PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here too

mvbuster
2nd Apr 1999, 09:48
I am a 'wannabee' in Oz. Any advice on getting started in a helicopter career would be great. I am 30, married and we have a baby, but we are still pretty mobile and willing to move around.
Some schools are more optimistic than others, but the advice varies a bit. I have heard about low time pilots getting co-pilot jobs. Any have experience with that? How soon can a guy get offshore in this line of work?
Looking forward to any replies.
Thanks.

Roger Greendeck
3rd Apr 1999, 03:34
Best of luck getting your new career off the ground. Helicopter training is VERY expensive. As you have other commitments you may be better off starting in fixed wing. By wary of flying schools giving you rosy predictions, they have vested interest in you doing your training. All the best.

mvbuster
16th Apr 1999, 00:28
Roger G, thanks for you advice. To be honest, all of the schools I have contacted here have presented a glum view of job prospects etc. I get varying advice (as can be expected) concerning the first job. Some say mustering, others say mustering only if you know a cow back to front (fortunately I don't). I am now hearing of the possibility of co-pilot positions.

What I have found difficulty as a budding pilot in both F/W and R/W is finding a school that makes me feel like I my money will be well spent with them.

Thanks again.