View Full Version : Instrument Ratings?

ASMUS
16th Dec 2005, 12:53
Please be patient.

Could anybody explain, please, in really easy words, what exactly means Instrument Ratings and why it's so big thing?

Is this so expensive or so difficult?

What I know about IR is that this is an paper which proof that U can fly helicopter based only on cockpits instruments, maps... right?

Thanks for any good explanations

Tomasz

Gerhardt
16th Dec 2005, 13:20
In short, flying IFR means flying predominantly by using the instruments on the panel (not by looking out the window). To fly IFR requires an instrument rating. It's not rocket science, but it does take a lot of studying and hard work to become proficient. And the extra flight time to get the rating costs a handful of dollars.

ASMUS
16th Dec 2005, 13:29
How much?

So it's more to study than to practice?

Thanks

Tomasz

CopterD
16th Dec 2005, 15:45
It's study AND practise. You have to learn a lot of procedures and be proficient in the air, flying solely on your navaids and instruments.

It's something you have to put time and money in for your training.

CopterD

highfinal
16th Dec 2005, 16:55
Hi Tomasz,

Your instrument rating for a rotorcraft will depend on what issuing authority you do it under.

Under FAA rules, where you can fly in a single engined piston helicopter, it will take a disciplined student just under 2 months (however I have known people take up to 6 months) and cost roughly $8K to include your materials and flying if you can complete it close to the minimum requirements (not too difficult)

Under JAA rules, the choices are much more limited, you MUST flying in an IFR turbine helicopter (MUCH more expensive), and the ground portion of the rating is more arduous. The cost of this is a lot higher, starting at around $45K for an ab initio student. This cost is very much dependent on experience and ability, for example if you have a recognised ICAO instrument rating and considerable actual IFR flight time it may cost much less.

The instrument rating is proof that you can satisfactorily navigate and manouver the aircraft by sole reference to the flight instruments, cope with emergency situations, and demonstrate adequate knowledge of the airspace system and navigation aids available to you, varying depending where you will be flying.

Many jobs require one, although often only for insurance requirements.

Some find it very difficult, others find that it is fairly easy, depends on your abilities and mentality. If you like systems, simple mathematics, and have a good memory it should pose no major problems for you.

Good luck with your studies

flap flap flap
16th Dec 2005, 17:59
>Under FAA rules, where you can fly in a single engined piston helicopter, it will take a disciplined student just under 2 months

- make that more like 3-4 months and $10,000, especially if its under part 61, or at a USA big 'factory' school

B Sousa
16th Dec 2005, 18:31
Lots of folks out here that are more knowledgable than me in the technical aspects, rules, etc..
The IMPORTANT REASON for an instrument rating as I see it today in the Helicopter industry is NOT that you will fly Instruments for a while, but that you COULD be intimidated, coerced, or just stupidly wander into IMC conditions while flying VFR for a VFR only company. The importance between having a rating/training and not, may just be the difference between life and death...

ASMUS
17th Dec 2005, 07:06
Thanks a lot.

I think that is all what I expect.

Now is clear.

Best regards

Tomasz

spybus
6th Jan 2006, 19:29
Anybody converted a NZ or Aussie fixed wing IR to rotary? Any advice would be welcome.

Upland Goose
6th Jan 2006, 20:09
Tomasz

In the bad old days we did not have Instrument Ratings in UK but were issued with "Competency to fly in Instrument Meteorological Conditions in Controlled Airspace" - this about sums up the IR in a nutshell!

Keeping the thing upright is ony part of the problem - working in a busy airspace environment and staying ahead of the game with the radio aids is rather sporty. Couple this to a malfunction, or two, then you have your work cut out.

Nevertheless, keep at it - it is a wonderful skill when mastered. Helicopters are very powerful under instruments.

UG

oxi
6th Jan 2006, 20:39
Spybus,

Talk to Ray at Kestral he will sort you out as he did me......03 5796 2373.

Regards

Bitmonx
6th Jan 2006, 21:19
It took me 6 weeks at Quantum Helicopters in Arizona. Done it with 40 hrs. IFR under the hood :D . I recommend Quantum very much. Done my ATPL-H there as well.:ok:

6th Jan 2006, 22:34
SPYBUS,

For the Aussie conversion check CAO 40.2.1 (8).

You may be able to do some of your training (conversion) in an "approved synthetic trainer" and/or get up to 20hrs out of the 40hrs discounted because you alrady hold a CIR.

Oogle
7th Jan 2006, 05:23
Spybus

To convert a fixed wing IR to helicopter (in Aus), you need to complete 20 hours of dual instrument instruction in the category of aircraft - in this case a helicopter (category meaning either helicopter of fixed wing). Will obviously have had to have passed the IR theory exams which I assume you would have done already.

The training must be done with a flying school APPROVED to give instrument flying training.

The flight test must be conducted on an instrument rated helicopter. If you do the test on an IFR single, you get issued a single engine instrument rating. What can you do with this rating??? Not much.:{

If you have the bucks, go the multi-engine route.

Good luck :ok:

spybus
7th Jan 2006, 22:55
Thanks for all replies. Will get onto it!!