PDA

View Full Version : cabin crew jobs, is age a factor?

gregers
15th Dec 2005, 23:13
I have been working in the oil industry for a number of years and to be honest, i think its time for a change. since leaving school i have been stuck in factories, warehouses and suchlike. having seen the profesionalism of cabin crew, and read the tales and banter in this forum over the past few weeks this has got me thinking, "hey, that sounds like the kind of job i SHOULD be doing" and to be honest i had thought about it whilst doing my career options but the careers advisor told me "forget it unless you can speak several languages".
I mentioned age in the heading bacause i just hit 40, though i realy don't look it. look more like 30 to be honest (something that really peeves the missus sometimes, would have thought she would have liked people thinking she had a toy-boy :D )
would there be any problem with age?. i am physically fit and healthy so that shouldn't cause a problem. and i know aircraft (work on a friends aircraft in my spare time) and am ok flying.

am i dreaming or has this old fart got a chance? LoL

best regards.

Greg

mooguy
16th Dec 2005, 08:57
If you were 40 and female, it would be harder that being 40 and male, as aviation is still one of the most chauvinistic sexist, and ageist industries to be in, make no mistake!

However, many airlines employ older people, and are have anti discriminatroy workplace laws.....they would be most of the large american carries, Qantas, Britsih Airways, Air Canada, Lufhansa etc etc

The ones to be avoid obviously would be airlines such as EMirates, Virgin and those generally known for hiring dollybirds, or those who state their cut off age as being 35.

Good luck, you'll get there with determination!

speedbirdhouse
16th Dec 2005, 09:10
Greg,

you'll even find "ageist" attitudes from "young" FA's already in the industry if posts around here are anything to go by.

It says much about their "cognitive" processes [lack of] if nothing else.

Good luck with your search.

Mooguy is pretty much on the money so applying in countries where laws prevent discrimination will offer a better chance.

keeperboy
16th Dec 2005, 15:32
Age definitely isn't an issue at BA. Actually, sometimes I think they might discriminate against young people! :)

I was 26 on my initial course at BA. I think there were about 25 of us. I was the second youngest. The majority fell in the 35 - 4 age group and there was also a 51 years old lady (who ahd no flying experience) on the course as well.

EI-CFC
16th Dec 2005, 18:22
I think a lot of the major airlines are getting over the "dolly" fixation they once had, a legacy from the heady 60's days of the "Air Hostess". This is leaving the door open for a wider variety of people to enter the role, which isn't nessecarily a bad thing!

gregers
17th Dec 2005, 17:04
thanks for all the input folks, very much apreciated. i live near Robin hood/Finningley/Sheffield/call it what you will??? airport (even the locals call it by different names) so carriers operating there will be my first port of enquiry. after that there is LBA and East mids within a reasonable driving distance (i already have a 72 mile round trip to work and back). with luck i will be successful, and if so i hope to fly with you folk some day.

all the best.

Greg

TightSlot
17th Dec 2005, 19:27
Thomsonfly at DSA are an expanding base and already employ crew there right across the age and experience spectrum: Good Luck ;)

gregers
17th Dec 2005, 19:47
Many thanks Tightslot. i will give them a call on monday after checking them out on t'internet. the more info i have on them and how things work will hopefully be beneficial.

also, may i take this oppertunity to wish all Cabin Crew a very merry christmas.

all the best.

Greg

amy_lou34
18th Dec 2005, 07:57
I work for BACX and there was a mom and daughter on our course, moms 49 and daughter 18! Neither of them had flown before either!!

Molly Moo 22
20th Dec 2005, 15:29
I work for Monarch and we no longer have an age limit for new starters. In many cases it is the older and more experienced (in life) people, that are most suited to the job as they tend to be more apt at dealing with people/problems etc. We recruit all year round and you would need to contact our head office in Luton if interested. However our nearest base to you is probably Manchester. Good luck.