PDA

View Full Version : HS to become CHC?

leading edge
25th Apr 1999, 08:58
Further to the recent dicussions about CHC's bid for HS, some sources report that HS is about to roll over and recommend to their shareholders that they accept CHC's bid to buy at NOK 40 per share.

There have even been discussions on how the various parts of each company will be carved up. Seems that Lloyd and Court (South Africa)will become part of CHI (CHC's international division), Vinland Helicopters will just be part of HS (or the other way round) and that the real casualty may be Bond who will become part of BIH.

This will`lead to a duopoly between CHC and OLOG/`Bristow in many parts of the world. There will, no doubt, be many oil companies who will be very nervous about the tendered prices in their next round of contract bids. There may well be some considerable price increases in the pipeline for them as CHC try to reduce what will be a huge debt. As OLOG still have huge debts from their purchase of 50% of Bristow, they also could take advantage of the now severely limited competition in some markets, notably the North Sea.

Where will the poor crews be in all this with not much opportunity to seek their fortunes elsewhere and little competition in pay scales and progression? Whilst there never has been much difference in payscales etc (funny that, isn't it?) there will probably now be even less. So boys and girls, which colour baseball bat would you like?

PurplePitot
27th Apr 1999, 00:05
I have just been invited to a job interview with Bond as a SFO as part of the new contract that Bond have secured. Does anyone know what the contract is and can they recommend Bond as an employer???

leading edge
27th Apr 1999, 02:06
Purple

Out of all the companies, Bond are probably the best to work for right now. If the CHC buyout of HS goes ahead, things may change as Bond may well lose it's own identity. Still, if you want to work on the North Sea, go for it, you'll be no worse off than anyone else! Check out "Press releases" at CHC's website www.chc.ca/

PurplePitot
27th Apr 1999, 03:04
Thanks LeadingEdge for the info. I hear that BIH are paying slightly more than Bond and in the light of the CHC press release BIH might be the one to plump for. I doubt that all the Bond pilots would have a salary increase to bring them into line!!

MaxNr
27th Apr 1999, 03:25
Hi Purplepitot....If its any help, I work for CHI and find them to be an excellent employer, with first class aircraft and a very competitive salary. Don`t get to tied up on which operator is better than the other (as inferred by Leading Edge), each has its own merits.....The industry in general is quite incestuous with a. buying stocks in b. and amalgamating with c. etc..Just enjoy the flying and remember to fly it until the last bit stops moving...

PurplePitot
27th Apr 1999, 22:05
Thanks for the info MaxNr especialy the tip about the moving bits!!! CHI???

EFATO
28th Apr 1999, 02:11
The N Sea helicopter industry is in decline as the oil price falls and the Oil Companies shed offshore jobs and reduce their helicopter budgets. Salaries are stagnating - Bond's last pay award was 0%!!. Most co-pilots are looking to go fixed wing and some companies have lost over 50%. This is why they are recruiting. If you are looking for a long rewarding career perhaps fixed wing is the answer

leading edge
28th Apr 1999, 08:18
Max Nr

I was not wishing to run down CHC as an employer, I was merely referring to the lack of choice for crews if Bond and BIH become one. I mentioned Bond because Purple had an interview with them. Whilst there are small differences in salary scales, the end result is often similar once allowances etc are included.

The North Sea operators long ago decided that they did not want pilots jumping from company to company for a few quid here and there which is why their respective workforces are relatively stable. Pilots generally only move when there are redundancies due to big contracts changing hands.

However, there have been some instances of pilots being taken on by companies who have won contracts from another operator at lower pay rates and with vastly inferior pension arrangements, which presumably reflects the lower contract rates they quoted to get the job in the first place.

This uses hard working and highly skilled crews as "bargaining chips" which I think devalues us all as professionals. Only unity among all of us will maintain our relative pays and conditions. Let's hope that the duopoly, if it happens, is good for the boys and girls working in the industry instead of maintaining profits in the face of falling oil prices.

fraser
3rd May 1999, 01:28
Don't Join Bond. They are no good to anybody. I have been with them for a long time, really in the rut. Lowest paid poorest conditions and very poorly managed. A very high turnover for these reasons. Having said that for those that stick it our and can put up with the crap pay and management, you face fits, providing the oil flows your job is secure and you get home most nights at home depending on your fleet. Also there is not just the N.Sea. Police, Ambulance, Light House, SAR. All said if you have any fixed wing asparations head that way, if you want money and easy living!

PurplePitot
5th May 1999, 01:28
Hmmm. I don't know what to think now given the differing views between LeadingEdge and Fraser!! Nevertheless I can tell you the definitive pay scales for FOs (with a fair bit of flying time)

Bond
18K - 4 weeks
22K - until all ticks in boxes (2 months)
then 32650 inc by 600 per annum

BIH
Straight in at 33500 inc by 800 per annum
When all ticks in boxes (6-7 months) Captain rates starting from 35500
North Sea comd +3000

Decisions Decisions !!!

PurplePitot
5th May 1999, 03:27
I have just posted that last message to the wrong thread. Oops!