PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Landing gear ??

VTS
15th Dec 2005, 12:21
:confused: Guys...I am confused ..please could you help ?

I heard from a person who knows a person who knows a person who works for ACSA and this person mentioned that JIA may soon have a similiar situation to FACT w.r.t the breaking up of the run way and that this was mainly due to certain aircraft (777 was mentioned I think) with 'tripod landing gear'.

Now being a flingwinger we mainly have skids and the odd one or two have wheels and I do know about taildraggers and tri-cycle landing gear but this new phrase 'tripod' has got me by the proverbials.

Any ideas ?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Treetopflyer
15th Dec 2005, 16:38
Would it mean 'three bogies on each main gear leg' like on the 777s?

Or 'three main gear legs' like on the larger DC10s ad A340s?

And what word would that ACSA person use to describe the An124 landing gear? Just curious...:} :} :}

MysticFlyer
15th Dec 2005, 16:39
b:yuk: b:yuk: ull......sh:yuk: itt!

Edited to add: what really made me laugh was in the newspaper-report, posted on that issue, that even "mole activity" was thought of. Methinks a lack of maintenance can lead to flaking etc.

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 16:46
So nothing worthwhile to comment on Misty ? :E

b b ull......sh itt!

MysticFlyer
15th Dec 2005, 17:14
has been a busy day, since I left it, easy does it...stadig oor die klippies, ek kom daarby.....m@k-mour....

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 17:54
m@k-mour

The Jet Blast thread is HERE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16) meneer. :E

yogibear
16th Dec 2005, 16:13
:p ....Sheesh Mystic......a bit of narcosis there or what ?...:hmm:
Guess they could have forgotten to add in termites, who for years have been undermining runways all over africa in an attempt to become the dominant species on the planet ????

Thanks treetop....as you can see was trying to find out what 'tripod' landing gear was and not trying to verify the source of the statement but hey I am just your average bear huh ?.....:}

MysticFlyer
16th Dec 2005, 17:51
Yes Yogi, that's what I said, necrosis or negrophelia yes, that big word.

I laughed for 10min. It was on the Cape Town runway thread, no time now to find, quick search to find it was unsuccessfull.

Yes swaer, boegoe-brandewyn's out and rock-around-the-ossewa tonight!

MF

samueldethierry
21st Dec 2005, 20:28
Yes well, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Saudi Arabian, Emirates and maybe a few others (kenya Airways + air austral Sometimes)bring full B777's (both 200 and 300s) in daily, and the air is very thin in Jo'burg being elevated to around 5000feet, causing less air-lift under wings, meaning harder landings?

Yes, Cape Town has been having runway trouble as well, they also recieve 777's.

Emirates 777-300 arriving with a bang into JNB:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=556812&size=L&width=1024&height=695&sok=JURER%20%20%28nvepensg_trarevp%20YVXR%20%27Obrvat%20777% 25%27%29%20NAQ%20%28pbhagel%20%3D%20%27Fbhgu%20Nsevpn%27%29% 20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=34

MysticFlyer
23rd Dec 2005, 08:59
Samuel,

The "thrust under wings" one is really good.:ok: You're refering to the engines I suppose....shaking the wiring loose on a heavy landing?:ugh:

Oh well, once had a prop shaft broken at the coupling, not on the APU side, but on the Bogey side, right where it passes the flange at the diff to the main undercarraige drive train. This after I told Solly a thousand times not to double-clutch before hitting second gear, al this just prior to V1! In rainy conditions, the traction control on the 6X6 Global Express never lost it's footing on the tarmac too!

I remember it cost me a whole now transmission gearbox on the Global Express, but fortunately Solly's cousin knew someone in Joburg to do the job and the insurance paid up! Thank goodness it's running again! Keep up the good work.:ok:

MF

Guns, hou die wyn terug op hierdie ou, ek dink hy rook ou Army kouse met pille, en snuif Mycota ook! Sal graag wil join, soek ook 'n elevation!:ooh: