PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Salaries .... III

Rotor
30th Apr 1999, 17:55
May I draw your attention to the posting in Rumours & News entitled Pilot Salaries III - posted by Sir Algernon Scruggs.

It would be interesting to hear the reactions from the rotary world to this discussion amongst our stiff wing colleagues.

Do we have any idea of the average salary for either IR or Non IR helicopter pilots, and how does it compare with the 'brain surgeons' that have posted to this thread?

PurplePitot
30th Apr 1999, 22:22
I leave the services shortly after 22 years service and have been actively seeking various flying appointments for the last 12 months or so and this is what I think are the salaries being paid.

Military 37K+
Police(PAS OSS) 28-30K
Police(Owned) 36K+
Charter 32K
Company pilot 36K+
North Sea(SFO starting) 32-35K
HEMS 30-36K
BAS 30K

The moral of the story is - Don't leave the military!!!!

maxvne
30th Apr 1999, 22:36
Purplepitot has got the figures just about right.As a north sea pilot we are not seeing any increase in salary this year as compared to our fixed wing counterparts and our future does'nt hold any pay increase either.Either stay in the military or try to go fixed wing if you can.The north sea is a declining industry.

pitchlink
1st May 1999, 01:37
I would like to know where purplepitot has been offered £32-35k to start as an SFO on the North Sea. If these figures ars to be believed there must indeed be a difference in the salary scales of the operators. £32k may be reasonable if previous military experience is taken into account, but don't be fooled into thinking that it will rise much whilst you occupy the left hand seat!
In my experience £35k is the starting salary of a first year commander without Aberdeen loading and if the recent past is anything to go by it may take a while to swap seats. Eight years as a North Sea co-pilot is not unheard of!!!! My advice is that if you are in it for the money, GO FIXED WING!!!

fraser
3rd May 1999, 01:07
I have been in the N.Sea for 15 years, 13 as a Capt. My present gross is 43500 a basic of 37000. Over the past 10 yrs my gross has increased by an average of 1.5% per year. All new starters are on a Max of 22000 during training in first 4-6 months thereafter depending on Ex maybe 28000 with far less favourable conditions ie pension PHI loss of licence hols etc. than previous. Stay in or go Fixed Wing. If I had gone Fixed when I left the serices my pay woud be close to double with far better conditions.

ENG OUT
3rd May 1999, 16:54
Freelance Pilots 'Day Rates' are normally
twin engine £250
single engine £200
But these do vary slightly.
I know people who get more than £250 a day, especially if they are training pilots for 170a's in preparation for instrument test etc.

PurplePitot
5th May 1999, 03:28
Hmmm. I don't know what to think now given the differing views between LeadingEdge and Fraser!! Nevertheless I can tell you the definitive pay scales for FOs (with a fair bit of flying time)
Bond
18K - 4 weeks
22K - until all ticks in boxes (2 months)
then 32650 inc by 600 per annum

BIH
Straight in at 33500 inc by 800 per annum
When all ticks in boxes (6-7 months) Captain rates starting from 35500
North Sea comd +3000

Decisions Decisions !!!

Rotarybloke
8th May 1999, 23:54
Purplepitot:

I'm ex-rotary (3 x SH tour) now relaxing on Tucanos till I leave. Have you got any fixed wing time at all, or is it just an ATPL(H) you have? I'm just a bit concerned that I may be shovelling the proverbial uphill with bags of rotary hours and a few weeny turbo-prop hours when it comes to commercial fixed-wing jobs. Any other rotary mates with experience of this situation, please pitch in.

------------------

PurplePitot
9th May 1999, 01:59
Hi RotaryBloke. I am afraid to say that I only have an ATPL(H)! When I did my licence about 9 years ago the fixed wing scene was awash with pilots and it paid very badly so I elected not to bother with an (A) and stick with what I knew. The feedback I get from everyone here is go FW and your sexy Tucano time will go down very well with the fixed wing community. I would say go with what you really want to do. If like me you have a military pension every month then who cares who pays what!!!

xyz_pilot
11th May 1999, 12:02
If you go T/prop you will get a comand as soon as you get the ATPL(A).

Unless to are a complet P**t. (At the moment some companies even give p**ts a comand so desparate is the need for T/prop capts)

EFATO
11th May 1999, 18:29
High Rotary Bloke. The highest paid rotary jobs are in the N Sea which is a declining industry. 2 oil companies (ELF and Marathon) announced today more job cuts therefore less people to transport offshore. There is no future career in the N Sea - so unless you want to be a poorly paid taxi driver flying small helios go Fixed Wing they like helio pilots 'cos they have multicrew exp.

Vulture
11th May 1999, 19:58
I've just left the green stuff. QHI, 3500hrs mainly Lx & Gaz. With only 350hrs stiff-wing - piston SE. Scraped together a frozen ATPL(A) having had an (H) for about 10 years but never used it. Minimal procedural IF experience. Just started training on B757 with major carrier and enjoying the challenge and the money. Perks are good so far but I've yet to get anywhere near the line and start working! I do miss Helos but I guess I'll get used to it. My stick-buddy on the course is also ex Helo (N.Sea).

It's a sweat but there are Jet jobs out there for ex-rotary - good luck.

sonic142
19th May 1999, 19:03
I realise that I'm just a brand new service pilot(training for 6 years(holding for 2 1/2), but I don't see the benefits yet of flying for a commercial helo organisation. I love the flying (SAR) and the pay is not too bad. I realise that you get messed around a lot and that you don't really mean that much to company and all of the other problems associated with being in the forces, but I still feel that the job is fun and worthwhile.

Skycop
20th May 1999, 23:53
Sonic, stick with it as long as you can because the chances are you are financially better off staying in. As for conditions of service...only you can tell. I left 5 yrs ago for quality of life reasons. I now do have the option to say "No, I am not doing that" and feel happy about my decision...but the salaries available outside are no longer so favourable. You can thank Margaret Thatcher for recognising the value of her Majesty's best some years ago; the differentials have overall been maintained since.

[This message has been edited by Skycop (edited 21 May 1999).]

sonic142
22nd May 1999, 19:29
SKYCOP

Thanx for your message. I'm kinda glad that maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side.

I hope all goes well for you in the future.