PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Safety Advice

TomD
15th Dec 2005, 16:28
Hi,

Im a photographer looking for some safety advice before I get myself cooked taking photographs of planes taking off/landing

The local airport here is Marshalls (Cambridge/EGSC). The Runway is only about 150feet from the parimeter of the field. I am wanting to get some shots of planes coming in down the line of the landing lights (that are accross a road and in a field).

The airport gets lots of C130 and occasionally 747s. The 747's I gather are right on the limit in terms of runway lenght so come in over the road pretty low..

If I am 150/200 feet off the end of the runway, am I in danger of getting any jet blast off the 747s as they come over head ?

Thanks for any help..

chiglet
15th Dec 2005, 17:03
Was at Brize Norton 'tother week. There is a "layby" on the public road through the Approach lights. B747,L101 VC10 were among the types. BTW, Birmingham had a layby on the A46 near the threshold of R/W 06.
Short answer is....Enjoy yourself :ok:
watp,iktch

TomD
15th Dec 2005, 18:21
brilliant! thanks very much..

aerobelly
15th Dec 2005, 20:05
Although Marshall's is a business there really are some aviation enthusiasts there. My suggestion would be to contact Terry Holloway at Marshall's and ask his advice.

'b

Vacant Towers
16th Dec 2005, 02:20
Unlikely that 'jetblast' will get you, but the wake turbulence most certainly will.

VT

faultygoods
17th Dec 2005, 13:01
i have been about 20ft behind a phantom F4 with both its engines in reheat. it was warm, it was windy it was probably stupid too but my god did it give me a rush. then i got caught, but thats a different story!!!!!!!:)

Rainboe
17th Dec 2005, 16:46
I don't think so!

smudgethecat
19th Dec 2005, 16:50
why do people post such blatant lies ? 20 ft behind? on reheat ?? and your here to tell the tale ?????? :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

L Peacock
19th Dec 2005, 17:45
Faulty

Think your memory has become clouded. Anything 20ft behind and in-line with a reheated engine would be pretty much shredded or propelled a long distance in short period of time.

Wile E. Coyote
20th Dec 2005, 17:49
If you are 20' behind a reheated F-4 Phantom then you are standing in a flow of air that is

a) still supersonic (look at the shockwaves in a Phantom-II's exhaust during a night takeoff)
b) still rather warm (800C or more)

I've been about 100 yards behind a Vulcan starting to taxi and even the minimal amount of power used to start moving was enough to make me crouch down so I didn't get blown over, and I also turned away so I didn't get a facefull of soot...
:}