!

detgnome
16th Dec 2005, 22:00
I know it's fun police, but there is something seriously wrong with their supervisory culture - seem to remember a GR1 back in GWW1 that was lost doing something similar.

Tourist
17th Dec 2005, 04:02
Detgnome, perhaps their supervisors accept that the risk is worthwhile to maintain the, perhaps useful, skill of flying very low

detgnome
17th Dec 2005, 07:36
Totally agree, but it's a fine line between an operationally important skill and gratuitous showboating!

vecvechookattack
18th Dec 2005, 09:47
operationally important skill

who are you kidding?

L J R
18th Dec 2005, 21:03
Night crop dusting is common place south west of Toowoomba.....
Has been for years...

Bob Viking
18th Dec 2005, 22:23
I can vouch for the fact that the Jags you saw were definitely flying manually. I'm pretty sure a TFR wouldn't work at those heights in any jet, but I stand to be corrected.
You can argue that it's unnecessary to fly so low, but I can assure you, there are times when flying that low is the only thing that could save your @ss. If I was to tell you when I'd have to find you and kill you.
I'm not condoning it of course..... but it does look prety cool!
BV:ok: