PDA

View Full Version : Basing in JNB for a few weeks

TimS
15th Dec 2005, 15:23
I am thinking of spending 3 or 4 weeks based in/around JNB in the new year. I would then be travelling up/down to varous Southern African locations to try and finalise various business bits that have been dragging on for two long.

Any suggestions for reasonable accommodation (must have Interenet) not too far from Airport.

Anyone know what hs happened to the two Holiday Inns near the airport - have they changed franchise or something ?

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 16:49
Lo Tim,

Sadly we missed each other (again).
Unsure of the new names of the Hotels but as far as I know there is a luxurious new one at the airport (or revamped old one).

I used to stay at the Airport Holiday Inn for many years and it was great then.

PS: If you are in CT - my house is open for you - anytime :ok:

Cheers and enjoy the trip !

Gunsss

MysticFlyer
15th Dec 2005, 17:27
Hey Gunss,

Prrotea, Holiday Inn or something in that line have bought them Tim....

Guns, I am also looking for a piss-up spot? Can we pull in cousin?
Me and the mates on the corner here in Boksburg, one has a contact in the airlines...jackets needed though....talk of a wheel-well though......

Hoe lyk dit bru? Moenie so weesie.....

Djou ou pêl,

MF

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 18:06
Tim,

THIS (http://www.go2africa.com/accomm_temp.asp?id=214) hotel group is quite cheap but what I hear from you - you would like a more posh place Sir :E

PS: Even if they are cheap - they are still on par / better than UK standard BY FAR for your monies worth.

Paid 114 pounds at Kensigton Holiday Inn ... Yik - that is a night at the Lost City :ok:

PS: SURELY NOT should be able to give you a good indicator as well as he has just spend a month or three in and around JHB .. (non SA view)

Cheers mate

Gunssssss

Tim,

maybe a good idea is a guest house.
Most of them I have stayed has ADSL (broad band) connections / wireless set-up in the Gauteng area.

Cheers,

Gunss

LINK 4 the Guest Houses around Jhb INT is here (http://www.accommodation.org.za/JhbInter.php)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Dec 2005, 19:38
Shirley was in JNB and didn't call for a beer?

There will be punishment....:E

captain cumulonimbus
15th Dec 2005, 20:07
the one Airport Holiday Inn has just become the "Airport Southern Sun".same establishment.Hope that helps.Never syayed there though.

Cb

saywhat
16th Dec 2005, 05:39
The hotel at the airport is an Intercontinental. Stayed there once. It has broadband inernet, and is very comfortable. Across the road from the terminal, so you won't need to rely on taxi's etc.

Gunship
10th Jan 2006, 19:30
Are you still coming to SA TimS ?

MysticFlyer
10th Jan 2006, 20:11
Row, row, row your boat....gently down.....the stream.

four engine jock
10th Jan 2006, 22:48
Birtchwood hotel is the best place.
the have a pub there called HIFLYERZ
Its an avaition bar.
cool place. check it out. www.birtchwood.co.za

have fun

B Sousa
11th Jan 2006, 00:10
Forget JNB. Get a car rental , pack some food from Pick N Pay and head to some little out of the way place like...........Dullstroom, Mt Sheba etc (after throwing darts at the map) Theres a bunch of neat hideawys throughout that beautiful country where one can relax and have a few brewskis without the problems of work..... B/Bs Hotels etc All good times....
I always say once you visit South Africa, you WILL return.

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Jan 2006, 06:30
I always say once you visit South Africa, you WILL return.

Even if it's only to identify the oke who mugged you in the police lineup...:E

Deskjocky
11th Jan 2006, 07:37
Definitely go for the Birchwood-even if its to make Hiflyrz your local for the duration- nose section incl flight deck of ex SAA B747 200 on display