PDA

View Full Version : Security breach at JHB International

Gunship
16th Dec 2005, 16:56
happened to me before ... B747 full of pax from USA - Accra .. some just walked off ... **** ! The home affairs department admitted on Friday to a security breach at the Johannesburg International Airport after several passengers from Nigeria were able to enter the country without being cleared.

The Star newspaper reported on Friday that 100 passengers flying in from Lagos waltzed through immigration check points at the airport without having their passports stamped on Thursday morning.

The passengers had reportedly waited for 45 minutes for a customs official to arrive. When, after another 45 minutes there was still no one, they simply went through.

"About 109 passengers had their passports stamped," home affairs spokesperson Nkosana Sibuyi told Sapa.

"There was, however, a predicament that we had to deal with as there were only three immigration officers working at the time and other passengers managed to pass through without their passports being stamped."

He said it was not known how many of the passengers entered the country without having their passports stamped.

Sibuyi said some of the passengers had returned to the airport to have their travel documents approved.

"What we have also observed is that we have minimal officers at the airport.

"We are obviously exploring increasing our capacity in all ports of entries not just in Johannesburg," said Sibuyi.

"In terms of resolving this problem. Well, it's very easy because all the passengers who come into the country were given forms to fill in on the plane.

"These were submitted to custom officials.

"Our colleagues are checking whether they can trace these passengers using the information given in the forms."

He said the help of SA Airways would be enlisted to determine how many passengers still had to have their passports stamped.

The passengers were on an SAA aircraft which arrived at about 05:00.

LINK (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1851865,00.html)

B Sousa
16th Dec 2005, 18:11
Come on Guns. Folks from Nigeria are now SA Citizens.....
Viva,The new SA, open door for our brothers.
You dont think by chance some will actually leave do you??

captain cumulonimbus
16th Dec 2005, 22:29
I was there at 0515 and i can attest to it being total chaos.Not a single customs official and over 300 pax off two aircraft,the SAA as well as a GF A330 flight full.We waited well over an hour and nobody arrived to stamp.There was even a shortage of customs forms and the only person around,i presume from Customs,was a scruffy looking woman in jeans and a shawl who handed out about 100 of the forms,woefully insufficient.I actually walked through the barriers (trying to find a telephone number for customs)and could have waltzed straight through and into arrivals but as i'm crew and obviously will be in and out of there a lot i restrained myself and returned to the queue.

Aside from that,when i eventually found a telephone marked "customs hotline" i got a medical emergencies number.Next to it on the wall was a phone marked "medical emergencies' and the line on that was dead. The number provided on a poster in the customs hall was an invalid one.

If that is the level of efficiency in this country then i'm not surprised we're in the dismal mess we're in.What a good first impression to show our visitors.many of whom might otherwise have felt like investing in SA.:mad:

MysticFlyer
17th Dec 2005, 07:45
They probably reckon with the AU on track, see even madam speaker's a member, it may well have been a domestic flight, like in the EU.

Will everybody just please march in one direction? Stop pointing to government inefficiencies, lest government may think and use that to portray it as being racially motivated....

Remember "Ex unitate vires"? Originality:*

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Dec 2005, 07:48
Sometimes the truth can be a bitch, MF...:rolleyes:

Gunship
17th Dec 2005, 11:08
Aside from that,when i eventually found a telephone marked "customs hotline" i got a medical emergencies number.Next to it on the wall was a phone marked "medical emergencies' and the line on that was dead. The number provided on a poster in the customs hall was an invalid one.

Sounds like the exac motions the SAA captain went through over a year ago.

Eventually they (and some pax) gave up and walked off ... what a lot of horse radish.